Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Exec Lounge replaced by One Drink Voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In what I feel will be the start of a trend, a DT with a lounge in Europe replaced the Lounge benefit for eligible Members and those in Exec Rooms and Suites with a voucher for a drink and a snack. They proudly informed that Hilton approve of this and its within the brand standard. I raised this with management at the property but they would not budge on an additional voucher, even for a soft drink or tea/coffee.

The lounge was previously open from 7AM to 11PM every day. The bar and restaurant are fully operational and fully staffed.

Exec Rooms and Suites were still for sale. With a min 50 EUR upsell for Exec rooms. No mention to guests during booking the lounge is closed.

Choose carefully your coffee at 11AM or a Coke at 3PM! Alcohol was limited to basic beer and wine only, despite the lounge previously stocking the usual spirits.

The excuse is of course, Coronavirus. I think we will see a lot of this year. No upgrade=Corona. Reduced housekeeping=Corona. This will be the catch-all for every service cut in 2020 no matter if local law doesn't prohibit a practice.

Closing lounges is nothing new, it's been happening for years on my travels. Refurbishments, low occupancy, renting out for events. But in every case the lounge was moved; it was at the bar at the usual hours and offer. Never has lounge access been replaced with one voucher.

If I were a hotel manager, I would genuflect before every guest and thank them profusely for coming back. They desperately need our business and I get the impression that still, a lot of management just don't get it.

I strongly suggest if you're intending to travel over the next 6 months you reach out to every hotel and ask in detail if/how the service has been reduced.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:15 pm

If this is a real situation, let me ask whether this DT is providing free breakfast to Hilton elites?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puchong
If this is a real situation, let me ask whether this DT is providing free breakfast to Hilton elites?
Its real. Breakfast is provided, yes. Elites always had a choice between the lounge and the restaurant.

The issue is the closing of the lounge and the substitute is a voucher for one drink and a snack. I did not realise there could be a misunderstanding that I was claiming that breakfast was no longer offered to eligible guests or formed part of the voucher and snack.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
A service cut is always disappointing. In the US, numerous Hilton and DT properties have no executive lounge at all. Some others the executive lounge only provides water/coffee and not alcohol (maybe not even soda).

So if you take this property and compare it to many US properties they have basically just eliminated the lounge from the picture but still give you a free drink coupon to soften the fact that the lounge has been closed.

Since the lounge is not a brand standard requirement I think they are actually doing more than they have to by even giving out the drink voucher.

I guess my point here is they at least replaced the lounge with a voucher. In the US they'd close the lounge and tell us to go pound sand if we don't like it.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by hugolover
The excuse is of course, Coronavirus. I think we will see a lot of this year. No upgrade=Corona. Reduced housekeeping=Corona. This will be the catch-all for every service cut in 2020 no matter if local law doesn't prohibit a practice.
That is similar to the airlines. No alcohol=Corona. No pillows=Corona. No hot meals=Corona. ...
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
DT can take away a lounge, alcohol, etc

But the day they come for my unlimited free Doubletree cookies will be the last day I ever stay at a DT.
NoY, Zurich, fotographer and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I sense that the days of having status with any airline/hotel/car rental...and actually getting something of value from it.. are starting to become a decent fond memory
BigFishDave, dlaue and hotel_user like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
DT can take away a lounge, alcohol, etc

But the day they come for my unlimited free Doubletree cookies will be the last day I ever stay at a DT.
Cookies were unavailable to due Corona!
Winniesbestfriend likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
What’s the name of this hotel? So that we can avoid this one!
BigFishDave and SPLP007 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
As has been said, many Hiltons and almost every DT is the US are lounge-less. And many of those that are nominally open are closed on weekends. Some offer a drink and snack voucher when the lounge is closed, some offer nothing, so consider yourself lucky.

What I find unconscionable is the lack of a welcome cookie. That is just cheap. Is that now standard practice at DTs?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by hugolover
In what I feel will be the start of a trend, a DT with a lounge in Europe replaced the Lounge benefit for eligible Members and those in Exec Rooms and Suites with a voucher for a drink and a snack. They proudly informed that Hilton approve of this and its within the brand standard. I raised this with management at the property but they would not budge on an additional voucher, even for a soft drink or tea/coffee.

