Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookie Returns!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookie Returns!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
Absolutely agree with you here! Someone from Hilton (as DT is owned by Hilton) needs to explain why DTs have fallen into such disrepair. It's a brand that, for whatever reason, has fallen by the wayside. Maybe Hilton's newer brands were designed to replace DTs?? Who knows? I know I don't.

You assume that the $99 Hampton Inn is, indeed, updated or newer or cleaner than the DT. In remote areas, that's not that case. The Hamptons are in the same or worse conditions than the DT. Been there, done that, had that experience. :-) And to be fair, if there's a newer Hampton, I'll stay there. If the location has an older DT nearby, I'll walk over and get some cookies. Being Diamond does have its benefits. :-) (And as part of full disclosure, my siblings and I are cookie monsters. :-)
No worries. But you're sounding closer to me in my own choice matrix:

Rundown DT vs. newer Hampton: Hampton wins.
Rundown DT vs. newer Holiday Inn Express: HIE wins.
Newer DT vs: newer Hampton: Cheaper one or more convenient one wins.
Rundown DT vs. rundown Hampton: Find another option.

...but of course none of these depend specifically on the 15-cent cookie to sway my decision.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
No worries. But you're sounding closer to me in my own choice matrix:

Rundown DT vs. newer Hampton: Hampton wins.
Rundown DT vs. newer Holiday Inn Express: HIE wins.
Newer DT vs: newer Hampton: Cheaper one or more convenient one wins.
Rundown DT vs. rundown Hampton: Find another option.

...but of course none of these depend specifically on the 15-cent cookie to sway my decision.
There are some new DTs, like Greeley, CO.

It seems like ongoing strategy is to downgrade certain Hilton brand hotels to DT. Latest being Hilton Mesa downgrading to DT.

I don't think the DT brand is going anywhere and it serves a key place in the Hilton brand portfolio to enable Hilton to keep full service hotels under its network that should probably not be under its network anymore.

We have also seen things like that ES near downtown SLC convert to DT for some unknown reason (maybe to get out of giving free breakfast)? I think a number of older atrium ES properties are actually in worse shape than any DT I've been to.

Beyond the consistent (?) cookie I have found DT's beds to be pretty consistent- comfortable. Also the DT is consistent in having the two compartment trash can that is half recycle half trash. I guess that is about where the consistency stops. DT brand has been confused for years. Perhaps the most confused period was in the early 00's when Hilton converted various 1970's exterior corridor Red Lions to DTs.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
For DT, I disagree. Some remote towns have limited options for hotels. If there's a DT versus a Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or Motel 6, I'm going to the DT (assuming it's not outdated :-).

Evanston, my recent visit, has limited hotel options. A "better" hotel is in downtown-ish Evanston, but too far inland and definitely not accessible to the freeway. In a past trip to a remote area of Indiana, there was nothing! Except a Days Inn (think 1980's), Comfort Inn, and Bay-something Suites. I opted for another town 20 miles further away because they had a 4-year old, new build Hampton Inn.

What makes the DT cookie so good? When prepared correctly (not overcooked or dried-out), that whisk of cinnamon in the warm chocolate chip cookie accompanied with an ice cold (almost frozen) glass of non-fat milk is (for me) pure decadence. :-)
Where is the remote town that has a DT, Comfort Inn, HIX, Motel 6, and nothing else? That is one odd remote town. I would expect a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden in such town.

To be fair there are many very good HIX properties- look for the ones with 4.5 ratings on Trip Advisor. HIX is also somewhat active in replacing older perhaps late 90's properties with new builds nearby as recently noted in Bend, OR and Elko, NV and Medford (South), OR. There are also some pretty good Comfort Inn properties again look for the 4-4.5 ratings.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I stayed at a DoubleTree north of Chicago (in Evanston) this past weekend and it was my first DoubleTree since last year. Apparently, they had discontinued providing the cookies during the pandemic; upon check-in and otherwise - they were gone. When I ran into the General Manager (GM) on the way to my room and lamented that I was disappointed the cookies had been discontinued (why else would I stay at a DoubleTree?), he mentioned that the cookies were returning the coming Monday (I arrived on a Friday). He then said he would have some cookies sent to my room. I left the hotel to run some errands and when I returned, two tins were waiting for me in my room. Happy to have the cookies back! :-) I love the DoubleTree cookie.

However, the GM also indicated that the cookies would be provided only if they are requested by the guest; they would not be offered upon check-in. Hence, the cookies are available, but as a consequence of the pandemic, you'll have to ask for them.
Off topic, what kind of breakfast are they provided for gold and diamond at that DT currently ? It is actually at Skokie not Evanston
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Off topic, what kind of breakfast are they provided for gold and diamond at that DT currently ? It is actually at Skokie not Evanston
Yes, you are correct: That DT is in Skokie (across from the Old Orchard Mall). In a former life, I lived where Evanston, Skokie, and Wilmette merged/converged so I (incorrectly) saw the area around that DoubleTree as Evanston. (I lived in Evanston.)

I can't comment on the breakfast at that DT. I don't know what they offered or if they offered anything at all. After breakfast options went sideways at the hotels as a consequence of the pandemic, I no longer bother with any of it.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

I can't comment on the breakfast at that DT. I don't know what they offered or if they offered anything at all. After breakfast options went sideways at the hotels as a consequence of the pandemic, I no longer bother with any of it.
i asked because the DT by Arlington Heights currently serve full breakfast (cook to order not buffet) in their restaurant for gold and diamond currently, every property do things differently for breakfast right now, not all of them are bad, just like ES Rosemont serve cook to order breakfast as well vs ES downtown chicago (state st) is grab and go
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.