Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Elite Qualification

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Talking 2021 Elite Qualification

Do I understand right that 30 nights in 2021 will qualify for Diamond status? Is there any reduction in the number of stays required to qualify for Diamond? I do hope so, since I am so tired of one night stands - age is catching up with me
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Stays are also reduced by 50 percent.

Reducing Status Qualification Requirements by 50 percent across all tiers, including stays, nights and Base Points in 2021, to allow members to achieve status in half the time. For example, this means to earn Gold status, a member must complete 20 nights, 10 stays or 37,500 Points instead of 40 nights, 20 stays or 75,000 points. And, as previously announced, all 2020 nights will automatically roll over to the 2021 calendar year to help Hilton Honors members upgrade their tier status even faster.

See here -
https://newsroom.hilton.com/hilton-h...ue-for-members
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
The logic of not wanting 1-night stays escapes me though ... You could do 3 stays of 10 nights each (which suits me fine approaching age 60 ) This makes qualifying on nights "easier" than on stays.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sbams
The logic of not wanting 1-night stays escapes me though ... You could do 3 stays of 10 nights each (which suits me fine approaching age 60 ) This makes qualifying on nights "easier" than on stays.
Maybe another point to consider is that nights roll over to 2021, but stays don't.

In the latter months of this year, night credits are doubled: so it looks like just 15 nights in late 2020 could see you sailing through to end 2022 as a Diamond.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 4, 2020 at 5:31 am
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Maybe another point to consider is that nights roll over to 2020, but stays don't.

In the latter months of this year, night credits are doubled: so it looks like just 15 nights in late 2020 could see you sailing through to end 2020 as a Diamond.
I think you are living a year behind the rest of us If so, I have news for you, 2020 was awful so brace yourself for things to come!
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sbams
I think you are living a year behind the rest of us If so, I have news for you, 2020 was awful so brace yourself for things to come!
Thanks for the heads up! Not sure what happened there: but I'll blame tapping things out on my phone on the train
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:16 am

Does anyone know how quickly this status will be reflected? I'm using the Double Rewards promotion to hit 30 nights Diamond by the 20th but wondering if it'll show in time for a Conrad stay on the 28th.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jamalhakim
Does anyone know how quickly this status will be reflected? I'm using the Double Rewards promotion to hit 30 nights Diamond by the 20th but wondering if it'll show in time for a Conrad stay on the 28th.
You’re going to want to delay that Conrad reservation then - the new status requirements are valid starting from January 1st, 2021, so 30 nights this year will mean you’ll have Silver status until January 1st. Once the 30 nights you make this year roll over to next, you’ll have Diamond.

khabah
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by jamalhakim
If those 30 nights have been actual nights in the double offer period you will be Diamond at the end of it. But if they are actually 15 nights, you will need to wait until status updates in January which might not be immediate.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by khabah
You’re going to want to delay that Conrad reservation then - the new status requirements are valid starting from January 1st, 2021, so 30 nights this year will mean you’ll have Silver status until January 1st. Once the 30 nights you make this year roll over to next, you’ll have Diamond.

khabah
OK, that's the way I read the rollover.
I'm currently Diamond.
I've got almost 50 nights in 2020 so all of those roll over to 2021 and that will give me Diamond through the end of Feb 2023 is the way I read the change.

If that's the case, I'm going to cancel my Hilton Surpass card, as I am trying to lighten up on credit cards. I plan on getting the Surpass again in 2023 but want to make sure I get the new card bonus when I reapply so now is probably a good time to cancel.

Anyone see any mistakes in my thinking or suggestions on doing this better to maximize opportunities?

Edit: I found one problem. AmEx bonuses are 'once per lifetime'. Full guide to Amex Once per lifetime restrictions (thepointsguy.com)

Last edited by itsallgood; Dec 10, 2020 at 8:14 am
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsallgood

If that's the case, I'm going to cancel my Hilton Surpass card, as I am trying to lighten up on credit cards. I plan on getting the Surpass again in 2023 but want to make sure I get the new card bonus when I reapply so now is probably a good time to cancel.
Amex doesn't give the bonus twice anymore. That being said before you cut down on cards maybe a better strategy would be to decide first which premium card you want to keep. Both the Hilton Surpass and Bonvoy Brilliant for example are pretty cost neutral compared to the basic cards considering the higher value of the free night cert, the annual credit and Priority Pass.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Amex doesn't give the bonus twice anymore. That being said before you cut down on cards maybe a better strategy would be to decide first which premium card you want to keep. Both the Hilton Surpass and Bonvoy Brilliant for example are pretty cost neutral compared to the basic cards considering the higher value of the free night cert, the annual credit and Priority Pass.
I saw AmEx doesn't give bonus twice after my original post.
While another free night's OK, I'm pretty full up on free nights/points between Hyatt, IHG, and Hilton.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
Is this for certain? I'm currently on 28 nights this year, so one more night with double rewards would put me on 30 nights. Not sure about whether it's worth a mattress run, especially since you may need 30 nights acquired in 2021, and rollover nights won't count. Would appreciate any information you guys have.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mettaworldpeace
Is this for certain? I'm currently on 28 nights this year, so one more night with double rewards would put me on 30 nights. Not sure about whether it's worth a mattress run, especially since you may need 30 nights acquired in 2021, and rollover nights won't count. Would appreciate any information you guys have.
I'm also on 28 nights. I check out of my existing hotel on Monday, if it changes overnight into Tuesday I will let you know.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mettaworldpeace
Originally Posted by Schwann
I'm also on 28 nights. I check out of my existing hotel on Monday, if it changes overnight into Tuesday I will let you know.
Pulled this from Hilton's announcement about reduced elite qualifications:
  • Reducing Status Qualification Requirements by 50 percent across all tiers, including stays, nights and Base Points in 2021, to allow members to achieve status in half the time. For example, this means to earn Gold status, a member must complete 20 nights, 10 stays or 37,500 Points instead of 40 nights, 20 stays or 75,000 points. And, as previously announced, all 2020 nights will automatically roll over to the 2021 calendar year to help Hilton Honors members upgrade their tier status even faster.
Also, check out this clipping from the article's attached infographic:

Basically, accruing 30 nights this year will put you 10 nights short of Gold under the current thresholds. Come January 1st, 2021, you'll start the year with 30 nights, which will trigger Diamond status since the new threshold for Diamond will be 30 nights.

Hope this helps.

khabah
Schwann and mettaworldpeace like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.