Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New promotion mattress run feasibility?

Old Sep 11, 20, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors

Hi,

Just wondering what the situation would be if I were to book a 20 night stay (giving me 40 night credits). If I were to check-in on day 1 and then not return would the hotel make a big fuss? I could return every few days if needed but the fewer visits the better.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 20, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mjbdiamond View Post
Hi,

Just wondering what the situation would be if I were to book a 20 night stay (giving me 40 night credits). If I were to check-in on day 1 and then not return would the hotel make a big fuss? I could return every few days if needed but the fewer visits the better.

Thanks
Are you doing it to gain Diamond? If so isn't it easier to just get a Spire AMEX card that gives you Diamond and would be much cheaper.
Old Sep 11, 20, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by estedman View Post
Are you doing it to gain Diamond? If so isn't it easier to just get a Spire AMEX card that gives you Diamond and would be much cheaper.
In UK so no CC perk but already have diamond til 2022. More on the logic of will enable me to hit 60 nights and all the bonus milestone points along the way, plus extend diamond til 2023.
Old Sep 11, 20, 8:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Should be no issue at all. Depending on the hotel, you might find that a few would be delighted to sell a room for that long and also to find out that you won't need it servicing for some / all of it. (Even based on current limited COVID servicing.) Sometimes worth giving them a call in advance to see if they will do a rate if you explain the situation.
Old Sep 11, 20, 8:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
I am wondering in this context whether the promos will not be even better in 2021 so that a mattress run now may not be needed. But who knows... 2021 looks far away in terms of certainty around travel etc.
Zurich likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I recently read a post on here where someone did the similar. They brought some books and left them on the desk and told the front desk that were using the room for studying/work during the day but wouldn't be sleeping there. They would then periodically return to the hotel and move the books around.
Old Sep 11, 20, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
I recently read a post on here where someone did the similar. They brought some books and left them on the desk and told the front desk that were using the room for studying/work during the day but wouldn't be sleeping there. They would then periodically return to the hotel and move the books around.
Hotels can very easily track access to rooms, since the door keys are electronic, and the usage is logged. When properties say that they are waiting X hours since the guest left before entering a room, this is how they can make that determination. So if a hotel actually cared to call this bluff, they could. I agree with previous posters that, these days, properties would likely just rather have the room revenue and would not care. Now, I don't necessarily agree with OP that this is a scheme worth pursuing - that's attributing a pretty high future value to Diamond in a very uncertain climate.
:D!, writerguyfl and Beano like this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 11:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
If you manage to get a rate of 45 for 20 nights, and already have 20 nights in 2020, I think you'll get about 125000 points worth at least about 450, if you are sure that you can use the points for something more valuable then there would be some value in doing this, but any nights stayed in 2021 would be "wasted"... or do they get rolled over to 2022?
Old Sep 11, 20, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Given the state of HH points and how little Diamond status is worth, I can't possibly see how the math on this would make it worthwhile to do this even at an attractive room rate. I put very little faith in the future value of HHonors points. Everybody who has participated in this program for more than a couple years has been through multiple major structural devaluations - substantially more change and devaluation than Hyatt, Marriott, or Starwood have had in the same time period.

I've done my share of weekend stays over the years to top off a promotion or status requal, but 20 nights?!? $1000+ cash out of pocket, if not more since the UK probably doesn't have a lot of ridiculously-cheap Hiltons?

I'm sitting on 1.5 million points and Diamond status right now and I wouldn't pay much of anything to add to it. I'm probably going to draw down the points as much as possible in 2021 on an Asian trip just to get out of that balance before they devalue again.

Given that Hilton is going to continue pushing promotions and attractive room rates in 2021, and hopefully international travel restrictions will lift by then, wouldn't you rather save the cash and take advantage of promos when you actually want to enjoy the stays?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Or, if reward stays count, find a 5k a night property to do an extended stay at.
Old Sep 11, 20, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Hotels can very easily track access to rooms, since the door keys are electronic, and the usage is logged. When properties say that they are waiting X hours since the guest left before entering a room, this is how they can make that determination. So if a hotel actually cared to call this bluff, they could. I agree with previous posters that, these days, properties would likely just rather have the room revenue and would not care. Now, I don't necessarily agree with OP that this is a scheme worth pursuing - that's attributing a pretty high future value to Diamond in a very uncertain climate.
I think you missed the part where I also noted that you should also include a conversation with the hotel.
Old Sep 11, 20, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
I think you missed the part where I also noted that you should also include a conversation with the hotel.
I also don't know how the hotel would know that you left your room by tracking key access.
The key is used to enter the room, not exit.
Beano likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:01 pm

No, pretty sure I didn't miss it, since the post I quoted above was your first in this thread, and I quoted it in its entirety. I suggest you consult a physician.

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
I also don't know how the hotel would know that you left your room by tracking key access.
The key is used to enter the room, not exit.
Right, because it is beyond the realm of physical possibility that the latching mechanism's mechanical components could actuate a sensor that sends a signal logging the opening of the door. Uh huh. I take it you do not work in industrial automation or a related field.
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:23 pm

In some locations, hotels are required by local law to conduct "welfare" checks on guests if they haven't had some form of contact with them in X days. (It's usually 3 to 5 days.) This requirement is usually satisfied by Housekeeping or Security entering the room. In those locations, entering the room upon check-in and putting up the "Do Not Disturb" for 20 days will not work.

Additionally, after the Las Vegas sniper, many hotels across the country started mandatory security checks of rooms that require a hotel staff member to enter the room every X days.

If a hotel believes the room is checked in but unoccupied, they will promptly check you out. This is a common policy because many guests book multi-night reservations and end up leaving early without informing anyone. Even with a multi-night reservation on the books, a hotel will lose a chargeback if the guest can prove to their credit card company that they were somewhere. As such, hotels are pretty aggressive about this issue. (If a hotel is empty due to COVID, however, they might be more lenient.)

For this scenario to work, you'll need to let the Front Desk. You probably won't need to provide an explanation. (As someone who used to work at hotels, I can tell you that the most staff at the hotel really don't care why.)

TL;DR: Let the hotel know you won't be in the room every day or they will probably check you out long before your 20 night stay ends.
Old Sep 11, 20, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Right, because it is beyond the realm of physical possibility that the latching mechanism's mechanical components could actuate a sensor that sends a signal logging the opening of the door. Uh huh. I take it you do not work in industrial automation or a related field.
So I can upset the system by just opening and closing the door. Maybe out of boredom or devilment........ maybe just to allow room service to enter.
SPN Lifer and :D! like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: