Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Failure to provide free night certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

I had a pre-paid reservation at a fairly good rate, so when I had to cancel it (I couldn't travel there, and the hotel was closed anyway) I requested free night certificates rather than a refund. It took a while, and I queried several times as they missed deadlines. Each time, I was assured that the certificates would be forthcoming.

Then they refunded my cost. I am not pleased with this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BAEC Gold
Its good to hear you have received something at least. I still haven't had a refund/certificate/voucher at all from a Doubletree booking that was cancelled over 4 months ago.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The process is not transparent at all, in which country did you have a reservation? The policy only covers US, Canada and Mexico.

Even if you are eligible based on that, they make GA cases which go to the hotel who initiate a refund and therefore... no voucher.

Moreover; the exact letter of the rules say pre-paid rate, it does not say exactly AP.

It would be good if HH Ambassador would post the exact criteria for a free night advance purchase voucher.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hugolover
The process is not transparent at all, in which country did you have a reservation? The policy only covers US, Canada and Mexico.

Even if you are eligible based on that, they make GA cases which go to the hotel who initiate a refund and therefore... no voucher.

Moreover; the exact letter of the rules say pre-paid rate, it does not say exactly AP.

It would be good if HH Ambassador would post the exact criteria for a free night advance purchase voucher.
Thanks. It was in the UK so I guess I won't get the certificates.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is the case that it only covers three countries then I don’t know why they can’t write it only covers US, CA and MX. It’s not like it’s a long list.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sethb
Thanks. It was in the UK so I guess I won't get the certificates.

The certificate option covers any hotels (mine was Dubai), but the conditions for entitlement are very specific and not spelled out in the website flim-flam.

The reservation must be Advanced Purchase, and carry that label. A reservation where a payment is taken in advance by the hotel doesn't count: Hilton Towers is not fully in control of those reservations, or your money, and for cancelled reservations of that type you will (eventually) get a refund from the hotel.

If you qualify, Hilton is happy to give you a certificate because it keeps your money, giving you standard reward night in return. Essentially you have bought reward points.

The certificate is for a standard room, regardless of the room originally booked. Status members are OK here, as the normal upgrades apply.

HOWEVER, the crunch is that the certificate is specific to the Hilton brand originally booked. You will not be able to blag a Waldorf against a Garden Inn. But there are HGIs and $$HGIs, Hilton and HILTONS, so you could still come out a winner.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last part is not the case. It’s not specific to the brand no matter what you were told. Are you in possession of one to tell us how they work?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
The last part is not the case. It’s not specific to the brand no matter what you were told. Are you in possession of one to tell us how they work?
I can confirm it is not the case. I had a Hilton booked AP and got a certificate and used it for the WA in the Maldives.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The certificate option covers any hotels (mine was Dubai), but the conditions for entitlement are very specific and not spelled out in the website flim-flam.

The reservation must be Advanced Purchase, and carry that label. A reservation where a payment is taken in advance by the hotel doesn't count: Hilton Towers is not fully in control of those reservations, or your money, and for cancelled reservations of that type you will (eventually) get a refund from the hotel.

If you qualify, Hilton is happy to give you a certificate because it keeps your money, giving you standard reward night in return. Essentially you have bought reward points.

The certificate is for a standard room, regardless of the room originally booked. Status members are OK here, as the normal upgrades apply.

HOWEVER, the crunch is that the certificate is specific to the Hilton brand originally booked. You will not be able to blag a Waldorf against a Garden Inn. But there are HGIs and $$HGIs, Hilton and HILTONS, so you could still come out a winner.
Do you have access to the actual requirements?

Mine said the Rate Information was "HONORS STAY LONGER". Payment in full was taken in advance and it was specified as non-refundable.

And I don't really mind if it's limited to DoubleTree; the stays I planned to use the certificates for are at a DoubleTree (which generally has considerably higher rates than what I paid).
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, only in the US, Canada and Mexico do Hilton hold the AP money before it's sent to the hotel. With very few hotels under $100 only in the most rare of cases will there be a loss for Hilton in paying for the redemption vs the money they keep onto. That's why the same brand requirement is incorrect.

Because occupancy is so low right now, its another reason they allow weekend certificates to be used midweek because the reimbursement cost will be next to nothing in nearly all cases.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sethb
Do you have access to the actual requirements?

Mine said the Rate Information was "HONORS STAY LONGER". Payment in full was taken in advance and it was specified as non-refundable.

And I don't really mind if it's limited to DoubleTree; the stays I planned to use the certificates for are at a DoubleTree (which generally has considerably higher rates than what I paid).
I checked my original reservation for you, it was HONORS EARLY SAVER. And was finally rejected as a candidate for the certificate. To get the cert your reservation must be very specifically ADVANCED PURCHASE (AP).

My understanding is the AP rate means you pay for the full stay upfront to Hilton, who later pass the amount on to the hotel (less whatever Hilton is entitled to); while for other rates requiring payment in advance (like ours), the hotel itself will take as deposit a hefty chunk from your card, in part to verify the card.

I have no idea if AP is available only in N America, or if the AP internal payment arrangement is restricted to N America. I can only report my Dubai experience.

Where Hilton holds the cash, in the AP case, it can easily refund the money, or hang on to it and issue a certificate.

Where the hotel has taken the deposit, Hilton has to persuade the hotel to put the cash back onto your card OR give you some sort of voucher to allow you to stay another time at that specific location.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 29, 2020 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:06 pm

deleted

error post

Last edited by writetorich; Aug 10, 2020 at 12:09 pm Reason: error post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.