Canopy by Hilton Cancun La Isla

Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Canopy by Hilton Cancun La Isla (MEX)

I'm staying here now for one week, and will post my experience over the next few days.

Upon entry, due to covid-19, shoes are sanitized and hand gel required. However, even though there are posted signs inside the elevators, in the lobby etc people walk around without masks on. The employees wear masks, but generally they are not worn properly and some are falling off because they're old and completely stretched out of shape.

A bellhop will guide you to your room and explain the inner workings of the room and how to order off the QR menu, etc. Very helpful bellhops.

I am a diamond member, and was upgraded from a regular king size room to two levels above, which is a sunset view king room. Unfortunately, the sunsets so far to the south right now it's impossible to see the sunset until spring rolls around.

Each room has a beverage cooler. It cools down to 45-48 degrees Fahrenheit, according to my infrared thermometer.

However, the best thing about choosing or getting upgraded to the sunset rooms ( which are in higher floors in odd number rooms in the middle of the floor plan), like rooms _17, _19, _21, _23, where you can see parts of the shopping mall, the ferris wheel and also the pole where the platon flyers have their evening shows daily. All right outside your window. It's certainly a site to see.

Each room is equipped with swing chairs. They're really neat. So neat that the two children in the room next to me were climbing into them and constantly banged them on the wall all day, evening until up to midnight. Something to think about if you book here. I could only take so much, so I requested a room change from the 4th to 5th floor. Night and day difference.

Currently, breakfast is buffet style served by staff. However, Hilton Honors members can order a few meals off the menu also. But, I personally like the buffet better. Bacon is excellent. You can eat inside or outside. I eventually ordered off the Hilton honors menu and got a veggie omelette. It was actually very good. Lots of mushrooms and cheese, and I also took side dishes from the buffet, that the head restaurant guy (Eduardo), said was fine for diamond members. Perfect breakfast.

The best thing about this hotel is the location since it's part of the La Isla Shopping Mall. You will always have a close place to eat and shop.

The front desk clerks are not very knowledgeable about anything unfortunately. No matter what I asked them they had to refer the question to a supervisor or the bellhops. They get a strong F if I was to grade them.

The Restaurant and bars are open for lunch and dinner, roof poolside and lobby. Restaurant staff is very knowledgeable and very professional. No issues whatsoever.

Housekeeping cleans rooms one hour and new guests occupy the room within two hours. I witnessed that with the room across the hall from me. Not sure why that occurred when there were several other rooms that had been vacant for a few days. None of the windows open in these rooms and studies have shown the virus can longer in the air for up to 9 hours at least.

The hotel has not been fully booked since I've been here. However, today (Sun),I noticed more people at the buffet.

On certain occasions they have welcoming parties in the lobby, which can be packed with guests drinking complimentary margaritas, and of course with no masks, but it's something to avoid if you're arriving in the evening during this pandemic.

The free access to the beach club is no longer available and cost $25 USD now until further notice.

I'll be back to post additional information and photos in the coming days.

Today is my last night, and I'll just add a few more highlights.

Directly next door to the facility, about 200 feet is a Pharmacy. It sells medications, toiletries, snacks, souvenirs and a variety of soft drinks, beer and even liquor. Very convenient.

The main buses that run up and down the hotel zone and into Cancun Centro is Buses R1 and R2. R1 goes mainly to and from Centro to and from all the hotels. R2 will take you to Walmart, Centro and all the hotels. They supposedly run 24/7 and currently costs 12 Pesos. Website below:
https://cancun.rutadirecta.com/

So, if you're adventurous and want to save some money since the taxis cost at least $30 USD one-way to or from the airport, you can easily pay 100 pesos ($5.00 USD) to ADO bus service at the airport and take the bus to Centro Cancun, and from there pay 12 pesos (50 cents) and take R1 or R2 Bus to the Canopy, which stops right outside the hotel. You can do the same thing going back to the airport, or just get an Uber or Cabify from the center of town to the airport.

This hotel is in the best location of all of Cancun, even without e beach. You still can get sunrise and sunset views and are snack dab in the middle of a shopping center with immediate access to everything. Can't beat it.

My major annoyance is how totally inconsiderate the housekeeping staff is. Starting about 8:45am they open and close doors to the rooms they are cleaning. They open them fully and then let them slam. I initially thought these were other guests but, no the housekeeping staff does this all day long. Then one day I put my trash can out for them to remove the rubbish and I returned and the entire trash can was gone.

I always leave tips, but the only tips at this hotel went to the restaurant staff and the older bellhop gentleman. Everyone else was in need of some common sense training.

Would I stay here again? No.

Tip: The 13th Century Mayan temple is situated basically across the street from the Canopy. The easiest way to get there is by entering through the main security entrance of the Westin hotel there, and they will sign you in and have a security officer walk you through the maze to get there. You'll sort of have a tour of the Westin grounds in the way. There is no entrance fee at all. The security guard can take photos of you if like. There's no suggestive tip or cover, but you can tip the guard something if he helped you. In my case, I was there alone so he took several photos of me that I wouldn't have been able to take myself, so I tipped him 60 pesos.

Local bus receipts

Yamil Lu'um, 13th Century Mayan Temple, across the street from the Canopy, and on the grounds of the Westin hotel.

Fredd likes this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Dec 16, 2020 at 2:31 pm
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is breakfast free for all guests here?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Does anyone have a more recent stay experience at this hotel? Please share. Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Originally Posted by jlcchien
Does anyone have a more recent stay experience at this hotel? Please share. Thanks
Not sure what you are looking for. Two stays (one night each) in the past year. I don't do comprehensive reviews like I used to do, but when I reviewed TripAdvisor and Google reviews, they are reasonable. As a diamond, the full breakfast buffet (including omelet station) was complimentary. Some type of in-room capsule coffee machine (Nespresso?). Two bottles of water in the room. I'm not sure if room upgrades are a thing, but facing the lagoon and the mall is nice (see pics above). I believe they rent out bicycles to guests for free. The rooftop bar and pool area are nice. No beach, no oceanfront. The property is attached to the second phase of La Isla mall. Some stores/restaurants have closed there over the past few years. Price point when I've looked is usually $125-$175/night USD as a non-AI, before taxes and fees.
jlcchien likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.