Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Good chuckle on a Thursday... Marriott water distributed at Hilton property

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good chuckle on a Thursday... Marriott water distributed at Hilton property

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Or have a purified water tap in a central location on each floor and provide carafes guests can use to get water and bring it back to their rooms. Marriott's AC brand provides water this way. Many of the Marriott M Club lounges also provide still and carbonated water from a central tap; however, they don't provide carafes only glasses. Sorry to mention some Marriott features on a Hilton thread. Do any of the Hilton brands provide water this way? In any case, reducing the amount of plastic we use is good for everyone.

--Jon

P.S. In our current Covid era, I can understand folks being leery of using water from a centralized tap. Once we're in a post pandemic world though, it shouldn't be an issue.
Tru has communal water dispensing at lobby level with paper cups in a wall mounted dispenser. Sort of like a gas station soda fountain but with water. I think there may have been ice dispensed next to it too but may just be imagining that detail. But if there was no ice, there should be.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Tru has communal water dispensing at lobby level with paper cups in a wall mounted dispenser. Sort of like a gas station soda fountain but with water. I think there may have been ice dispensed next to it too but may just be imagining that detail. But if there was no ice, there should be.
My experience is that an ice machine is indeed located next to or nearby the water dispensing machine at Tru by Hilton.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I have gotten AA and Delta glasses on UA flights as well....
I remember the waning days of US Airways when they were transitioning out of Star Alliance towards their eventual merger with AA. There was like a 6-month period where flight attendants had to read a long script that included both Star Alliance and AA/Oneworld thanking me for my business. The unspoken part was "Skyteam still hates you and remains unapologetic for stranding you in Atlanta on Christmas night in 2004."

I've occasionally had a regional carrier FA briefly forget what airline that flight was operating as in the script about the FFP or credit card offer.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
Reminds me of the address of the Hilton in Bakersfield, CA: 3625 Marriott Drive.
I can counter balance this with the Marriott Baton Rouge, LA which is on 5500 Hilton Drive
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
I agree with the explanation, still would find it unacceptable as the brand operator.
Yeah, much better for the brand to put the screws to the franchisee during the worst economic climate of the past couple decades, so when the property manager goes belly up you'll lose the income you get from them. That'll teach them!
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, much better for the brand to put the screws to the franchisee during the worst economic climate of the past couple decades, so when the property manager goes belly up you'll lose the income you get from them. That'll teach them!
Don't know why you are upset but brands are supposed to ensure a certain customer experience.

If you order a couple of Double-Doubles from In-N-Out but the delivery guy brings you Big Macs, you'd be fine with it? Because, you know, we're in a recession.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:21 pm

Don't know why you are upset but brands are supposed to ensure a certain customer experience.

If you order a couple of Double-Doubles from In-N-Out but the delivery guy brings you Big Macs, you'd be fine with it? Because, you know, we're in a recession.
Water is water. For you analogy to fit, you'd be getting those In-N-Out burgers in McDonalds wrappers. The food would still be In-N-Out food.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:42 am

Don't know why you are upset but brands are supposed to ensure a certain customer experience
I'm not upset; I have no vested interest in the management of hotels. I was just responding to a comment in which someone stated that an operator should hold its franchisee to an exacting brand standard. And my point was that, in the greater context, there may be grounds on which to be more relaxed on some elements not core to the guest experience, if it helps to ensure the longer-term business continuity of the property and associated cash flow.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Well, to be fair, that analogy is more like you're checking in at a Waldorf Astoria and they bus you over to a Tru down the street.

We're talking about bottled water here. Bottled tap water, to be specific. The customer experience of me getting the water is far better than "sorry, you don't get water because the only water we have says 'Marriott' on it."
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:35 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The hotels located on Marriott Drive in Bakersfield are: Doubletree by Hilton, Courtyard by Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, Springhill Suites by Marriott, and Holiday Inn & Suites. (Have stayed at some of them, don't know how many are currently in operation. There are also one or two other hotels close by that are technically not on Marriott Drive but rather on Camino del Rio Ct.)
Interesting, I wonder if the Marriotts were there first and led to the street naming. Or maybe the Hiltons were reflagged from Marriott brands?

Originally Posted by mrow
I can counter balance this with the Marriott Baton Rouge, LA which is on 5500 Hilton Drive
I guess they are even now

If the water said "MARRIOTT" on it in huge letters on the front of the bottle, there might be a valid argument here. But it's in small print on the back, which most guests probably don't even read.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Yesterday in a Hampton Inn.

Location is adjacent a Holiday Inn.

The _Banking_Scot and mrow like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:36 am

In that hotel's defense, there seems to be a huge supply chain issue with the Hilton terry cloth at the moment. Through the primary distributor, there is a several month backlog for some of the items. We're all kind of scrambling just to ensure there's enough terry for our guests.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
In that hotel's defense, there seems to be a huge supply chain issue with the Hilton terry cloth at the moment. Through the primary distributor, there is a several month backlog for some of the items. We're all kind of scrambling just to ensure there's enough terry for our guests.
Completely agree. I'm in the textile industry and I know first-hand of the supply chain issues. COVID shut down mills across SE Asia Many that remained open were retasked with manufacturing textiles for the medical field.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
Yesterday in a Hampton Inn.

Location is adjacent a Holiday Inn.
Many properties use off-site commercial laundry facilities, so items probably just got mixed between accounts by the vendor.

Some more reading: https://www.hotelmanagement.net/oper...rations-safety
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I agree this chuckle is probably provided due a local owner with multiple brands in the portfolio.

Less likely but still possible is a good relationship between close competitors. I once worked at a hotel in Minneapolis that was literally connected to one of competitors across the street through the "skyway" system. The skyways connect buildings in Downtown with pedestrian bridges on the second floor so that people can avoid sub-zero winter weather.

During my years at the Front Desk, the Front Desk Managers of both hotels always supported each other in terms of operations. We knew if they had a room, they'd take our relocated guests (aka "walked" guests) and treat them well. And we'd do the same. Stuff like that.

I don't remember water being shared. I do, however, recall a time when their Front Desk Supervisor called late one night in a panic asking what type of key cards our readers used. Turns out, their last shipment was mislabeled and none of their blank keys would encode. We provided an unopened package of our keys and they worked. So, any late arrivals at our competitor that night were given room keys with our logo on them.
This post made me happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.