Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Canopy by Hilton London City {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond

Noticed this one pop up on the UK Hilton website whilst doing a search because Im bored and have way too much time on my hands..
Looks interesting, may have to give this a look post Covid.

Last edited by wizla; Nov 2, 2021 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Well spotted, wizla
This will be a very very handy spot for me to use for work - when I'm eventually back in London with work (whenever that might be...)
wizla likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Finally opened this week after a few delays.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/lon...y-london-city/
wizla, andimilk and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Canopy by Hilton London City First Review

Canopy by Hilton London City

1 Review | 100% Recommended

11-15 Minories London, GB EC3N 1AX

Canopy by Hilton London City First Review (0 Photo)

Introduction

This will be a slightly longer review than I'd normally post as it looks like I'm the first FTer to visit and review the new 4* Canopy London City. I have made it quite comprehensive to cover as many likely queries Flyer Talkers may have, but if you have any questions, let me know. The FT review section is not allowing me to uplaod photos so I will try and add them after.

It's the first Canopy in the UK and the staff were proud to be the 'Lifestyle' brand's flagship property in the UK. It opened just over a week ago. The hotel has 14 floors and is due to have a lounge bar/restaurant on the ground floor as well as a top floor terrace bar. Neither of these are open yet except for breakfast, which does currently limit the hotel's appeal in an area of London not known for its dining options.

Service

Overall service was excellent - especially for a new hotel which are often beset with service related issues. There was one hiccup (more on that later) but otherwise the service was friendly and proactive.

Thie picture  below is taken from the entrance to Aldgate tube station (Circle & Metropolitan lines) and shows how close the hotel is. It's less than a minute's walk between hotel and tube. Fir foreign visitors, the Circle Line will also take you direct to Paddington for trains to Heathrow. Within 5mins walk is Tower Gateway DLR Station for access to Canary Wharf.

In terms of tourist sights, Canopy sits at the furthest east of the main tourist drag - I strolled to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge in under 10mins.

Check In

I had noticed on the App that I had already been upgraded from a King Room to a Premium King Room due to status and this was confirmed at check in. Ultimately the Premium rooms are the same as the normal King rooms but with added amenities, including bathrobe, slippers and slipper socks. There is a plan to provide guests with Premium rooms or higher with a premium breakfast experience in the top-floor terrace. As this restaurant isn't open yet however, the only real difference as far as I can tell is the robes.

Late checkout was pro-actively offered and I accepted. My key card was then timed to expire at the later time before being handed over. I also mentioned I would like to use the gym and had to sign the waiver. At this point my card was re-programmed with access to the fitness facilities.

In my room was a welcome note recognising my status next to a gift of sparkling juice, an eyemask and a Canopy branded notebook.

Room

My room was on the 9th floor. Even number rooms look East towards Greenwich and the odd numbers look back towards the skyscrapers of the City. I had an even number and while the immediate view was better on the opposite, City side, the view across London to the lights of Canary Wharf was decent.

The room is very smart and well appointed. It has an open wardrobe but cupboards that hit the min-fridge, safe and iron etc. A Nespresso coffee machine was provided as well as a kettle. There was a refillable glass water bottle which could be filled at the 'Pantry' on each floor where there was a water fountain tap and ice machine. This was the only water provided and was chilled direct from the tap so it didn't matter that it wasn't in the fridge on arrival. Personally, I like this renewable, plastic saving idea.

Design is a key feature of the brand and the hallways and rooms had art influenced and designed by East London designers to reflect the local area. The room was well finished everywhere except the ceiling, which was left open to the concrete above - a bold design concept which actually worked well.

The desk was a decent size for work and had UK, European and USD power. The desk chair was fairly comfortable with decent enough back support for a day's work.

There were master light switches for all main lights on both sides of the bed as well as UK and USB power. On one side was a Bluetooth radio alarm clock with a wireless charging pad (which worked as I used it to charge my phone).

The air conditioning worked really well, was easy to use and was moderately quiet. The bed was comfortable - I'd describe it as 'medium-firm' - and I slept well overall.

