Upgrades Argentina B.A.

Old Feb 8, 21, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Upgrades Argentina B.A.

Sorry, have not used Hilton too often so unfamiliar with how things work. I am Diamond and going to Buenos Aires for 5 nights (then on to Chile) in late April 2021. Can I book one of the cheaper room (all are pretty good) and then get an upgrade at check in as I am Diamond? Or is this unlikely? Or do they only Upgrade to a slightly better (higher floor, 20 sq ft larger, etc.) room? I know I can use the lounge - which I really liked 4 years ago. And I can get 5th night free.

Any suggestions or comments?

thanks so much
Old Feb 8, 21, 5:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Which Buenos Aires hotel is this? Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 21, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SAPMAN View Post

Your question is somewhat moot. Unless you are an Argentine citizen or resident, you aren't going to be allowed entry in April 2021. Argentina is not going to have a significant % of their population vaccinated in time to allow foreign tourists heading into their winter season.

https://ar.usembassy.gov/covid-19/
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 9, 21, 10:10 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
What kind of upgrade you may get is somewhat a lottery. Of course it depends on occupancy but it also has factors regarding hotel policy (they are not obliged to upgrade to a suite for example, so you may indeed get a one category upgrade to a slightly larger room). It would seem from FT'ers experience that your points balance might also influence the result. Some Credit Card holders who receive Diamond status this way but have no nights at Hilton properties report worse upgrade results than members who have high night-in-property balances.

5th night free is only applicable to Points/Reward stays and you are correct that Lounge Access will be given whatever the upgrade may be.
Old Feb 10, 21, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by SAPMAN View Post
Sorry, have not used Hilton too often so unfamiliar with how things work. I am Diamond and going to Buenos Aires for 5 nights (then on to Chile) in late April 2021. Can I book one of the cheaper room (all are pretty good) and then get an upgrade at check in as I am Diamond? Or is this unlikely? Or do they only Upgrade to a slightly better (higher floor, 20 sq ft larger, etc.) room? I know I can use the lounge - which I really liked 4 years ago. And I can get 5th night free.

thanks so much
The rooms really aren't so nice - they range from more-or-less OK to tatty. My "upgrades" have always been to executive rooms: I have no idea if these are any better than regular entry-level rooms, but it's hard to believe they are. I've tried hard to convince them that they might make the effort, at least for executive rooms, and supply glasses and porcelain rather than paper cups for coffee and water.

The executive lounge is fine in Hilton terms, especially if you are used to US hotels. The location is handy for me, otherwise I'd go elsewhere.
Old Feb 10, 21, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I have stayed at the Hilton Puerto Madero a number of times in the past ten years, most recently in early March 2020 (pre Covid, just before the border closed). I assume this is the Hilton property to which OP refers. The hotel website this morning indicates its restaurants are open with some service limitations but the Executive Lounge and Spa are closed. But to respond to OP's question, I book the least expensive available room and have always been upgraded, usually to an Executive Level room. It helps that I am a repeat guest and the staff remembers me. All of this being said, as stated upthread it is unlikely foreign tourists will be allowed into Argentina in the near future.

I have also stayed at Hilton's other BsAs property, the Anselmo (Curio) a number of times since it opened in 2015. It has never had an Executive Lounge or Executive Level, and has only a few suites so room upgrades are very limited.
happychic likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: