Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Service Gratuities When There's Zero Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Gratuities When There's Zero Service?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I would not have done that...I would have called the Head of Housekeeping and had someone come to look and see and explain. If you do it yourself how do they know or not know what their staff is doing/not doing?
Oh I took pictures and let the front desk know. Lets just say the supposed senior manager just didn't care. I was told that they would do better next time. If management tells customers to F off, I highly doubt letting head of housekeeping would get me any further.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jeff191
That probably depends on the hotel and what they charge but average housekeeping salary is really low. Sadly it's pretty much how the model works for service industry jobs in US where tips are a part of total compensation. The model irritates me and I hate figuring out who to tip and how much all the time but withholding tips based on a philosophical stance hurts the wrong people. Do I wish it worked differently? Absolutely but until something changes I figure if I choose to stay in hotels, tips are part of the deal.

I honestly feel better tipping housekeeping as they're the ones that have to clean up after me vs. tipping the valet to get my car from sometimes less than 100 ft. away.
I get where you're coming from and I generally agree with you. That said, the notion that the average housekeeping salary is really low isn't as cut and dried as you might believe.

The hourly rates of various hotel employees depend a lot on whether the position are union or not. In the city I worked the majority of my hotel career, housekeeping staff were represented by a union. Front Desk staff (where I started out) was non-union. Back then, the starting hourly rate for housekeeping staff was several dollars higher than the starting hourly rate for Front Desk staff.

For the record, I cleaned my fair share of rooms in the decade I worked in hotel operations. It's not an easy job. I'm not saying those employees didn't earn every penny. I'm merely pointing out the fact that blanket statements about wages aren't necessarily accurate.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
and the room staff get to keep all the leftovers you leave behind, like Rolex watches
hedoman and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I generally leave ~$5/day at full service properties for each day I receive housekeeping.

If there is no housekeeping during my stay (whether its the hotel's choice or mine) I'll leave $5 total. I'm not a big fan of tipping to cover costs the company should be covering in the first place. In contrast, when exceptional service is received I'm a big fan of rewarding that.

I'm currently typing this from a Marriott TownePlace Suites (cringe I know) where the room I received was not very well cleaned when I first entered it. Hair on the pillows, crumbs and other messy spots on the floors in the corners, hair literally covering the back of the bathroom door (no idea how this happens but if anyone has an answer I'm all ears). I'm debating whether or not I should leave anything after this stay.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by cmd320
I generally leave ~$5/day at full service properties for each day I receive housekeeping.

If there is no housekeeping during my stay (whether its the hotel's choice or mine) I'll leave $5 total. I'm not a big fan of tipping to cover costs the company should be covering in the first place. In contrast, when exceptional service is received I'm a big fan of rewarding that.

I'm currently typing this from a Marriott TownePlace Suites (cringe I know) where the room I received was not very well cleaned when I first entered it. Hair on the pillows, crumbs and other messy spots on the floors in the corners, hair literally covering the back of the bathroom door (no idea how this happens but if anyone has an answer I'm all ears). I'm debating whether or not I should leave anything after this stay.
I’d say no, as you’re just encouraging this type of substandard service.

Hopefully you complained.

I’ve had over 80 nights booked since March, and haven’t run into any housekeeping issues. Then again, I’m in Asia, and I find most things superior in the service arena.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I'm debating whether or not I should leave anything after this stay.
Why the debate?

I'm wrapping up a 6 month stay occupying one of the few suites in the hotel. ZERO service the entire stay. Several times I've listened to the housekeeper talk about the absence of tips during this virus. It's now occurring to me that she could be directly referring to the suite occupied by me. Maybe she is used to receiving 5 or $10/day for this suite. Maybe she is thinking I am costing her approx. $1,000. in lost income. This thread has put a new perspective on this stay.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hedoman
Why the debate?

I'm wrapping up a 6 month stay occupying one of the few suites in the hotel. ZERO service the entire stay. Several times I've listened to the housekeeper talk about the absence of tips during this virus. It's now occurring to me that she could be directly referring to the suite occupied by me. Maybe she is used to receiving 5 or $10/day for this suite. Maybe she is thinking I am costing her approx. $1,000. in lost income. This thread has put a new perspective on this stay.
Did she offer to clean the room/suite? Did you request any service? Did she provide any housekeeping services?

