Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is it like to stay at a Hilton Hotel after lockdown?

What is it like to stay at a Hilton Hotel after lockdown?

Old Jun 25, 20, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United Premier 1K
Hilton Clearwater

Just finished a 5 night stay at the Hilton Clearwater.

No stickers anywhere. No room service cleaning, as they are not allowing people to go into a room that is occupied. You can call down for towels, and the service was actually quick. the maximum amount of people in the elevator was supposed 2 be two people, but not many people actually followed those rules.
Old Jun 25, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.764MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Finished a 7 night stay at the Hilton Waterfront in Huntington Beach CA on Monday 6/22.

No stickers on any rooms on 6/15, but some began to appear on the following days. There were multiple signs that my room had not been deep cleaned.

Hardly any guests wearing masks, and no signs about a limit of people in the elevator. A couple of times I asked folks to take the next car and they looked astonished, but they did.

Hotel is largely doing a good job. Restaurant is open with less seating and a limited paper menu. Valet parking has been restored (not great IMO as that's people in your car), but bellmen are still gone. Bellmen aren't much of a touch point, and bellcarts are left all over the hotel in their absence.

No housekeeping, but requested items are delivered promptly to the room.

I give them a passing score, but wish they would post signs for hotel guests to wear masks per California directives.
Old Jun 27, 20, 6:25 pm

3 Hilton stays recently.

Embassy Suites Hot Springs Arkansas - No noticeable differences in cleaning standards. They had markings on the ground a check in that were 6 feet apart, no plexiglass at checkin as they didn't really have a desk instead multiple podiums for checkin. No welcome amenity or water on check in. Asked and told they weren't doing it but the rep walked over to the gift shop where they were selling water and grabbed me 2. Don't think the rep was wearing a mask but honestly don't remember. Don't think we saw a single other person wearing masks in our 3 days other than the staff serving breakfast. Evening reception included drink vouchers. As diamond we were given 9 and didn't use one. They had bags of cheese its. Breakfast included watery scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon or sausage depending on the day. Second day had biscuits and gravy as well. Breakfast was served to you by someone behind a plexiglass counter. They also had a cold to go that included muffins or bagels with granola bar.

Hampton Inn Pampa Texas - No noticeable differences in cleaning standards. Plexiglass at check-in. No welcome water or snacks and when asked they said they weren't doing that due to COVID-19. We asked about breakfast and were told grab and go bags. In the morning the grab and go bag was a paper bag with a small water and single granola bar.

Hampton Inn Alamosa Colorado - Best we saw. Walked in and smelled cleaning supplies. Plexiglass at check-in. Signs all over the place. Were provided waters and snacks at check-in without asking. Room had the seals, and remote wrappers. Room smelled clean. Breakfast was a fairly normal spread for Hampton Inn, but an employee grabbed what you wanted, my wife enjoys the smoothies.

Generally I think hotels took a financial hit and are using the current opportunity to cut costs. The decreases in services are not correlated with a commitment to guest safety. For example the Hampton Inn Alamosa managed to have the best appearance and offered no real change in services.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:33 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I saw one of those stickers on the room door at my DoubleTree on Sunday. The remotes were similarly marked. In addition, muffin in a bag instead of breakfast, and no lounge. However, the cookie was back.

I just checked in for my Hilton stay at what is supposed to be a full service California Hilton. No lounge and no coupons for a beer at the bar because the bar is closed. The restaurants are closed. No breakfast and no muffin in a bag. No upgrades as as only floors 3-6 in use in the 12 story property. No coffee in lobby and coffee machines removed from rooms. Maid service after 3 days. Good thing it was cheap.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
I saw one of those stickers on the room door at my DoubleTree on Sunday. The remotes were similarly marked. In addition, muffin in a bag instead of breakfast, and no lounge. However, the cookie was back.

I just checked in for my Hilton stay at what is supposed to be a full service California Hilton. No lounge and no coupons for a beer at the bar because the bar is closed. The restaurants are closed. No breakfast and no muffin in a bag. No upgrades as as only floors 3-6 in use in the 12 story property. No coffee in lobby and coffee machines removed from rooms. Maid service after 3 days. Good thing it was cheap.
Could you please name these two properties?

David
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:38 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Could you please name these two properties?

David
DoubleTree BNA Airport, Nashville. One of my favorite DT's.

The Hilton? I would rather not. I will be here several days and there are few enough people staying that it would be easy to identify me. Maybe after I check out. If you are going to CA call ahead for the property in which you are interested. As for me, I'm here for work and the price was over $100 off what I have been paying on previous trips.. For a $100 a night I can buy breakfast and have my own amenities. .
cawhite and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DoubleTree BNA Airport, Nashville. One of my favorite DT's.

The Hilton? I would rather not. I will be here several days and there are few enough people staying that it would be easy to identify me. Maybe after I check out. If you are going to CA call ahead for the property in which you are interested. As for me, I'm here for work and the price was over $100 off what I have been paying on previous trips.. For a $100 a night I can buy breakfast and have my own amenities. .
Understood. Will look forward to any updates if it gets better (or worse) and hopefully a name when your stay is complete.

David
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:25 am

Programs: All
NYC Hotels and Covid

https://nypost.com/2020/06/29/high-e...anging-sheets/
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Similar story at HGI Arcadia (Los Angeles). No breakfast at all, not even prepackaged. All facilities are closed. Didn't ask about room upgrade and none was offered for Diamond. The parking lot was full, seems like high occupancy. No safety sticker anywhere. Mask adherent is good.

Keurig (coffee) machine still in room.
Old Jul 4, 20, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Similar story at HGI Arcadia (Los Angeles). No breakfast at all, not even prepackaged. All facilities are closed. Didn't ask about room upgrade and none was offered for Diamond. The parking lot was full, seems like high occupancy. No safety sticker anywhere. Mask adherent is good.

Keurig (coffee) machine still in room.
Was the room cheap at least?

David
Old Jul 4, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor

Given we are supposed to be distancing from others in an effort to prevent Coronavirus, it seems like it would make more sense to spread people out across more of the hotel vs. squeezing the few people into the hotel onto 33% of the floors available.

Given California has started to re-close businesses due to the cases going out of control there (despite strict measures to contain it during March/April/May and widespread business closures), it appears this is how it is going to be in California all summer if not longer.

Thing is the folks in California seem to be done with this virus and want to go about their lives again. Traffic is way up around Sacramento again, stores are busy. Record crowds at Lake Tahoe for the 4th of July (sorry Hilton still has no properties anywhere around Lake Tahoe) and the bars are packed up there and open. Party on?

Hotels are in a tough spot. Try to go back to normal but that costs money and occupancy/rates are still down so how do you pay for all that overhead? No gatherings/big groups which were a big chunk of revenue for a full service hotel. Fewer business travelers due to corporate travel restrictions meaning fewer people paying those higher Monday-Thursday night rack rates. Full service hotels may not come back to being full service anytime soon.
Old Jul 4, 20, 9:09 pm

Here is the final report. I checked out this morning. Hilton Concord, California.

I like this hotel. I have stayed here several times, but the California Coronavirus rules make it real hard for the hotel.

First, I was told room would be serviced every three days. In reality, it got a quick go over every day except one on the five night stay. I had fresh towels every day.

I rarely saw any other guests. The place was nearly deserted. There are two self parking lots and one was completely closed. The open one was never close to full and half the vehicles were industrial service trucks. There was still a sign for valet parking but I saw no attendant for the entire stay. The front desk staff was very nice as they struggled with the reduced service. When I checked in I was told specifically that they were not a full service hotel because of the rules.

I asked about breakfast and a restaurant when I checked in and I was told there were restaurants open in the area and to go look for something. There were restaurants open if you wanted carry out or reduced capacity patio dining. Most of the usual drive through places had long lines. The carry out I used, Panera across the street, was not busy. Grocery stores are open, but without the ability to heat water or a microwave, in room fixings were not practical.

Bottom line, without no upgrade, no on site food and other amenities, this was the same as any other budget hotel, except with the very good Hilton bedding. Even the low end properties in the Hilton chain are passing out bag breakfast. I suspect a lot of the problem is the California rules. There are likely so difficult as to be impossible. The place where I was working said it was nearly impossible to meet the rules and keep the essential business open.

This is an unusual time for this area. The streets of the usually busy town were never crowded and at times seem deserted. Many people remain at home and sheltered in place as the places they worked are still not open.
Old Jul 4, 20, 9:36 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Even the low end properties in the Hilton chain are passing out bag breakfast. I suspect a lot of the problem is the California rules. There are likely so difficult as to be impossible. The place where I was working said it was nearly impossible to meet the rules and keep the essential business open.

This is an unusual time for this area. The streets of the usually busy town were never crowded and at times seem deserted. Many people remain at home and sheltered in place as the places they worked are still not open.
And that includes low end properties under Hilton brands in CA, too, who are passing out bag breakfast or having coffee in the lobby.

I am no fan of CA rules and am not about to make any excuses for its rules or how it does things. However, I am afraid in this case hotels may be using "CA Rules" as an excuse for cutting services and amenities when it is really the hotels just flat out wanting to save money.

If occupancy is that low they simply can't afford to offer the amenities. The revenue coming in just won't cover the wages. I wonder how it works at Hilton Sacramento where they contract out food and beverage operations to a subcontractor. At this rate we are going to be seeing a ton of new Ramadas and Clarions if something doesn't change here.
Old Jul 4, 20, 11:59 pm

Grocery stores are open, but without the ability to heat water or a microwave, in room fixings were not practical.
This reminds me of another point. It's a clear advantage in the current circumstance to have a fridge and microwave in your room for cooking / reheating food. This is another reason for me to avoid "full service" hotels right now (which apparently aren't FS any more anyway).

I stayed at 3 hotels/motels this week, all were limited service and close to full judging by the full lots. I think the Hyatt experience thread had a summary: limited service hotels aren't that different after Covid, but FS city hotel experience has changed drastically - from the ghost town-like environment to most service not available.

I think limited service hotels near nature destinations are going well these days.
Old Jul 5, 20, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Was the room cheap at least?

David
$67 a night from OTA. Hilton.com wanted more. Wasn't a public rate though so couldn't get BRG.

Search this Thread