The lounge was previously open from 7AM to 11PM every day. The bar and restaurant are fully operational and fully staffed.

Exec Rooms and Suites were still for sale. With a min 50 EUR upsell for Exec rooms. No mention to guests during booking the lounge is closed.

Choose carefully your coffee at 11AM or a Coke at 3PM! Alcohol was limited to basic beer and wine only, despite the lounge previously stocking the usual spirits.

Closing lounges is nothing new, it's been happening for years on my travels. Refurbishments, low occupancy, renting out for events. But in every case the lounge was moved; it was at the bar at the usual hours and offer. Never has lounge access been replaced with one voucher.

If I were a hotel manager, I would genuflect before every guest and thank them profusely for coming back. They desperately need our business and I get the impression that still, a lot of management just don't get it.

I strongly suggest if you're intending to travel over the next 6 months you reach out to every hotel and ask in detail if/how the service has been reduced.
I am having a similar experience. Booked into the Hilton The Hague and was told by email that diamond guests receive a voucher for 1 drink and a snack that can be used in the room, restaurant or Starbucks to substitute the lounge offerings. Their lounge is usually pretty good (4 hours long happy hour and multiple snacks, not to mention the sunny lounge terrace). The hotel is at the same time selling executive rooms (that are exactly the same as standard rooms except for a bathrobe and slippers) for 65EUR more than a standard room? Our stay is in a few days time so will most probably cancel and book elsewhere, most hotels give breakfast for free now anyway under some sort of promotion...
I get it that these are difficult times for everyone but many hotels never felt bad either selling overpriced rooms when demand was high... I think they should at least try to keep their loyal guests happy, especially when there is no real incentive (except points) to choose a Hilton property over another chain (our diamond status has been extended anyway).
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, this was the DoubleTree Warsaw, a hotel that used to have a very good lounge with excellent evening food and drinks. They're selling all room types proudly advertising an Exec Lounge.

The Hilton Warsaw offers Diamond and Suite (Exec Rooms are pulled from sale) guests drinks and small snacks at the bar during the regular hours which means soft drinks during the day and the alcoholic drinks at night. The snack was served in a paper bag in boxes but the drinks were the same.

On Twitter, Hilton have confirmed that its hotel discretion to close the lounge and replace it with a voucher for one drink and one snack, meaning the brand standard really has changed for EMEA. They don't seem at all bothered the hotel is conning guests into booking Exec Rooms and Suites with no lounge available and no warning during the booking process.
simonsmith and Sisosig like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:36 pm

Hi Hugolover,

Thanks for this info, when we from the UK are allowed to travel back to Poland, unless this changes I will be giving this Hotel a miss.

Have been there many times , due to the excellent lounge. I had stays booked for April and when I cancelled on the Hilton website I heard nothing.
I contacted Hilton and received a reply from the DT stating the following.Thank you for contacting us via Hilton Guest Assistance Application.

Please be kindly informed that due to global pandemic COVID-19 and the latest Coucil of Ministers' decree, we have 180 days to proces the refund. As our property is temporary closed, we are offering voucher for a stay at our property valid till the end of 2020 as that is the best and the quickest option to make sure our guests are satisfied.

Please take into consideration this offer and please contact me if you still prefer to receive the refund within next 180 days.

Looks like I be asking for a refund ans stay in Warsaw.

Thanks

Basset
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Basset, to my knowledge this is the only Hilton hotel in Poland which has done this with its lounge. Krakow & Wroclaw are open, both DoubleTree. Warsaw (Hilton) Gryzbowska is offering the lounge benefit at the bar, though the food side is reduced.

Perhaps the rates will have gone down since you made your Advance Purchase booking and even if you considered coming back you might save money booking the fully flex rates now on offer. You might try the Hilton form for Covid refunds on the website when you choose Contact Us.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, IHG, Wyndham, Jet Blue
Originally Posted by puchong
Actually I did not receive breakfast at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront. You could come get a granola bar and a beverage at the front desk (all guests). I had hoped status would allow for room service breakfast but they had no interest in that.

Additionally, no lounge (or voucher as OP mentioned), no cleaning, no valet, no bellmen, pools closed, and restaurant closed. I think this is going to be a tough year for anyone expecting their status to come through with the amenities of that level

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.