Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Gale South Beach, Curio Collection by Hilton, Miami Beach FL {US-FL}

Old Feb 1, 21, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold

I can't find a thread or much info about this hotel here. Any recent stays?

I always stay at the Bentley but their rates are absurd when I am going in March and got a decent redemption rate on points at the Gale.

Location looks a little better than the Bentley (though I love being right on the beach at Bentley).

Wondering what the breakfast is like and the restaurant since I can use my resort credit there.
Old Feb 16, 21, 12:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I was looking at this as well -- going to do a little Keys-to-Miami-to-Lauderdale-to-Orlando road trip this week, but haven't decided on where to stay for the Miami/Miami Beach segment.

Was leaning towards Gates or Gale, but googlemaps shows Gale is a short building stuck behind and between a bunch of highrises, so views might be non-existent, if that's of any importance to you. It's right next to the Hampton, which is also short...
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 24, 21, 8:31 am

I just missed booking a great deal at The Gale for March that I would have taken. I have not been in the rooms, but have been in the hotel. I think it's really nice "old world style" compared to all the new flash of Miami. I have heard the rooms are small, but you can check the sqft for that. The footprint is a bit odd because it is stretched out on that corner and is a bit narrow. It's not directly on the beach, but all you have to do is walk across Collins and down a passageway and you are on the beach in less than 5 minutes. I can't remember if I had any of the food because I was there for an Art Basel event. Enjoy.

Last edited by cb212; Feb 24, 21 at 8:34 am Reason: need to mention hotel name
Old Feb 24, 21, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cb212 View Post
I just missed booking a great deal at The Gale for March that I would have taken. I have not been in the rooms, but have been in the hotel. I think it's really nice "old world style" compared to all the new flash of Miami. I have heard the rooms are small, but you can check the sqft for that. The footprint is a bit odd because it is stretched out on that corner and is a bit narrow. It's not directly on the beach, but all you have to do is walk across Collins and down a passageway and you are on the beach in less than 5 minutes. I can't remember if I had any of the food because I was there for an Art Basel event. Enjoy.
One thing I like about the Bentley is being right on the beach but like the Gale is closer to Lincoln Mall and the restaurants and shopping. Sounds like they partner with another hotels beach club for beach access and chairs and umbrellas. I'm hoping they offer charging privledges for cocktails and food so I can use up part of my resort credit with Am Ex
Old Feb 24, 21, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
One thing I like about the Bentley is being right on the beach but like the Gale is closer to Lincoln Mall and the restaurants and shopping. Sounds like they partner with another hotels beach club for beach access and chairs and umbrellas. I'm hoping they offer charging privledges for cocktails and food so I can use up part of my resort credit with Am Ex
The website says they do partner with either a beach hotel or beach club and you get 2 chairs. I like Lincoln Road, but it can be touristy and you might find better food elsewhere. It's great for people watching so definitely go sit outside and eat but make sure you look at either food blogs or some other info.
Old Feb 24, 21, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The website says they do partner with either a beach hotel or beach club and you get 2 chairs. I like Lincoln Road, but it can be touristy and you might find better food elsewhere. It's great for people watching so definitely go sit outside and eat but make sure you look at either food blogs or some other info.
I really don't like eating right at Lincoln mall but lots of stuff on Collins and Washington I like

My favorite place to eat at in the area is a real hole in the wall cuban restaurant i heard about on travel or food channel on sixth avenue called Las Olas on Sixth near washington. Great authentic cuban food, I like to get it go and eat outside. Also like the Espanola street off Washington, some tourist stuff but a couple really good authentic Mexican restaurants.
Old Feb 26, 21, 4:41 pm

One thing I like about the Bentley is being right on the beach but like the Gale is closer to Lincoln Mall and the restaurants and shopping.
I like the Bentley because it is the place on South Beach that is the furthest away from the rest of South Beach.

