FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   What Waldorfs Provide "Waldorf-Level" Service? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2027545-what-waldorfs-provide-waldorf-level-service.html)

DJ_Iceman Oct 25, 2020 8:13 pm

What Waldorfs Provide "Waldorf-Level" Service?

I've stayed in a handful of W=A properties, and was less than impressed with all of them. Whenever I read a thread here about Waldorfs, the review inevitably includes some variation of the phrase "they didn't provide Waldorf-level service" or "the rooms weren't Waldorf-quality".

So what properties DO have this vaunted level of room and service quality? I really want to like W=A, and am hoping I just haven't stayed at (or read about) the right ones.

jxd Oct 26, 2020 1:30 am

I believe the WA Beverley hills is the best (city) WA out there, with a pricetag to match of course. (Before covid) They even provided free private shuttles in their Rolls Royce within a 3(?) Km radius. Also a $30 daily credit that can be used at any restaurants for gold/diamond members. We used the credits nightly at the rooftop restaurant by Jean Georges, amazing views and reasonable prices. Rooms are huge for LA standards with a balcony and everything (from the lights to the curtains) can be controlled by a tablet or Alexa.

MS02113 Oct 26, 2020 10:33 am

Have had excellent stays at Waldorf Astoria hotels in Bangkok, Berlin, and Versailles. The service, facilities, and dining were first rate at each, and I would recommend without hesitation.

Service at Park City was exceedingly good for a U.S. property, our upgraded suite nice (if a bit dated in parts), and the restaurant enjoyable. The lack of thermal spa and locker room facilities for fitness center/pool was a small disappointment. Edinburgh offered polished service, but be sure to book the desired room type if base accommodations would disappoint. It's been a few years, but as I recall Roosevelt New Orleans was nice.

Have enjoyed stays at Arizona Biltmore and Grand Wailea, though in both cases, the sheer size of the resorts precludes a truly luxurious experience. At Arizona Biltmore, room quality varies. I don't think Grand Wailea warrants its Waldorf Astoria branding; on the fence about Arizona Biltmore.

Consensus suggests that properties in Florida, Puerto Rico, and Panama are underwhelming.

hedoman Oct 26, 2020 10:37 am

There should be one WA. And it should be in NYC. A second one in Beverly Hills is fine. Under Blackstone, they whored out the brand. I remember asking one GM why his hotel is a WA. "Because someone at Blackstone wanted it to be." He just shook his head. A short time later, the hotel changed to a lesser Hilton flag.

Maybe they do maintain quality level outside USA.

FlyingHighlander Oct 26, 2020 11:08 am

WA Las Vegas does not have "Waldorf Level Service"

Michael19887 Oct 26, 2020 11:12 am

Here is my experience from my stays, from top to bottom -

1. Waldorf Level Hard Product & Service - Maldives, Beverly Hills, Roosevelt, old Towers of NYC
2. Hilton+ Hard Product & Service at Hilton+ Prices - Orlando, Arizona Biltmore, old NYC,
3. Hilton+ Hard Product & Service at Waldorf Prices - Chicago

I often enjoy my stays at the Tier 2 properties I mentioned. Even though I don't find the properties or service are luxury, I find them priced accordingly and below neighboring real luxury hotels, such as Ritz, Four Seasons, St. Regis.

standbyalldtime Oct 26, 2020 11:24 am

WA Amsterdam has been by far my favorite WA hotel. It's what first made me quite loyal to the WA brand. I've visited twice, and can't wait to go back again.

The quality of the service from everybody I interacted with, from desk agents, doormen, to bartenders/waiters, have been nothing short of top notch.

Bangkok was quite good as well.

aww3583 Oct 26, 2020 11:57 am

I've only stayed at two WAs, but the experience at them was vastly different.

