FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Good chuckle on a Thursday... Marriott water distributed at Hilton property (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2024861-good-chuckle-thursday-marriott-water-distributed-hilton-property.html)

aww3583 Sep 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Good chuckle on a Thursday... Marriott water distributed at Hilton property

Got handed a few of these when checking in to a Hampton Inn.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3da9a76d31.jpg

arlflyer Sep 10, 2020 4:33 pm

Lots of property management companies manage across brands. With occupancies down and a need to run lean, gotta work through inventory.

pinniped Sep 11, 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 32666785)
Lots of property management companies manage across brands. With occupancies down and a need to run lean, gotta work through inventory.

I've seen billboards that advertised two properties from different chains in the same space. Always limited-service brands, like a Residence Inn and a Hampton Inn that are across the parking lot from each other and managed by the same company.

storewanderer Sep 11, 2020 12:42 pm

Based on some other reports on this board, would just be happy to get the comp water...

Hipplewm Sep 11, 2020 3:05 pm

I have gotten AA and Delta glasses on UA flights as well....

Most likely as above - one management company owns several hotels - probably in close proximity and water is water

writerguyfl Sep 11, 2020 5:01 pm

I agree this chuckle is probably provided due a local owner with multiple brands in the portfolio.

Less likely but still possible is a good relationship between close competitors. I once worked at a hotel in Minneapolis that was literally connected to one of competitors across the street through the "skyway" system. The skyways connect buildings in Downtown with pedestrian bridges on the second floor so that people can avoid sub-zero winter weather.

During my years at the Front Desk, the Front Desk Managers of both hotels always supported each other in terms of operations. We knew if they had a room, they'd take our relocated guests (aka "walked" guests) and treat them well. And we'd do the same. Stuff like that.

I don't remember water being shared. I do, however, recall a time when their Front Desk Supervisor called late one night in a panic asking what type of key cards our readers used. Turns out, their last shipment was mislabeled and none of their blank keys would encode. We provided an unopened package of our keys and they worked. So, any late arrivals at our competitor that night were given room keys with our logo on them.

cbn42 Sep 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Reminds me of the address of the Hilton in Bakersfield, CA: 3625 Marriott Drive.

flyertalker28120 Sep 12, 2020 3:48 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 32666785)

I agree with the explanation, still would find it unacceptable as the brand operator.

Had the same thing at an Indigo Paddington (IHG) which shares a building with a Mercure (Accor). One investor owns both hotels. I got check-in and check-out at the Mercure, welcome drink at the Mercure, Mercure-branded bottled water, and Mercure-branded soap.

Don't think this is okay from the chain perspective. But I didn't bother getting in touch with IHG (what's it to me?).

hedoman Sep 12, 2020 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 32668946)
probably in close proximity and water is water

One of my 50,000 peeves is putting purified tap water into small plastic bottles. Put spring water into small plastic bottles.

DenverBrian Sep 12, 2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 32669890)
One of my 50,000 peeves is putting purified tap water into small plastic bottles. Put spring water into small plastic bottles.

Or - what a concept - drink from the tap?

Jon Maiman Sep 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Or have a purified water tap in a central location on each floor and provide carafes guests can use to get water and bring it back to their rooms. Marriott's AC brand provides water this way. Many of the Marriott M Club lounges also provide still and carbonated water from a central tap; however, they don't provide carafes only glasses. Sorry to mention some Marriott features on a Hilton thread. Do any of the Hilton brands provide water this way? In any case, reducing the amount of plastic we use is good for everyone.

--Jon

P.S. In our current Covid era, I can understand folks being leery of using water from a centralized tap. Once we're in a post pandemic world though, it shouldn't be an issue.

sdsearch Sep 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by funkydrummer (Post 32669857)
I agree with the explanation, still would find it unacceptable as the brand operator.

Well, that's an explanation, but it's not the only possible explanation (and the OP didn't specify the exact hotel, so it's hard to know for sure).

Another possible explanation is a recent re-branding. I've seen hotels re-use various amenities (soaps, shampoos, etc) from their previous brand (until used up) when they've recently re-branded.

KathyWdrf Sep 13, 2020 12:46 am

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 32669525)
Reminds me of the address of the Hilton in Bakersfield, CA: 3625 Marriott Drive.

The hotels located on Marriott Drive in Bakersfield are: Doubletree by Hilton, Courtyard by Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, Springhill Suites by Marriott, and Holiday Inn & Suites. (Have stayed at some of them, don't know how many are currently in operation. There are also one or two other hotels close by that are technically not on Marriott Drive but rather on Camino del Rio Ct.)

Daniel CH Sep 13, 2020 5:57 am

I think there is likely to be a sound explanation with the supply chain. Still not ideal from a brand perspective though I'm sure the water refreshment was welcome!

The _Banking_Scot Sep 13, 2020 7:21 am

Hi,

Well spotted.!

Depending on the labelling on the front, a lot of people might not notice the marriott name ( unless it said marriott on the front I doubt i would notice).

At least they provided water

Regards

TBS