There is a large 49inch TV in the room but no connectivity. This really annoys me with modern TVs which have been programmed with the Hilton hospitality screens. The options to connect wirelessly or by HDMI are blocked. In a world where most people stream from their various devices rather than watch live TV, this was disappointing for a new hotel.

Bathroom

The bathroom is entered through a soft-closing sliding door which is a cool design but isn't sealed to the same extent of a normal door, thus allowing the release of some steam and I would guess odours should any linger in the bathroom.

The shower was great with rainfall and handheld shower heads and good water pressure. Toiletries were provided by Apvita in 50ml individual plastic bottles - so much for the refill, reuse ethos of the drinking water!

Dining

The Lobby Bar looks really good. It certainly feels like an upscale bar and was providing a free gin tasting on the night I was there between 18:00 and 20:00. There is some sort of tasting or happy hour event every evening which is a nice touch and adds a buzz to the otherwise quiet bar.

As mentioned previously, the main restaurant and bar are not yet open so your options for food post-breakfast are light bites a the lobby bar or a hot room service menu. Room service is available 24/7. I tried this out and ordered a pizza which ended up arriving 2 hours after ordering. While fine the pizza wasn't of a quality where it was worth the wait. The hotel waived all charges for the pizza as service recovery. This was the only issue I had in terms of service.

Amenities

Just beyond the lobby bar, there is a cool, cosy little 'quiet area' with lots of access to power outlets, presumably to act as somewhere more relaxed and comfortable to get some work done.

The hotel has a number of 'Canopy bikes' - a feature of all canopy hotels. These are available to borrow to explore the city, if you dare take on the notorious London streets!

Gym

The basement level hosts the Fitness Centre, which consisted of a decent gym with brand new equipment incorporating both cardio and weights. This included a peloton-style bike (Technogym's version) which I tried out and was really impressed with. The gym isn't huge but I was the only person in the gym for my entire 1hr+ workout. The hotel was nowhere near capacity yet so it could get busy down underground, especially if this hotel attracts a 'young professional' crowd. There were also lockers, changing rooms and showers attached to the gym.

Breakfast

Breakfast was laid out in the Penny Squares restaurant so even though it wasn't open officially, I still got to see the space, which was very design-focussed and bright.

The breakfast spread was really good and the service was pro-active and efficient. The waitress offered to make me tea while I was collecting my food so it was at my table by the time I sat down. I'll mostly let the pictures speak for themselves with the breakfast but one thing I must add is that the pastries and muffins were delicious - fresh and tasty. The bread selection was also varied and fresh.

In addition to what you can see in the pictures, a automatic coffee machine was available to make all sorts of coffee drinks plus hot chocolates and hot water for tea. Gluten free and vegan options were available.

Overall

I really enjoyed my stay at the Canopy. I chose it on this occasion as I was on a personal trip and could be a bit more flexible with location. When I'm working, I always choose a hotel based on ease of access to where I'm based for the day and I rarely have business on this side of the City. That said, as a base for a personal trip it's a good jumping off point for exploring East London, including Shoreditch, Hoxton, Tower Hill and Spitalfields. The building is smart inside and out and felt classy throughout. For a new hotel the standard of service was excellent and I hope they can keep this up as occupancy rates increase. I will not be going back until the restaurant and bar are open but I'm interested in seeing what the hotel is like once it's properly up and running. I hope this provides a decent guide as to what to expect at this welcome new addition to Hilton's London portfolio. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Canopy by Hilton London City First Review

Would you like to write a review on the Canopy by Hilton London City?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:54 pm

As I still can't get the review section to upload the photos to the correct review sections - despite trying various browsers and devices - I thought I'd upload the photos here until I can get it sorted. Anyone else had this problem before?
Hopefully the photos below add a little more context to the review.

View of the hotel from Aldgate tube station

Front entrance

Cosy Work Lounge off Lobby

East End inspired artwork in the hallway on floor 9

'The Pantry'

Premium KIng room on entry, mirrored sliding door to bathroom on right

Elite Status welcome gift, which was accompanied by a handwritten note from the guest relations manager

The Room

The Room

Coffee machine, Tea making facilities, Ice bucket and refillable glass water bottle

Mini-fridge in cupboard.