Roosevelt
-- Hard product is our favorite of the 200+ Hilton properties we've ever visited. We love the beds so much we're seriously considering buying a WA mattress and linens this year.
-- Service is above average, but falls victim to the New Orleans labor market mentality. Some check-in agents are best-in-the-business. Others couldn't care less.
-- Concierge is hit-or-miss.
-- Valet drop-off is a cluster, no matter the time of day. Valet pick-up can be instantaneous, or can take 30+ minutes.
-- Sazerac Bar and Teddy's are stellar.
-- Very gracious with upgrades for our family and accommodations/treats for our kids.
-- Lobby is stunning. But, at Christmas, it's flooded with non-guests taking family photos. Seriously, could be an evacuation hazard.

Orlando
-- Facility could be an upscale Hilton.
-- Pool is wonderful, but poolside service is lacking. We were enjoying the pool one evening (18-months ago, pre-COVID) with a few dozen other guests. Poolside service shut down at 6PM despite lots of hungry/thirsty guests.
-- Breakfast, both the food and the service, were amazing.
-- Valets loaded wrong luggage into our vehicle at check-out. I'm glad I checked or I would have lost my golf clubs (my travel bag contained someone else's clubs/shoes).

MsAssertive Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm

I would cast a vote for the Waldorf Astoria in Rome (Rome Cavalieri). Superb service, fantastic dining both in the Imperial Lounge and at La Pergola, and lovely rooms which is why I've stayed there three times. I wish I could say the same about the Chicago Waldorf.

Super Mario Oct 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post 32774179)
I've only stayed at two WAs, but the experience at them was vastly different.

Roosevelt
-- Hard product is our favorite of the 200+ Hilton properties we've ever visited. We love the beds so much we're seriously considering buying a WA mattress and linens this year.
-- Service is above average, but falls victim to the New Orleans labor market mentality. Some check-in agents are best-in-the-business. Others couldn't care less.
-- Concierge is hit-or-miss.
-- Valet drop-off is a cluster, no matter the time of day. Valet pick-up can be instantaneous, or can take 30+ minutes.
-- Sazerac Bar and Teddy's are stellar.
-- Very gracious with upgrades for our family and accommodations/treats for our kids.
-- Lobby is stunning. But, at Christmas, it's flooded with non-guests taking family photos. Seriously, could be an evacuation hazard.

I really enjoyed the Roosevelt. It is upscale, full of history, has a destination bar, etc. However, I think what you are getting at with the check-in agents and concierge would constitute some people saying it is not "Waldorf service".

I just got back from the Waldorf Resort and Beach Club in Boca, also spent some time at the Beach Club. Definitely was "Waldorf service". A fantastic resort.

arlflyer Oct 26, 2020 1:26 pm

These days? Probably none of them. But of the ones I've stayed at, I was most impressed by the Palm Jumeirah location. I'm not really big on "service" (I prefer to be left alone...) and am much more easily impressed by a shiny hard product. :D

SeaHawg Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Roosevelt is fantastic! One of the best hotels in the world no matter the brand!

Stayed there numerous times and never been disappointed.

It is WA hard and soft product through and through...

gbongc Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 32774449)
These days? Probably none of them. But of the ones I've stayed at, I was most impressed by the Palm Jumeirah location. I'm not really big on "service" (I prefer to be left alone...) and am much more easily impressed by a shiny hard product. :D

Same. I will never forget that time I was upgraded from base room to a deluxe king suite (though I did book with FHR and Diamond status). The concierge greeted me when I arrived at the hotel, and gave me a tour around the room, and was very enthusiastic when describing the fruit platter and towel animals in the room!

ChateauMargaux Oct 26, 2020 4:59 pm

I've had great service at the WA Bangkok, Beijing, and Shanghai. I found most US WA pretty generic. But that can be said for many US hotels compared to Asian ones.

Single_Flyer Oct 26, 2020 5:10 pm

I've stayed at two:

Rome: Very gaudy which some might enjoy. Didn't find the service to be that excellent. It felt to me like a hotel that tried to be fancy but was mostly just old. https://singleflyer.com/2017/12/13/r...storia-review/
Jerusalem: Great hard product. Service was good but not blown away. https://singleflyer.com/2019/08/02/w...usalem-review/