Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond Status - Reservation Cancelled by Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Status - Reservation Cancelled by Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Question Diamond Status - Reservation Cancelled by Hotel

Hilton cancelled my reservation because they accepted a group reservation.
The reservation is a few weeks out, but as a Diamond member I didn't think this was possible.

No compensation because I wasn't "walked".
I paid the cash rate.

Any thoughts?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:31 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Sean54
The reservation is a few weeks out, but as a Diamond member I didn't think this was possible.

I paid the cash rate.

Any thoughts?
Hi Sean54, we can look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your name, Hilton Honors # and reservation details.

Thank you,
Hilton Honors Ambassador
Kacee, zeer0, sebseb and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Had the same happen to me for a July 1st reservation, as a group demanded there be no people in the hotel not associated with the group, for Covid reasons. The group was a youth soccer tournament. They gave me a personal phone call, and recommended two other hotels, with no price match, or any other considerations. But it didn't seem right, particularly as it was only about 10 days in advance.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Had the same happen to me for a July 1st reservation, as a group demanded there be no people in the hotel not associated with the group, for Covid reasons.
What a joke. What about the hotel employees? They are in the hotel (maybe for more hours than you if you were doing a quick one night stay in late at night out early the next morning)...

Tough to believe a hotel would agree to terms like that and boot other confirmed guests. Perhaps there were only 5 other confirmed guests to boot and the soccer group wanted 30-40 rooms or something. That hotel will be really screwed if the group soccer tournament cancels.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Sean54

I paid the cash rate.

Any thoughts?
What is the name of the property?

There may well be others here who have contacts at the property. Can't help you without that information.
DC9, :D!, BearX220 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'm sure many of us would like to know which property we can't depend on to keep a reservation because they get a better offer. (What happens if you try to use the Diamond Guarantee to get the reservation back?)
DC9 and DiverDave like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
What a joke. What about the hotel employees? They are in the hotel (maybe for more hours than you if you were doing a quick one night stay in late at night out early the next morning)...

Tough to believe a hotel would agree to terms like that and boot other confirmed guests. Perhaps there were only 5 other confirmed guests to boot and the soccer group wanted 30-40 rooms or something. That hotel will be really screwed if the group soccer tournament cancels.
Another data point. I was at an Embassy Suites yesterday (not a guest... dropping something off) and the hotel was business as usual except it was completely blocked out for a youth tennis tournament. Signs on the door indicated that without tennis credentials you'll be refused entry to the building. This is ordinarily an extremely busy ES with heavy business traffic. Clearly Hilton corporate is allowing these sort of arrangements.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:51 am

Hotel Buyouts

Originally Posted by sethb
I'm sure many of us would like to know which property we can't depend on to keep a reservation because they get a better offer. (What happens if you try to use the Diamond Guarantee to get the reservation back?)
Something similar is happening several properties. It happened a month ago when the Waldorf Orlando accepted a buyout offer through mid October from the NBA. Whether or not Hilton likes these arrangements, which mean cancelling reservations made in advance, is more or less irrelevant. They don't own the hotels. Even in the small percentage of cases where they manager the hotel (e.g. the Waldorf Orlando), they act as agents of the owners and have to do whatever is in their best interest. Yes, it will annoy guests. But - even this year - Hilton will 100 million+ of those. They have far fewer than 1,000 owners and independent management companies. Guess which group's interests will win out if there's a need to choose.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Something similar is happening several properties. It happened a month ago when the Waldorf Orlando accepted a buyout offer through mid October from the NBA. Whether or not Hilton likes these arrangements, which mean cancelling reservations made in advance, is more or less irrelevant. They don't own the hotels. Even in the small percentage of cases where they manager the hotel (e.g. the Waldorf Orlando), they act as agents of the owners and have to do whatever is in their best interest. Yes, it will annoy guests. But - even this year - Hilton will 100 million+ of those. They have far fewer than 1,000 owners and independent management companies. Guess which group's interests will win out if there's a need to choose.
I don't blame the hotels for accepting these block bookings, but they should be required to offer a reservation at another property for those dates.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I would be interested to know if the OP received any assistance.......

David
DC9 and sebseb like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I don't blame the hotels for accepting these block bookings, but they should be required to offer a reservation at another property for those dates.
If Hilton won't honor the reservation, I wonder if the American Express guaranty will apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.