Canopy robe, slippers, slipper socks

The open wardrobe (with cupboards open to show the safe, iron, fridge etc.

Wireless charging alarm clock

Power at desk

Bathroom toiletries

Bathroom

Info on upcoming ground floor restaurant

Info on upcoming top floor terrace bar

Entrance to the basement fitness centre

Lockers in the changing room area

Gym

Gym

Gym

Breakfast - juices

Breakfast - fruits, yoghurts, cereals etc

Breakfast - breads, pastries, croissants, bagels, toast etc

Breakfast - Cold buffet

Breakfast - Hot buffet

Penny Squares restaurant at Breakfast time
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Great review and photos!

Just curious - what does the "transfer" in fitness centre and transfer refer to?

David
Schwann likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC that’s the place to shower before checkin or after checkout should also feature a place to hang out.
Schwann likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:37 am

Who can change the name of the thread? Is it up to wizla as the OP? Or does it need an admin?

My points posted yesterday so I think we can safely say this hotel is now open and included in Honors!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Just curious - what does the "transfer" in fitness centre and transfer refer to?
As suggested above, this is an area to change and refresh for those who are too early to check in or have arrived on business. There is reading material but the only seats are the pommel-style leather bench in the picture. Luggage lockers are available just off the lobby to store larger suitcases.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by andimilk
As suggested above, this is an area to change and refresh for those who are too early to check in or have arrived on business. There is reading material but the only seats are the pommel-style leather bench in the picture. Luggage lockers are available just off the lobby to store larger suitcases.
Ah, that's an interesting way to multipurpose a fitness centre.

Thanks!

David
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:27 pm

I’ve just had a really good stay here. Preupgraded to a junior suite, a warm welcome from loads of managers, four drinks vouchers, two beers and chips in the room, a robe, socks and eye mask. Room really new and clean, great toiletries and layout. A lovely faux fur throw on the sofa to add some depth. They really want to please.

I’ll be returning again next week.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I stayed back in Oct and it had only been open a few days so the restaurant wasn't open for breakfast, so good to see that now. Nice hotel though, I can see the bar being busy in the evenings with the city crowd nearby

Also stayed at the Curio in Stratford recently, not sure I see much difference between Canopy and Curio.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:27 am

Ive had another 2 stays here recently;

First stay was a pre upgrade to a junior suite, but no welcome gift this time. All was OK, two drinks vouchers brought over as they ‘forgot’ at reception. The hotel was very, very quiet.

Second was not as good, check in was rushed. No pre-upgrade this time, allocated a king room. No drinks vouchers or welcome note:gift. This had centrally controlled air con which I couldn’t lower to my desired temperature, vibration/noise from the tube was present (they supplied ear plugs in the room). The hotel was very, very quiet again. I complained about the air con and they sent someone to randomly press buttons, tell me it was cold in the room and the outside temperature. I asked for another room and they offered me a downgraded room at the back opposite my room after asking ‘what is your sequence of events’ - it’s a problem with the temperature, not a court case!! I stayed where I was, no housekeeping on the 2nd day, they answered the phone with ‘Hi’ when calling down to ask for more towels - I thought I’d been connected to someone’s room.

The breakfast buffet was excellent but they decided that it was better to have the staff serve you as a COVID precaution - even though they didn’t sanitise or wear gloves between guests. They’ve now changed this to a menu and plated breakfast, a much better option.

I’ve got two more stays here booked on non-refundables but I think I’ll return back to the Bankside after that.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Would you say this hotel is worth £207 for the standard queen room? I’m thinking of checking out the new Curios The Gantry and Hart as well. Rates seem to be similar with the canopy being slightly dearer.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
Would you say this hotel is worth £207 for the standard queen room? I’m thinking of checking out the new Curios The Gantry and Hart as well. Rates seem to be similar with the canopy being slightly dearer.
I’ve paid around £150-170 for each stay so far, with an upgrade to King or above (see older posts for my last experience). I have a stay this week and next week booked before this happened, let’s see how they are.

I don’t really value this hotel above Hart (same vibe, good shower rooms in both) other than if a tube stop is required. I’ve not done The Gantry yet, it’s booked for end of Feb.
wizla and Winniesbestfriend like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.