Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Charged no-show fee despite showing up - should I get the fee back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged no-show fee despite showing up - should I get the fee back?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
At the place I work at now, there is a memo on the wall from the management company that says if you punch in or out more than five minutes before or after your shift you'll be written up and the second time you'll be terminated.
At such a place I would have laughed in their face before even signing a contract and tell them to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have such a policy in place in a service, let alone hospitality environment. Something like this shows the core of management culture of any establishment. Sometimes it's best to walk away, both as an employee and as a customer.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
At such a place I would have laughed in their face before even signing a contract and tell them to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have such a policy in place in a service, let alone hospitality environment. Something like this shows the core of management culture of any establishment. Sometimes it's best to walk away, both as an employee and as a customer.
The bulk of the franchise companies I've worked for (current one included) are in it solely to strip mine the properties for the money and each handbook & set of policies that come along are more controlling/manipulative/ridiculous than the next. Ah, the things you deal with to keep the gravy train of $35 room rates coming. Truly, that's the only reason why I'm still in the game. At this point nothing surprises me. Employees are 100% expendable and Hilton could care less the same as the franchise company which is how/why memos like the one I mentioned get written/enforced.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Who on earth books a 99GBP hotel room for 2 hours...
I booked one several times at such rates even if used a few hours only for... various activities.

However in the OP's case I'd have just booked a day room rate which is very easy with Hilton and usually valid for 8am-5pm.

Definitely open a customer service file against this hotel or dispute the charge with the CC company, showing the initial email as support for your case.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
did you know that now with Hilton you can book day rooms? just choose same day check in and check out.

pretty cool, and it only started last year, I believe.

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
As the original poster, I wanted to follow up on what happened at the Hilton-branded hotel in the UK.

The hotel refused to budge on the refund multiple times despite providing them with documentation on the agreement. I started a case with the Diamond Desk that forwarded it to the hotel and got the same outcome. I contacted Hilton Corporate (via Twitter). They told me what was written on the case: "the notes on the case from the management team state that since no one checked in, the points for this stay were refunded.". However, I did check in (I was in the room!). After explaining the situation, and reviewing my evidence, the Twitter team sent me a check for my stay. The points were then deducted from my Hilton account which was fair to reimburse the hotel, but I felt came across mean-spirited given that I had to spend a fair bit of time working with the hotel. Not sure if the points actually went to the hotel, or just went back to Hilton to partially reimburse itself.

In-all: I am back in the position I should have been weeks ago points-wise and cash-wise but time-wise it was a complete waste.

I am repeating the same journey next week, but haven't got the hotel booked this time (... yet). I usually try to stay at this hotel but I feel burned by the whole experience, and so I'm hesitating: the hotel management were coming across as petty and wasting everybody's time. If I do stay, I am thinking of emailing the management team at the hotel to make sure that I don't have any issues this time as at least one of the stays would be a repeat of the last visit (points room for a couple of hours in the morning).
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adpucci
did you know that now with Hilton you can book day rooms? just choose same day check in and check out.

Day use rooms have been bookable online for at least 7-8 years...

The problem is that somebody might be arriving from an overnight flight at 5-6 am and want a room, whilst the day use rooms only allow entry around 8-10 am depending on the hotel. Plus, you can't use points for day use rooms.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:16 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
did you know that now with Hilton you can book day rooms? just choose same day check in and check out ...
Yes. I’ve done this from time to time over close to 10 years now.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

I did, and I have before, and I even see the points offers for doing so. In this instance, it was before the offer was out, and I wanted to burn some points as it was a good rate (for me) relative to the cash price of either a day room or a night’s stay. In addition, the hotel had signed off on it in advance so felt fair game to me. The points were more disposable to me for an hour or two stay compared to the cash rate. I only wanted a shower and a place to get changed and settled, and the arrivals lounges at LHR weren’t available to do that so went with the award price particularly because I was going to be out before the check out time of the overnight stay (midday. I only need room from 9-1130am max which is firmly part of the confirmed overnight room booking I had booked). Being a Hilton hotel located at the London end of the high-speed premium public transport link between Heathrow and Central London, I thought it was worthwhile effort to stay with them and hoped it’d help them out.

I didn’t stay at the hotel in the end last week week as a direct result of this experience as it took hours to sort out with none of my time being covered for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.