Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Outrageous deposits on award stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Wanted to book Hilton Seychelles Northolme for 5 nights using points in late April 2021. 380.000 points for standard room. BUT... they also want to charge my credit card 2650 EUR for guarantee deposit. Which is 100 EUR more than if I would be paying standard cash rate (2550 EUR). Same with other two Hilton properties in Seychelles, same with some other Hilton properties around (like Conrad Maldives). Asked chat feature what is this and got answer its deposit for no-show and that I will get this back... so I should credit this property for next 7 months and loose all my money if they go bust... Is this new Hilton normal??
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they tell you they want to charge it or are you just reading the rate rules?

If the latter, they won’t, it’s a feature at WA MLE too.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
Did they tell you they want to charge it or are you just reading the rate rules?

If the latter, they won’t, it’s a feature at WA MLE too.
This comes up during booking process, under "Cancelation and guarantees" section. I would not risk giving them credit of almost 3000 USD for 7 months ...
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mirror74
I would not risk giving them credit of almost 3000 USD for 7 months ...
Completely agree. I don't ever book anywhere that charges me a deposit for a supposedly flexible reservation.

I do see the other perspective though. Some people reserve rooms using points and then cancel a few days before arrival, leaving the hotel no chance to re-sell the room. A refundable deposit does focus the mind on "am I really going to stay here"
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Completely agree. I don't ever book anywhere that charges me a deposit for a supposedly flexible reservation.

I do see the other perspective though. Some people reserve rooms using points and then cancel a few days before arrival, leaving the hotel no chance to re-sell the room. A refundable deposit does focus the mind on "am I really going to stay here"
Well, i agree. But cancelation deadline in this case is 14 days before arrival, so that leaves some time to re-sell the room. And if some deposit is indeed needed, a bit smaller sum than 3000 USD could be seen as more rational.
lowfareair and hotel_user like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: LH HON
IT bug.
mirror74 and writetorich like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:06 am

I can't imagine the Seychelles is the kind of market a lot of people make last minute trips to. Their booking window is likely more than 14 days out, which is why they have that level of cancellation policy in place.
hhdl, nancypants and writerguyfl like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
I can't imagine the Seychelles is the kind of market a lot of people make last minute trips to. Their booking window is likely more than 14 days out, which is why they have that level of cancellation policy in place.
Well, they could easily do 2 months cancelation window or similar on award booking with no deposit fee. Still waiting for hear anything from Diamond desk or from the hotel. Silence is deafening.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:14 am

Book it and see whether they actually collect. The website might just be getting ahead of itself.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:07 am

Well, they could easily do 2 months cancelation window or similar on award booking with no deposit fee. Still waiting for hear anything from Diamond desk or from the hotel. Silence is deafening.
That would be an even less guest friendly policy.

The issue is that points stays that no show or cancel after the deadline owe one night's room and appropriate taxes at the best available rate. Unfortunately when rates are as high as some of these properties are, that can lead to an absolutely outrageous cancellation or no show fee. From the hotel perspective, there's no way to ensure they can collect that fee without holding an appropriate deposit. As a guest, that would absolutely suck for me because even if I had the points to book those properties, I would not have the fluidity to allow them to hold that kind of deposit, but I absolutely see it from the hotel's perspective as well.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AMEX MR, Southwest, HH Diamond, M Life, Hertz, Amtrak
Wanted to book Hilton Seychelles Northolme for 5 nights using points in late April 2021. 380.000 points for standard room. BUT... they also want to charge my credit card 2650 EUR for guarantee deposit. Which is 100 EUR more than if I would be paying standard cash rate (2550 EUR). Same with other two Hilton properties in Seychelles, same with some other Hilton properties around (like Conrad Maldives). Asked chat feature what is this and got answer its deposit for no-show and that I will get this back... so I should credit this property for next 7 months and loose all my money if they go bust... Is this new Hilton normal??
I'm a no on any of these required points deposits. Definitely seeing more of these since the COVID upend. I personally won't book them in this uncertain environment.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ckx2
IT bug.
Not.
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Book it and see whether they actually collect.
Yes, some do, some don't.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Given the current environment there is no way I was give anyone $3k (or anything near that amount) for months. Yes if the property goes bust you can do a charge back but then you got all the BS hassle with the credit card company. My mum went through it all getting a refund from Virgin Atlantic...

Although we can see it from the hotels point of view, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it. I don't think so.

Can we get a Wiki going with the different properties and what they are charging?
mirror74 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Well, small update: after exchanging e-mails with the property, they assured me that nothing will be charged and if I was to cancel within last 14 days, only 1 night best avail rate would be charged. So, I booked using 380k points, and indeed, nothing was charged (so far, at least), but points...
Boraxo, RAPC and lhrhappy like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing the same $2-3k deposits required for award reservations in Hawaii as well. I booked anyway with a plan of canceling if the charge actually hit my card. So far nothing.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.