Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton family hotels near nature? Looking for suggestions!

Hilton family hotels near nature? Looking for suggestions!

Old Sep 3, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I took a 10 day road trip a few years ago and stayed in 6 different places over 10 days. We flew into Denver and spent a couple of nights close to friends at a HGI. Then it was on the road, Three stops at various Hamptons and settling in the Park City Waldorf for four days. Stayed in the HGI in downtown Salt Lake that had been voted the best HGI. It was a great trip. I burned about 400K in points. I had already planned the route and spent about 2 hours with the Diamond Desk in making the reservations. This was our anniversary trip and the agent requested upgrades at every stop. We did not plan for a lot of miles each day. We would see something interesting and just stop.

If you can't find a place to settle, a road trip might be good. We had another planned for California this spring but, well, you know. I had work in the Bay Area and we were going to use this as a base of operation and do daily road trips in different directions. Maybe next year.
geoggirl likes this.
Old Sep 3, 20, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
My wife and I took a 10 day road trip a few years ago and stayed in 6 different places over 10 days. We flew into Denver and spent a couple of nights close to friends at a HGI. Then it was on the road, Three stops at various Hamptons and settling in the Park City Waldorf for four days. Stayed in the HGI in downtown Salt Lake that had been voted the best HGI. It was a great trip. I burned about 400K in points. I had already planned the route and spent about 2 hours with the Diamond Desk in making the reservations. This was our anniversary trip and the agent requested upgrades at every stop. We did not plan for a lot of miles each day. We would see something interesting and just stop.

If you can't find a place to settle, a road trip might be good. We had another planned for California this spring but, well, you know. I had work in the Bay Area and we were going to use this as a base of operation and do daily road trips in different directions. Maybe next year.
If you don't mind sharing and/or me hijacking I'd love to know where you stopped in Colorado - so many places to choose from we want to plan a trip next year but don't know where to begin (well, we know where to begin - DEN - since we've got UA vouchers to use, but after that haven't a clue).

And did you like the Waldorf Park City?
Old Sep 3, 20, 9:16 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
If you don't mind sharing and/or me hijacking I'd love to know where you stopped in Colorado - so many places to choose from we want to plan a trip next year but don't know where to begin (well, we know where to begin - DEN - since we've got UA vouchers to use, but after that haven't a clue).

The Waldorf was great. We were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. It had a full Viking kitchen and two floors. There were jetted tubs on both levels.

I remember Steamboat Springs and Green River, WY. There was a 3rd that escapes me. We avoided interstate highways and drove back roads. We avoided crossing mountains and stayed in valleys. Keep your tank full. There is some really desolate country. A lot of it is open range.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 3, 20, 9:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Kayenta, Arizona. VERY nice Hampton Inn (one of the tiny few Hamptons that have a restaurant).
Old Sep 4, 20, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta PM

In the western part of the state, the Grand Junction/Colorado National Monument area has a lot of cool red rock and a lot fewer tourists than Moab and the surprisingly under marketed Black Canyon of the Gunnison is well worth a detour on the way to Durango
wrp96 and geoggirl like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks Ink and Beachmouse, I'll have to start planning.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Lots of HH options in and around Palm Springs. Good jumping off point for Joshua Tree plus lots of other outdoors areas, both desert and mountains so you can go either way based on the weather. No idea which ones have pet fees but they have all brand levels represented there so I imagine something would work.
geoggirl likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post

I did a 7,100-mile road trip (Nevada, Utah, Wisconsin, South Dakota...) last summer using a ton of points. Debating road trip with multiple stops vs. one destination. Waldorf Park City was one of my last stops and it was amazing!
Old Sep 8, 20, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geoggirl View Post
Waldorf Park City was one of my last stops and it was amazing!
La Quinta near Palm Springs is a W=A...you might like it as well. It has spread out grounds with clusters of casitas around semi-private pools. Someone looking for a *little* bit of social distancing from the rest of the hotel guests might prefer this kind of layout. On our stays there, we've often been the only people in our small pool. There's also a large resort pool which had more people, a poolside bar, etc.

Of course it also has a central lodge along with all of the amenities you'd want from a W=A. It's on our list of favorite U.S. Hiltons -one of the places we like to go when we have the annual free night certificates.

No idea what the pet situation is though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 11:34 am

Programs: AAGld1MM, DL SM, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis, ALL Slv
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
La Quinta near Palm Springs is a W=A...you might like it as well.

No idea what the pet situation is though.
La Quinta is one of my favorites places as well. Have been lucky enough to stay for work/conferences several times. And they have a whole pet friendly program.

https://www.laquintaresort.com/rooms...iendly-resort/
pinniped likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 12:23 pm
Community Director

Even closer to Zion is Springdale, UT. Two Hilton properties there.
Who is familiar with the Cliffrose Springdale, a Curio Collection? What did you think?
Old Sep 10, 20, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In the western part of the state, the Grand Junction/Colorado National Monument area has a lot of cool red rock and a lot fewer tourists than Moab and the surprisingly under marketed Black Canyon of the Gunnison is well worth a detour on the way to Durango
I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Rifle, CO during a roadtrip in July. While the property itself and location were fine, the area seemed well worthwhile of several days. I swam in the Rifle reservoir, and the scenery there was simply amazing. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to explore the falls.
Old Sep 10, 20, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Hilton El Conquistador in Oro Valley, Arizona accommodates people with dogs (at least in the villas) but not sure about size!

Close to Catalina State Park (10 minutes) and the Pusch Ridge Wilderness on Mount Lemmon (adjacent Catalina State Park). Saguaro National Park fairly close (30-45 minutes depending on traffic and which section you go to. Mount Lemmon is great as it has lots of hiking trails at elevations from desert to spruce-fir forest at the top over 10000 feet. Lots of other places close by (Madera Canyon) that birders are enamored with.

Not sure what will be open by then (COVID issues in Arizona) but we have been going here since they reflagged from Sheraton quite a few years ago and enjoy both the sprawling grounds with desert and irrigated landscaping that have lots of their own nature (Gambel's quail, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, warblers, goldfinches, thrashers, cactus wrens, lizards, rattlesnakes (western diamondback), javelina, bobcat, hairy mygalomorphs (tarantulas to some) etc.
cblaisd likes this.

Search this Thread