David
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
No, no, and no equals ZERO. I would take cleaning materials from her cart and she has opened the locked chute door so the towels could be dumped. I've furnished and laundered my own bedding. Used own soap/shampoo.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The room I received was not very well cleaned when I first entered it. Hair on the pillows, crumbs and other messy spots on the floors in the corners, hair literally covering the back of the bathroom door... I'm debating whether or not I should leave anything after this stay.
Only in America.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hedoman
No, no, and no equals ZERO. I would take cleaning materials from her cart and she has opened the locked chute door so the towels could be dumped. I've furnished and laundered my own bedding. Used own soap/shampoo.
I agree - there's no service she provided to tip on.

David
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I don't know about all chains, but isn't Hilton generally known for taking decent care of it's employees anyway? I am not saying that doesn't mean not to ever tip, but in a no service situation, I wouldn't either. Housekeeping is getting paid fairly in Hiltons, I believe. Remember the controversy about the (was it the CEO?) not tipping because of how well they were treated? Of course he walked it back because of the outcry and who he was, but Hilton isn't Marriott, if you know what I mean. That said, I stayed at a Hilton like that in May and couldn't believe how little service there was at a "full service" hotel. Some of this is a bit much. But I digress.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Whether you see them or not, someone will be picking your wet towels up off the floor, scrubbing your toilet, cleaning everything in the room they used to clean but now maybe even more stringently. I would not tip housekeeping daily if you don't get/request service (how would they pick up the tip anyway if you don't let them in the room???) but I sure as heck would tip as normal on the last day (a one-day tip, not times the number of days stayed).
I get the idea of tipping in service industries as it encourages good service and it can be a win-win and I am certainly tipping more during these times but I could never really understood the logic of tipping the people who clean your rooms. There are exceptions but for the most part it doesn't feel like an industry to me where you can reward good service. I don't ever look at my room after housekeeping has been and think OMG the housekeeping went above and beyond in cleaning this room, I must reward this good service.

That said, tipping people like this during these times to help out when their hours and income may be down, is a noble and decent gesture. But this, imho, is arguably just charity rather than tipping for "service". Not there there is anything wrong with charity.

My sense is that tipping for housekeeping is dying out in the U.S. and it is mostly older people(50+) that do it, but I may be completely wrong. I think the stats from surveys show that only roughly 20% of hotel guests in the U.S. tip for housekeeping so it is definitely not the cultural norm. And outside the U.S. and Canada, of course, it is much rarer.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Oct 20, 2020 at 3:01 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'll normally tip housekeeping but if they aren't making up the room or otherwise providing any service then I wouldn't be tipping because there's nothing tip them for. I feel like if you're leaving money at that point it isn't a tip, it's just a donation.
Disagree. Their job got more difficult. For one, I believe their compensation per room (and they are almost always paid per room cleaned) hasn't gone up but the work required has (extra cleaning and disinfecting protocols due to covid). For another, their job has also gotten riskier: Aerosoles carrying covid can linger around for hours. There is at least some additional risk of getting infected for housekeeping staff, and there's a hugey increased risk for wait staff.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Disagree. Their job got more difficult. For one, I believe their compensation per room (and they are almost always paid per room cleaned) hasn't gone up but the work required has (extra cleaning and disinfecting protocols due to covid). For another, their job has also gotten riskier: Aerosoles carrying covid can linger around for hours. There is at least some additional risk of getting infected for housekeeping staff, and there's a hugey increased risk for wait staff.
That may all well be true but it doesn't detract from his argument that at this point what you are leaving them is a donation, rather than a tip.
BearX220 and User Name like this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Enigma368
That may all well be true but it doesn't detract from his argument that at this point what you are leaving them is a donation, rather than a tip.
Wasn't the cleaning of the room between guests their main task even pre-covid? In your typical superior room in your typical business hotel, making up the room takes like 10 min on days in which there is no check-out/check-in and 30-50 min on days with a check-out/check-in. Given the average hotel stay outside resorts is like 2 days or so, the bulk of their work is housekeeping of rooms with a check-out/check-in that day. Given the extra cleaning protocols (disinfecting bathroom, surfaces, remote, in-room safe, door knobs, light switches...) the service they're providing is not likely to have gone down in total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.