Rio de Janeiro Hilton options

Old Oct 17, 20, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Rio de Janeiro Hilton options

Was going to post this in the Brazilian discussion thread ... and then I realized the last post there was from 2013 so wasn't sure if I should revive it -- mods, of course please merge it if appropriate.

Going to be visiting a client's 3 offices in Brazil next month -- visited this client in a few other countries but Brazil is new territory for me. One office in Sao Paulo is no brainier -- Hilton is about a 20-25 minute walk down the street (look, ma, no turns required) .

First office in Rio de Janiero, actually where I'll be spending the most of my time, is even closer to the Hilton Rio de Janeiro Barra.
Last stop in Rio -- maybe 3/4 of a day out of the entire trip -- is only about a 1 kilometre from the Hilton Copacabana ...

Not knowing anything about the relative merits/qualities of the Brazilian properties, if you were in my position would you just do the entire stay at the Barra property or spend one night at the Copacabana property?

On one hand I like the idea of one less pack/unpack cycle for this trip -- and given the state of the world at the moment I'm not going to be playing tourist -- on the other hand with a name as well known as Copacabana it seems like I should just do it while I'm there
Old Oct 17, 20, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Was going to post this in the Brazilian discussion thread ... and then I realized the last post there was from 2013 so wasn't sure if I should revive it -- mods, of course please merge it if appropriate.

Going to be visiting a client's 3 offices in Brazil next month -- visited this client in a few other countries but Brazil is new territory for me. One office in Sao Paulo is no brainier -- Hilton is about a 20-25 minute walk down the street (look, ma, no turns required) .

First office in Rio de Janiero, actually where I'll be spending the most of my time, is even closer to the Hilton Rio de Janeiro Barra.
Last stop in Rio -- maybe 3/4 of a day out of the entire trip -- is only about a 1 kilometre from the Hilton Copacabana ...

Not knowing anything about the relative merits/qualities of the Brazilian properties, if you were in my position would you just do the entire stay at the Barra property or spend one night at the Copacabana property?

On one hand I like the idea of one less pack/unpack cycle for this trip -- and given the state of the world at the moment I'm not going to be playing tourist -- on the other hand with a name as well known as Copacabana it seems like I should just do it while I'm there
I have no idea what the Covid situation is, but they are radically different properties, in radically different locations. The threads for each property should be helpful:
Hilton Rio De Janiero Copacabana {BRA}
Hilton Barra Rio de Janeiro {BRA}
Old Oct 18, 20, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK

Barra and Copacabana are chalk and cheese, and miles apart. Splitting the stay might be sensible, but just don't be lulled inti thinking Copacabana is a particularly nice place to stay or that the hotel is a paticularly nice place to stay at.
Old Oct 18, 20, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)

I stayed about both properties in January 2020 and enjoyed both. But as others have said they are radically different properties. Copacabana was a very enjoyable area to stay and while the hotel doesn't have balconies and the Diamond lounge had the same evening canopies the lounge was always crowded. If you didn't arrive when it first opened you were likely standing for a while to obtain a table. The Hilton Barra was a much nicer property from the rooms to the Diamond Lounge but with that said it is in the middle of nowhere and it takes a good 40 minutes during traffic to get between the Hilton Barra and the Hilton Copacabana. The only restaurants in the area of the Hilton Barra are in the mall while Copacabana has quite a few restaurants within walking distance. Also, I did not like the Hilton Barra's pool as it was always windy but their complimentary shuttle to the beach was great and the beach was far nicer in Barra then Copacabana. I think it makes sense to stay at both properties. The staff at both properties were fantastic and the buffet breakfast at the Hilton Copacabana I preferred to the Hilton Barra (if they are even offering this due to COVID-19.)

Hope this helps.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 20, 20, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond

Are you sure you want to walk if you've never been to Brasil before?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: