Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Candler Hotel Atlanta (Curio), Atlanta GA {US-GA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:19 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta

I had searched for reviews, but the hotel is either too new, or had the misfortune of having the bulk of its open days smack In The Time Of Covid, so... Here's a quickie, sorry no pics.

Bottom line up front: This elegant-but-totally-comfortable hotel knows how to do great customer service "in these unprecedented times."

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/atl...hotel-atlanta/

I booked a two night stay, wanted to pop over to the Georgia Aquarium and the Botanical Gardens. I saw the Candler was in a historic building, looked all kinds of classy, and Googlemapped mere feet from a MARTA station.

Came in from ATL airport, hopped on MARTA, and -poof- popped up on Peachtree Street literally across the street from the hotel doors. It was late, so one side was locked, so we circled the building and found the correct doors. Probably best they're a little protected: A lot of sketchy folks on the street doing sketchy things. But once inside, it is classy as heck - Tiffany glass windows, marble, a restored tile floor, large chandeliers, rich carpets that we noted were powdered and vacuumed fresh at least once a day. Front desk enormously helpful - a woman there even gave my daughter a couple postcards from their stash, very kind - cool room keys! little octagon red proximity tiles which I hadn't seen before.

Since breakfast is closed at George's (sadness! I wanted to try it, and it looks fantastic!) most hotels are like "Too bad, Covid, shrug" or a yoplait in a bag... Not the Candler! A zap of a QR code and you have four choices of very nicely done, elegant breakfast boxes delivered to your door at 8-830 every morning. They had choices of croissants, real greek yogurt, relishes, fruit cups, lox, that sort of thing. A small bottle of orange juice was included, and there are cold water bottles in the gym as well as in the room fridge. Well done.

I was Diamond upgraded to a suite on the 16th floor. SO NICE. All the old, elegant construction is there, but clean and solid and new feeling. I understand the hotel is just a year old - it was a law office or somesuch prior, and of course Mr. Candler (Coca-Cola magnate zillionaire) originally built it as his HQ back in 1906.

Large tub, wonderful bed and linens, super window views with rich tapestry curtains that blacked out the two rooms. Nespresso machine, a little seating bench and chairs around a small table that could serve as desk or dining, fridge, ice bucket, large dressing mirror in front room. Sofa bed pullout, coffee table, and two large wingback velveted chairs in the living room. Separate bathroom also had a large shower seprarate from the footed tub (with tub table) and nice set of shampoos and such. Separate toilet that had privacy doors from both sides, but it's a king suite, so assumedly you know everyone you're staying with. Nice bathrobes. Lit closet with luggage stand, plenty of dressers and two large tvs. No movie channels, which was odd, but the views of downtown were great instead! (Candler building USED to be the tallest in the area, but obviously skyscrapers moved in after 1906

The gym is first class, lots of brand new machines, water, towels, etc. No pool or spa, but pretty much any exercise station one could think of. That's in the lower lobby/basement, which as a restored tile floor that's very striking. Everywhere in the hotel, there's little QR codes under the art, sculpture, railings, etc. that you can smartphone zap and it'll give some details about the age/importance of the artifact.

Summary - 10/10, this hotel is hitting above it's goals, would stay again anytime. I usually have stayed at the Hilton Atlanta, but this buries that property in proximity to all the things we wanted to do, as well as a very luxurious stay. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful. The front deskwoman and man as well as the woman doing the rugs in the foyer were so friendly and cared about their jobs. Such a great stay!

Questions, ask 'em. Sorry again no pics, I probably just thought I couldn't do it justice! This link has some better shots of the type of luxe the Candler oozes with.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/10/2...-where-to-stay

...and the restaurant that one day I swear I will eat Diamond breakfast in, with those old fashioned looking espresso machines and gorgeous tile and marblework all around:

https://atlanta.eater.com/2019/10/23...wntown-atlanta

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Oct 26, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I was Diamond upgraded to a suite on the 16th floor. SO NICE. All the old, elegant construction is there, but clean and solid and new feeling. I understand the hotel is just a year old - it was a law office or somesuch prior, and of course Mr. Chandler (Coca-Cola magnate zillionaire) originally built it as his HQ back in 1906.
Thanks for the writeup! Out of curiosity - did you originally book the regular room, or the deluxe city view room?
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta , Hilton (Diamond), Hertz (gold), AA (plat)
Thanks for this timely review. In my need to see some live sports, I'm going to take in a Falcons/Broncos game in a few weeks and decided to book the Candler based on reading your write up. Seems like a pretty easy walk to the stadium!

--josh
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:16 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by gr2020
Thanks for the writeup! Out of curiosity - did you originally book the regular room, or the deluxe city view room?
Regular King.
gr2020 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta FO
If you watch the movie Baby Driver, the bank they rob in the very beginning is at The Candler!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:44 pm

Programs: SK Gold
Has anyone stayed here recently and can give an update? Also would anyone be able to compare this hotel to the Ellis (Marriott)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.