Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton doesn't keep its promises

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Hilton doesn't keep its promises - RESOLVED

Hilton is refusing to honor its "commitment" to provide Honors members with greater travel flexibility, including certificates when cancelling an Advanced Purchase reservation. Hilton's website states:

HILTON’S COMMITMENT TO YOU, OUR GUESTS, AS WE NAVIGATE THROUGH CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)

"If you are a Hilton Honors member and cancel an Advance Purchase rate, you may be eligible for a free night certificate for each cancelled night."

I have been promised these certificates multiple times via phone and email. Now, Hilton is refusing to keep its promise. If you believe Hilton should honor its written commitment and keep its promises to guests, let your voice be heard!

Hilton Honors Ambassador - can you help please?

Last edited by dkla; Sep 4, 2020 at 8:20 pm Reason: Issue resolved
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Welcome to FT first time poster.

I will highlight their policy for you:

"If you are a Hilton Honors member and cancel an Advance Purchase rate, you may be eligible for a free night certificate for each cancelled night."

Sort of like you may win the lottery if you buy a lottery ticket.

But it was great marketing.

I hope you at least got a refund of the amount you paid to Hilton, that is what you should be pushing for and what you are due.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Welcome to FT first time poster.

I will highlight their policy for you:

Sort of like you may win the lottery if you buy a lottery ticket.

But it was great marketing.

I hope you at least got a refund of the amount you paid to Hilton, that is what you should be pushing for and what you are due.
I am aware of what their policy says, and that they promised the certificates to me multiple times over the phone and via email. They specifically told me, repeatedly, that I will receive the certificates. So far, I have received no refund, no certificates, only broken promises.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dkla
I am aware of what their policy says, and that they promised the certificates to me multiple times over the phone and via email. They specifically told me, repeatedly, that I will receive the certificates. So far, I have received no refund, no certificates, only broken promises.

Is the rate designated "Advanced Purchase" ? I mean is that how the rate is formally referred to?

Having payment (full or part) taken in advance doesn't qualify for a voucher unless the rate is "Advanced Payment". It's got something to do with which entity grabs the money from your card: IHG or the hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In what way is "Hilton now refusing"? Has Hilton expressly declined to do so? If so, what is its stated reason?

If you were promised and Hilton did not follow through, sue in SCC. Forget the underlying terms and focus on the fact that Hilton promised. Or, put this behind you and move on.
richb3125 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Is the rate designated "Advanced Purchase" ? I mean is that how the rate is formally referred to?

Having payment (full or part) taken in advance doesn't qualify for a voucher unless the rate is "Advanced Payment". It's got something to do with which entity grabs the money from your card: IHG or the hotel.
Yes, it's definitely an "Advanced Purchase" rate. It's on my confirmation and they have acknowledged that.

Originally Posted by Often1
In what way is "Hilton now refusing"? Has Hilton expressly declined to do so? If so, what is its stated reason?

If you were promised and Hilton did not follow through, sue in SCC. Forget the underlying terms and focus on the fact that Hilton promised. Or, put this behind you and move on.
They expressly declined to do so. Primarily, they have said international reservations don't qualify. I don't see that stated anywhere in writing. However, I have already been promised the certificates multiple times by several employees by phone and email. Only to receive an email the next day that they aren't going to do so after all.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 4, 2020 at 8:55 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:15 am

I canceled an advance purchase reservation, but somehow the refund was never processed. A phone call and being nice to the agent got it processed in less than 5 minutes. If you are being nice and reasonable, I don't see how you would have much of an issue getting a refund at least. OP may have been overly greedy in the ask.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Primarily, they have said international reservations don't qualify..
I read this reported somewhere: the reason offered was HILTON takes the deposit for US hotels, but not for hotels elsewhere.

Oddly they offered me the voucher for a Dubai cancellation, only to get an apology because although an advanced payment had been taken, the rate wasn't "Advanced Purchase".

The offers a bit of a mess: one maybe they'd have been better not offering. But not worth losing sleep over, just get a refund
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

They have deposited the certificates to my account. It took a lot of work and follow-up. Glad this is resolved.
SPN Lifer and FLYGVA like this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have deposited the certificates to my account. It took a lot of work and follow-up. Glad this is resolved.
In which market did you book the AP rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.