Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

HIlton Not Honoring. Cancellation of Points Purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2021, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

I was trying to give points to my son for his birthday. I logged into my Honors account and the transaction ended up as a.purchase. I called Hilton immediately and they have refused to refund my purchase and to apply the points from my account. It seems strange that Hilton would not honor a cancellation minutes after it was made.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Sorry to hear about your issue, and welcome to Flyertalk.

Unfortunately points purchases are indeed non-refundable, but you can transfer the points from your account to theirs using this link:
https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...ansfer-points/

The transfer should take 24-48 hours, and you will both receive a notification once the transaction has gone through.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mgreen3177
I was trying to give points to my son for his birthday. I logged into my Honors account and the transaction ended up as a.purchase. I called Hilton immediately and they have refused to refund my purchase and to apply the points from my account. It seems strange that Hilton would not honor a cancellation minutes after it was made.
Please clarify “ended up as a purchase.” Your error or theirs?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:32 pm

You can transfer hilton points for free (from your account to someone else's) https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...ansfer-points/
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this was an error at HH, then HH should fix it.

If you purchased the points, then they are non-refundable. If the latter and you want to give them to your son, you may transfer them to his son free of charge.

Understanding what exactly happened here would be helpful.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Not allowing cancellatio

My desire was to give my son Hilton points for his birthday. I logged into my account and followed the gift points option. I entered my son's HH number and proceeded to Give him 80,000 points. The next prompt showed that 80000 equals $800. I assumed that Hilton needed to show a dollar equivalent. Hilton then requested a credit card number - I made another assumption that this is required as when Hilton wants a credit card for a points stay. I immediately saw that $800 was charged to my credit card and I then called Hilton Customer Service. The agent explained.my mistake and said that she would forward the request to Hilton Finance. I then received an email from Hilton acknowledgeing my contact with Customer Service. I did don't hear back from Hilton in the 5-7 business days as described so I called them again to find out that the request was.denied.
I admit that I proceeded carelessly but I felt safe since I was dealing with Hilton as a Diamond member. I expected that Hilton would honor an immediate cancellation. My next step is to proceed with The State of California for Hilton not honoring the 3 day cancellation law. I am told that this applies to any transaction conducted in the state of California regardless of the company's location. I hate to have to pursue a legal remedy for a situation that should have been rectified with good Customer Service to correct my mistake.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Was this purchase prior to 1/21/21, when I received an email offering a 100% bonus on purchases, which is pretty much at least an annual event if not more often?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
OP wanted to transfer 80k points, but instead used the Gift option to buy points.
A short Google search seems to indicate that a law to cancel online purchases within 3 days does not exist.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:57 pm

OK, so clearly OP's error. Chalk this one up to experience, be more careful next time, and move on, IMO.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mgreen3177
My desire was to give my son Hilton points for his birthday. I logged into my account and followed the gift points option. I entered my son's HH number and proceeded to Give him 80,000 points. The next prompt showed that 80000 equals $800. I assumed that Hilton needed to show a dollar equivalent. Hilton then requested a credit card number - I made another assumption that this is required as when Hilton wants a credit card for a points stay. I immediately saw that $800 was charged to my credit card and I then called Hilton Customer Service. The agent explained.my mistake and said that she would forward the request to Hilton Finance. I then received an email from Hilton acknowledgeing my contact with Customer Service. I did don't hear back from Hilton in the 5-7 business days as described so I called them again to find out that the request was.denied.
I admit that I proceeded carelessly but I felt safe since I was dealing with Hilton as a Diamond member. I expected that Hilton would honor an immediate cancellation. My next step is to proceed with The State of California for Hilton not honoring the 3 day cancellation law. I am told that this applies to any transaction conducted in the state of California regardless of the company's location. I hate to have to pursue a legal remedy for a situation that should have been rectified with good Customer Service to correct my mistake.
I believe that you are referring to the FTC's 3-day "Cooling Off Rule," which has a similar California state law. It applies only to door-to-door sales (and a few other similar categories) and not to online transactions.

You are better off sending a note to Hilton explaining exactly what happened to see if HH might give some reconsideration. Make it clear that this was 100% your mistake and forget about asserting your status and non-existent laws. There is a very small chance that you get anywhere, but it costs you nothing to try. You should expect another denial and at that point, just chalk it up to a lesson learned.
DC9 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've transferred points many times. I think you got confused since it was going to be a "gift" and hit "gift" instead of "transfer".
DC9 likes this.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Jan 31, 2021 at 2:22 am
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP sorry to hear - unfortunately being customer friendly is not the strongest side of hilton these days. You can try to email customer service, explain how you tried to rectify the error immediately - perhaps you can get a better outcome.

A couple years back i forgot and let my southwest points expire. Completely my fault but i wrote an email to customer service, explained that i had several flights since and they made an exception and restored balance. I remember their goodwill gesture and see WN as a great customer friendly company i gladly patronize...
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've transferred points many times. I think you got confused since it was going to be a "gift" and hit "gift" instead of "transfer".
https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...ive/index.html
Almost made the same mistake yesterday, using this link. Wanted to present a family member with some points along with my gift of a "Gold" membership.

Because the "Transfer" option didn't work, I tried the "Gift" option. Honestly, as a non US-American speaker I didn't see or notice any distinction between the two options. I thought, maybe they'll send a different e-mail to the other account, put a ribbon around the e-mail or so.

Luckily (for me), the 'gift'-option gave the exact same error (as they still do today), otherwise I may have made the same mistake as the OP.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sisosig; Jan 31, 2021 at 5:37 am
Old Jan 31, 2021, 9:08 am
Suspended

But, the giveaway is when one is asked to input a credit card to pay for something that is free and is then asked to confirm the transaction. In the OP it is clear that OP thought it odd, but rather than stopping and reading carefully, he proceeded.

OP made a mistake and people make mistakes. But, this one has nothing to do with customer service or clarity.
Mirendo, :D! and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.