Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Virginia Beach SOUTH OCEANFRONT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...

Searching for info on this hotel and the only info I see for a Doubletree in VA Beach is one that is insland. This is right on the beach and I think might be a converted property. Address is 615 Atlantic Avenue Virginia Beach, Virginia - anyone know anything about it?

Did a little more research... Used to be a Ramada Plaza hotel

Last edited by fwfdan; Nov 4, 2020 at 11:44 pm
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
I stayed at it as the Ramada but it was a decent location.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Stayed here In November 2020.

DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront South

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/orf...anfront-south/

This was a Ramada that was converted to a Doubletree in September 2019 according to the front desk. It is pretty much at the end of Atlantic Avenue and right on the boardwalk (I have always thought calling what VA beach has a "boardwalk" odd since it is a concrete strip going up the length of the beach).

Rooms are really quite small. Nicely renovated and all are oceanfront balcony rooms. Small balcony with two chairs and a small cocktail table.
Self parking is free (not sure if that is just for now) across the street in a garage and valet parking is available for $16 ($6 for Diamond).
Breakfast was served off the a special Diamond/Gold menu with continental options for free and hot options for a $5 upcharge.

The staff were outstanding and I would for sure recommend the hotel.

From a covid perspective it appeared to be taken seriously by the staff. I will note that my husband forgot to wear his mask when he first went in (couple hours of driving and the need of a restroom!) and no one said a word. There was a box of masks and hand sanitizer at the front door but did not notice it anywhere else.

Edited post to add a few things:
  • Asked for late check-out (did not request a specific time but were looking for 2 or 3). Regular checkout is 11am were offered 12 and then 1pm but that was it... We asked about Diamond status and was told that was they best they could do for free. Hotel looked pretty empty (I would be surprised if it was higher that 20%) so I don't think our desired later would have been a big deal, but we just decided to check out around noon and head out to lunch instead of hanging at the beach. (weather was beautiful for November!)
  • Valet parking: As I said the hotel was pretty empty. We used valet (free parking is across the street - at most a block away) but when the few times we wanted to get our car there was no valet on duty. Not a big deal at all since the keys were at the front desk and the car was in the first or second spot out front. So it seems "valet parking" is actually "parking right outside the front door". Valet only spots were blocked and it looks like at regular arrival times they always had someone on duty but not at the times we were heading out (around noon). I think it is likely an off season very low occupancy situation.

Pic from the room to the balcony (no other pictures - like I said the room was small and our stuff all over the place made it look like a college dorm room after a day!)

If moderator could change the name of the thread to conform to standard for hotel info I would appreciate it... (I assume format is name plust {US-VA}, correct?)

Last edited by fwfdan; Nov 11, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.