FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Canopy by Hilton Philadelphia Center City {US-PA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2035409-canopy-hilton-philadelphia-center-city-us-pa.html)

NYCRachel Mar 6, 2021 4:21 pm

Canopy by Hilton Philadelphia Center City {US-PA}

Anyone been to this new spot? Debating between here and The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection.

BobH Mar 7, 2021 10:20 am

I haven't stayed there, but from the web site the rooms look small. When I need to be in Center City, Philadelphia I prefer to stay at the ES which is walking distance from Suburban Station.

Bob H

smmrfld Mar 7, 2021 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 33083651)
I haven't stayed there, but from the web site the rooms look small. When I need to be in Center City, Philadelphia I prefer to stay at the ES which is walking distance from Suburban Station.

Bob H

That property is history.

dw Mar 7, 2021 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 33083856)
That property is history.

Thanks for pointing this out- I had no idea. And the property had just recently renovated, right?

arlflyer Mar 8, 2021 6:36 am

This property does look brand new and aesthetically pleasing, so I'd be inclined to give it a try on a short stay out of curiosity. That being said, I agree with an earlier poster that the rooms themselves look small, typical of a refurb of a period building. As someone who travels for work, my eyes also gravitate to the photos of the in-room desks, which don't look to be the best for getting things done.

I'm a bit of a Logan fanboy as I really love that property - as the old Four Seasons it is not new and flashy but it has good "bones" - the rooms are big and well-appointed, the soundproofing is solid, and the amenities are good (gym etc.). The location is only a few blocks from everything but is dead quiet at night, and the F&B (lobby bar and Urban Farmer) are quite good. Some people are into the rooftop thing; I am not. As a Diamond I've been about 50/50 on suite upgrades.

OP, how do the two properties compare price-wise for your chosen dates, and how many days are you planning to spend?

NYCRachel Mar 8, 2021 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 33085332)
This property does look brand new and aesthetically pleasing, so I'd be inclined to give it a try on a short stay out of curiosity. That being said, I agree with an earlier poster that the rooms themselves look small, typical of a refurb of a period building. As someone who travels for work, my eyes also gravitate to the photos of the in-room desks, which don't look to be the best for getting things done.

I'm a bit of a Logan fanboy as I really love that property - as the old Four Seasons it is not new and flashy but it has good "bones" - the rooms are big and well-appointed, the soundproofing is solid, and the amenities are good (gym etc.). The location is only a few blocks from everything but is dead quiet at night, and the F&B (lobby bar and Urban Farmer) are quite good. Some people are into the rooftop thing; I am not. As a Diamond I've been about 50/50 on suite upgrades.

OP, how do the two properties compare price-wise for your chosen dates, and how many days are you planning to spend?

Going for three nights and including taxes The Logan is about $148/night and Canopy is about $172/night.

F&B looks better at Canopy + they have a Federal Donuts (yum!) in the lobby. Apparently The Logan with COVID times has some sort of grab and go for breakfast on weekdays and weekends it is in Urban Farmer. Regardless, would be getting to-go back to the room, as I doubt there's outdoor dining.

Rooftop bar menu at The Logan looks like it is stuck in the late 90's, but may be a good place to blow my AMEX FHR credit. Probably will end up at The Logan unless I see Canopy price drop.

arlflyer Mar 9, 2021 6:20 am

Originally Posted by NYCRachel (Post 33087320)
Going for three nights and including taxes The Logan is about $148/night and Canopy is about $172/night.

F&B looks better at Canopy + they have a Federal Donuts (yum!) in the lobby. Apparently The Logan with COVID times has some sort of grab and go for breakfast on weekdays and weekends it is in Urban Farmer. Regardless, would be getting to-go back to the room, as I doubt there's outdoor dining.

Rooftop bar menu at The Logan looks like it is stuck in the late 90's, but may be a good place to blow my AMEX FHR credit. Probably will end up at The Logan unless I see Canopy price drop.

I think that this is fair. The Canopy looks completely on point by current design standards - it checks every box of what a 2021 new opening should look like and should have - lots of dark blue and brass? Check. Peloton bikes? Check. Name-brand local mini-chain dining incorporated? Check. So it is definitely the new place to be. But I pick my hotels basically based on how well I can 1) sleep, 2) work, and then everything else comes after, because if I can't do those two things the rest is irrelevant. And on those criteria the Logan is really tough to beat. I'd be inclined to try the new Canopy for a short leisure stay - maybe I will do so this spring!

rcmiller Mar 9, 2021 11:10 am

I had the same Logan vs. Canopy decision for an upcoming July stay. Prices were essentially the same so I went with the Canopy. I wanted to burn some points, but redemption rates were not great. Got a nice Long Weekender cash rate instead.

Flyer78 Mar 9, 2021 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33084812)
Thanks for pointing this out- I had no idea. And the property had just recently renovated, right?

It was, rooms were refreshed, and the elevator system was upgraded to dispatch-based (where you select the floor and it directs you to one of the three cars) which solved one of the biggest issues there. New owners are reverting the property to apartments. (https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210121.html)

The good news is that Victory Brewing will replace the old TGI-Fridays, another option for those looking to stay at the Logan. (No idea on opening date for Victory)

DELee Mar 9, 2021 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by rcmiller (Post 33088572)
I had the same Logan vs. Canopy decision for an upcoming July stay. Prices were essentially the same so I went with the Canopy. I wanted to burn some points, but redemption rates were not great. Got a nice Long Weekender cash rate instead.

Don't forget to post a review!

David

MissJ Jun 11, 2021 11:03 am

Agreed!

Hoping to see some reviews soon. I've stayed at the Logan many times so it's my go-to but the Canopy is really tempting. It looks stunning and the walking distance to the historic sites is perfect. I'll be taking my mother to Philly in August and she's never been. Concerns for us are a good breakfast (even if there is a charge, she eats healthy but is a super early riser and likes to get up and go eat), and the comfort of the property. I'm a little concerned about the size of the rooms here and she's not known for traveling light. I'm a light traveler and very organizer having stayed in many European closets but she is the opposite. Comfy bed is a must.

Ktraveller Jun 28, 2021 9:44 pm

Just stayed. Rooms are TINY. Completely not worth it in a city like Philly where big hotel rooms are easy to come by at the same price if not lower. It's a shame because otherwise this could be a great hotel.

MissJ Jun 29, 2021 7:11 am

What were the impressions otherwise? How are the finishes, the service, etc. I have this booked for August and thanks to the new connecting rooms feature, my mother and I have our own rooms so I'm not concerned about us sharing space. Only one person in each room. I really am most concerned about location as mom, though pretty active, can't walk for miles and miles every day like she used to. I usually stay at the Logan but there is just so much more right by the Canopy.

Ktraveller Jun 29, 2021 9:27 am

Otherwise everything is pretty solid. Rooms are great quality and breakfast is pretty good. The restaurant is really nice so it makes for quite a pleasant meal. I would be concerned a little with storage if you pack heavy or are just used to having closets. Linked here is what you're getting with storage. The immediate area around the hotel isn't my favorite, but otherwise it is walking distance to anywhere you would need to go except the museum of art.

777 global mile hound Sep 2, 2023 10:13 am

Hi All
Any data points/ recent stay experience
Are Diamonds being upgraded to suites? The rates are close to double the rates for the Kimpton for my dates
I’m a huge Canopy fan but the closet size rooms concern me & @ double the price I have to justify some of the rate difference.
I’ve noticed Canopy is highly aggressive with charging high rates even when slow