Also, while I haven't stayed there in years (I'm a Brickell guy now; just hop an Uber when I want the beach), if I did I'm pretty sure every day would be Pura Vida for breakfast/lunch and Prime or Red for dinner...averages out to being healthy, right?
Old Feb 26, 21, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
I like the Bentley because it is the place on South Beach that is the furthest away from the rest of South Beach.

Also, while I haven't stayed there in years (I'm a Brickell guy now; just hop an Uber when I want the beach), if I did I'm pretty sure every day would be Pura Vida for breakfast/lunch and Prime or Red for dinner...averages out to being healthy, right?
Never eaten at Prime but would love to. One reaosn I was hoping for a decent reward rate was so I could use my resort credit at Prime. It's been a long time since I've stayed there as well, before Hilton started giving the resort credit.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 21, 6:10 pm

It's been a long time since I've stayed there as well, before Hilton started giving the resort credit.
Ditto! That certainly sweetens the deal.
Old Mar 5, 21, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post

I usually go to Joe and the Juice for a green smoothie for breakfast, but I'll have to try Pura Vida.
Old Mar 5, 21, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I usually go to Joe and the Juice for a green smoothie for breakfast, but I'll have to try Pura Vida.
I looked at their menu and may check them out as well for lunch. Or breakfast if the Gale still isn't serving breakfast yet. The fruit salad sounds great. I'm surprised I didn't see it before since I always walk or do a citibike down washington between the bentley and lincoln mall every day when I'm in Miami.

This is far from health but I love the Big Pink on Collins, great for a late night meal.
Old Mar 6, 21, 8:05 am

I looked at their menu and may check them out as well for lunch. Or breakfast if the Gale still isn't serving breakfast yet. The fruit salad sounds great. I'm surprised I didn't see it before since I always walk or do a citibike down washington between the bentley and lincoln mall every day when I'm in Miami.
I'm going to sound like a shill but it's really hard to beat Pura Vida. J&J is fine but PV is a great local business. Their smoothies and acai bowls are very good, and if you're going for lunch try the pesto tuna - it's a hot wrap and the pesto mixed w/risotto and melted cheese is just awesome. I've never even tried any of their other lunch items because I have been hooked on that from the first time I tried it.

Usually a crowd out front so hard to miss! (But the line moves fast, and online ordering of course works well too)
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Any info on what it’s like now with all the college kids, we are booked at Cabana for this weekend then the Bentley for 2 nights. I’m assuming the Cabana is too far north and hopefully the Bentley is south of the problem areas; had planned on taking the airport tram then Uber it up on Friday then Uber it down on Sunday. Is Collins Ave open through the spring breakers area?
Old Mar 24, 21, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
Any info on what it’s like now with all the college kids, we are booked at Cabana for this weekend then the Bentley for 2 nights. I’m assuming the Cabana is too far north and hopefully the Bentley is south of the problem areas; had planned on taking the airport tram then Uber it up on Friday then Uber it down on Sunday. Is Collins Ave open through the spring breakers area?
I cancelled my reservation. Even though there was a seven-day cancel period, the Gale allowed me to cancel yesterday for my reservation tomorrow with no penalty. I think the city is pressuring hotels to allow cancels with no penalty and with Covid Delta wans't charging a fee. I thought about renting a car and driving to FLL but hotels are either sold out or crazy expensive as are rental cars.

The curfew goes in effect at 8 p.m. Thursday to Sunday's through at least mid-April and starts are fifth and I think ends at 18th or 19th and is from ocean to Pennsylvania. There is a bar I like to go to on Washington and they are closing at 8 due to the curfew so I don't think Miami would be that much fun.

It's too bad because I've gone the last weekend of March a few times and have stayed at the Bentley and no college kids were there and I thought Spring break at colleges were over with by then and I don't know how a college kid could afford a miami beach hotel. The Gale would have been 800 a night if I wasnt using points and most college kids don't have hotel points

Search this Thread
Search Engine: