Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking 2 Rooms with 2 Hilton honors accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Most family trips I take involve me booking 2 rooms. I have generally tended to book both under my Hilton honors (Diamond) account and collect the points for both on my account.

However there appears to be some advantages in booking the 2 rooms under different accounts (points and night accrual), especially if I gift the other half Gold status. I know that one might miss out on potentially getting Diamond benefits for both rooms. Is there anything I might be missing?

Also does each room’s bill need to be paid by the relevant Hilton honors account owner? Can they be booked from one account and then the the other Hilton honors number added later or do the rooms need to be booked individually from the relevant account?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It is possible to change the HH number on a booking, even using points from one account and status benefits from another (I have got a hotel to do this), but if you want a stay to credit to a certain account it would be best to book it using that account and not rely on the staff to mess about on the system.

A room earns fewer points if booked under a Gold account, but the Gold account would get one stay towards maintaining their status, which would be useful if your spouse will travel without you in the future.

According to the T&Cs if a Diamond books multiple rooms, only one room gets benefits, but often all the rooms will get some or all benefits. If booking separately the hotel may not allocate the rooms next to each other, if that is important, and if checking in late it may not be possible to move other guests, however if only one room gets upgraded they may not be near each other anyway. I suppose you could message the hotel if you needed connecting rooms.

According to the T&Cs the Honors member needs to pay for the stay. If you want the rooms to credit separately, the folios would need to be separate but, at least in the UK there wouldn't be any issue if the same person inserts the same card into the card reader for both rooms and/or you both had the same card number stored in your profile.
kilo likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!

A room earns fewer points if booked under a Gold account, but the Gold account would get one stay towards maintaining their status, which would be useful if your spouse will travel without you in the future
Thanks for your sum up.

Correct me if I am wrong but you only get one round of promotional bonus points irrespective of number of rooms booked? If so bonus promotional points earned by the Gold account ( if available) will probably make up for the difference between Diamond and Gold earning if all rooms were booked under the Diamond account?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:29 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by kilo
Correct me if I am wrong but you only get one round of promotional bonus points irrespective of number of rooms booked? If so bonus promotional points earned by the Gold account ( if available) will probably make up for the difference between Diamond and Gold earning if all rooms were booked under the Diamond account?
Good point, I think you are right so you just have to work out which option earns more.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I also book two rooms for most leisure travel, and have never been declined breakfast for the second room, which i value. If you are correct- and the point play is a push- the only reason to do this would be to maintain Gold for your partner, at the expense of accumulating LTD activity for yourself and possible loss of Diamond benefits on the second room. You have to weigh that against what Gold will mean for your partner, eg how often would they be traveling without you and your Diamond status? I am fortunate to have a mutual account with my wife, and am already LTD, so it isn't a relevant exercise for me but if it were i would say the juice isn't worth the squeeze. YMMV.
kilo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.