Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Elite recognition and points when booking through AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts?

Old Oct 25, 20, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I was wondering what everyone's experience has been when booking Hilton properties through the Fine Hotels and Resorts programs.

I see a few data points online relating to whether Marriott and Hyatt stays booked through FHR accrue elite benefits, but nothing for Hilton Honors.

AMEX is currently offering $150 back when booking a PREPAID stay through FHR. I just booked such a stay at Waldorf Astoria Park City.

I also booked a postpaid stay at Conrad Washington for next month because they were offering a free fourth night.

Right now, the postpaid stay is showing up in my HHonors account but with the word "EXPEDIA" noted on stay record.

The prepaid stay isn't showing in my Hhonors account at all.

I have heard mixed reports about whether FHR stays earn elite benefits at Marriott and Hyatt, and there seems to be anecdotal evidence that the prepaid stays are less likely to earn elite benefits.

Does anyone have Hilton-related data points regarding elite recognition and points earning on FHR prepaid and postpaid stays?

Thanks.

Last edited by jphripjah; Oct 29, 20 at 8:30 pm
Old Oct 31, 20, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, no one responded so I shall answer my own question and provide my own data point in the hope it will be helpful to someone else.

I called the hotel the day before my stay (still within the cancellation window) and asked if they would likely upgrade me from a Jr. suite to a full suite, and they said yes (I had heard that under the terms of the FHR program, they didn't have to do that).

I started that call by saying I was unfamiliar with FHR benefits, I usually get Diamond benefits. The agent told me that FHR benefits on property were better and asked for my Honors number so that I would earn points.

I gave it to him and then the reservation immediately showed up in my account online. That was important. Before that, the reservation wasn't tied to my Honors number even though I had input my Honors number on the AMEX page when booking the reservation.

The FHR benefits at this hotel included $60 a day for breakfast for two people, which was better than the $30 a day Diamond benefit.

It appears that I got full Honors points on my incidental spend AND on the prepaid spend I put on my AMEX platinum. This was a pleasant surprise.

Again, make sure that you call property ahead of time and give them your Honors number or give it at check in to increase your chances of getting points, don't rely on just inputting it on the AMEX booking page.
Dambus, gt5889a, Xelodia and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Well, no one responded so I shall answer my own question and provide my own data point in the hope it will be helpful to someone else.
Thank you. I have not used the FHR system yet but am planning to in the not-too-distant-future. I appreciate your information.
Old Dec 14, 20, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (1mm), Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Thanks for the update on Hilton. I'm booking a FHR trip for May 2021 now.

Pre-2020 (since I have not done any fun travel this year) I have not had any problems with Hilton in earning points via FHR postpaid. I usually call Hilton to get my HH number registered with the reservation and has never been a problem. Marriott reservations do show up on my account but I have had multiple issues with my stays in Asia earning Marriott points. I've always needed to contact an agent. Again this is all post-paid, I have not done prepaid.
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've booked two FHR reservations this week (albeit on Amex Travel UK) and their system automatically applied my HH number to the reservation and was viewable in the app immediately.
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:55 am

The terms of the program say you get your elite benefits and points.

I haven't used the program much (and never at a Hilton) but in my limited experience, that is correct.

If you don't, you should call FHR and they'll set it right.
Old Dec 14, 20, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
With FHR prepaid bookings are complicated and usually not eligible for points or benefits. Virtuoso is better that way.
Old Feb 12, 21, 11:33 am

Curious on what to do w/ an upcoming booking through FHR at a Conrad property ... my boyfriend is a Diamond, I am a lowly Gold, I however am the one that has the plat and need to make the booking in my name. I see the booking has been added to my Hilton account - is it worth reaching out to Hilton and letting them know my partner will be with me and provide his HH #? I guess the only benefit from his diamond status would be a better upgrade, but not even sure that's the case ? Last time we stayed at this property (Punta Mita), we booked on his account & got an incredible oceanfront suite, which would be nice this time around as well.

Any insight is appreciated.

Search this Thread