Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn does not enforce mask-wearing

Hampton Inn does not enforce mask-wearing

Old Feb 6, 21, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Hampton Inn does not enforce mask-wearing

Using an analysis of Risk v Reward, we drove 2 road trips in the last 7 months. (We are blessed with 3 grandchildren under age 26 months and a 4th one due in April.) We drove 4400 miles last July and 2840 miles in Jan-Feb 2021. We like to stay in Hampton Inns. Our recent trip was for a birth, so I was especially OCD about Covid protection. One morning the first person I saw was walking the hall on a coffee run, w/ his mask merely around his neck. The lobby area was crowded w/ many teenage athletes and a few chaperones. Perfect for Covid: loud conversation, poor ventilation, NO masks, and a crowded indoor space. I spoke to the desk clerk (who had her ENTIRE nose exposed) and she said that they can suggest mask-wearing and offer free masks, but they can't enforce wearing of masks. She did pull her mask up & over her nose when I told her of an impending birth in our family. In another HI, probably only half of the guests were properly masked.
Hilton's "Clean Stay" - "In accordance with CDC and WHO guidelines, we are requiring face coverings in all indoor public areas of all of our hotels throughout the U.S, the Caribbean and Latin America, for guests and Team Members." Don't expect this to be your experience.

Other guests bemoan low Covid standards at USA Today: " 'No way this room was sanitized': Despite assurances, hotels get mixed reviews on COVID-19 cleanliness, masks"

Another article in USA Today: "What it's like to stay at a Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt hotel during the COVID-19 pandemic"
Old Feb 7, 21, 1:12 am

You are advised not to travel to protect yourselves and others. No travel = little risk.
Old Feb 7, 21, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this was essential travel as defined by CDC and the masks are required by state or local order, I would report this immediately to the appropriate local authority.

If this was non-essential travel, the solution is not to travel as you increase the risk to yourself and to others, including the people you are visiting,
am1108, Smiley90, sdsearch and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 21, 7:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Hopefully you’ve reported this directly to Hilton. It doesn't matter if your travel was essential or non essential for Hilton properties to carry out standards. Those who respond the solution is not to travel are not getting the point.
Old Feb 7, 21, 7:37 am

Sadly travel is going to expose you to people who do not care, staff who have little power and a lot of stress. No matter if essential or not.
Auto Enthusiast and am1108 like this.
Old Feb 7, 21, 8:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit View Post
Sadly travel is going to expose you to people who do not care, staff who have little power and a lot of stress. No matter if essential or not.
I've seen the lack of mask wearing in every hotel I've stayed in for the past year. Brands don't even matter. I just make sure I protect myself.
Old Feb 7, 21, 8:37 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
I've seen the lack of mask wearing in every hotel I've stayed in for the past year. Brands don't even matter. I just make sure I protect myself.
But, that is the problem. You can't protect yourself sufficiently. It helps that you are wearing a mask and attempting social distancing. But, if others are not, your risk increases and there is nothing you can do about it if you are present. This is the whole issue underlying the anti-masker debate which is OT to this thread. It's not just about advising people to take precautions to protect themselves, it is about everybody taking precautions to protect everybody.
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 7, 21, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
But, that is the problem. You can't protect yourself sufficiently. It helps that you are wearing a mask and attempting social distancing. But, if others are not, your risk increases and there is nothing you can do about it if you are present. This is the whole issue underlying the anti-masker debate which is OT to this thread. It's not just about advising people to take precautions to protect themselves, it is about everybody taking precautions to protect everybody.
I guess I look at things differently. I never expect another human being on this planet to help save my life or prevent me from getting sick. I just do everything under my power to personally protect myself. I wear professional ppe, respirators, goggles etc. Have been since last February.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yep. If you travel, you're going to encounter people who don't wear masks. Location matters - some states don't even have mask mandates - as does style of property. Places that cater to large groups of students (i.e., limited service properties) are going to be more problematic. You can reduce risk, but you cannot avoid it entirely.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Simple solution to Hampton Inn's issues. Don't stay with them if you don't like the way they run their hotels. Choose a hotel which offers what you want.

And, on a slightly less helpful note, I would simply point out that someone who is traveling when they shouldn't is just as liable to put people at risk as someone who has chosen different rules to ignore.
BlueZebra and MissJ like this.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post

And, on a slightly less helpful note, I would simply point out that someone who is traveling when they shouldn't is just as liable to put people at risk as someone who has chosen different rules to ignore.
This. If you're OCD about COVID, you're not driving 7,000+ miles to visit people.

And I say that as somebody currently recovering from COVID because his partner also decided that certain rules can be ignored if they are inconvenient.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:39 am

I guess I look at things differently. I never expect another human being on this planet to help save my life or prevent me from getting sick. I just do everything under my power to personally protect myself. I wear professional ppe, respirators, goggles etc. Have been since last February.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are extremely selfish and we have to protect ourselves. I had to stay in a hotel twice in the past couple of months not for travel but because of a home sale. I did my check in online, did not go to the lobby for any reason whatsoever, and only use the stairs no elevator. there is no way the front desk staff can regulate what people are doing in hallways far from them and honestly a lot of people just don't care about others. I would definitely report staff not wearing their masks correctly, that is just ridiculous if they are working but it's a lot of effort and a lot of conflict to try to regulate what people staying there are doing.

And I haven't seen a single other person on this planet that I'm related to other than my mother in the last year so there's that. You can always just stay home. I know it sucks.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:48 am

Don't go to public spaces if there is a bunch of schoolkids there - there are things you (or a pair of front desk folks) can not control. Use n95.
It is ok to travel but be realistic of what to expect and how to minimize your risks.
Old Feb 7, 21, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K
It's every where, not just Hampton Inn. Had the same thing happen at a Homewood Suite in London, Ontario, but it was just one person. Every one else in the hotel was wearing mask in public spaces.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 21, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Location matters
In August we rented an RV and drove NY to AZ and back. In certain parts of the country i got dirty looks for wearing a mask in a grocery store.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: