Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Home2 Suites by Hilton KCI Airport {US-MO}

Home2 Suites by Hilton KCI Airport {US-MO}

Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
Arrow Home2 Suites by Hilton KCI Airport {US-MO}

hello all,

i just checked out of the home 2 suites at KCI- Kansas City airport, yesterday Sunday June 14, 2020, and they tried to charge me a Merchant Processing Fee, their fee that they pay to use Credit Cards with, now the catch is, they will not let one check in with cash. I think this is highly un ethical and borderine illegal... Has anyone else experienced this? Also, they do not offer any bottled water as a Diamond gift, overall was a very bad stay.

P.S. on the subject of benefits,In My own opinion, I think that these hotel and airline companies should honor their beneifts during this time, as when i wanted to stay at a 200 dollar a night hotel , and i only wanted to pay 150 dollars i told them i do not need maid service, etc.., they told me it was 200 dollars take it or leave it, i hope that this example sheds some light, so instead of breakfast they should be offering points etc...etc...

thank you,
kc tigers.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kctigers
i just checked out of the home 2 suites at KCI- Kansas City airport, yesterday Sunday June 14, 2020, and they tried to charge me a Merchant Processing Fee, their fee that they pay to use Credit Cards with, now the catch is, they will not let one check in with cash. I think this is highly un ethical and borderine illegal... Has anyone else experienced this?
Could you please clarify further about how the staff at this hotel property tried to charge you a merchant processing fee?

For example, did it appear on your folio when checking out and that is when you first found out about it? Did you ask about it? What did they say? Was it removed?

Please provide more details.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
hello all,

i just checked out of the home 2 suites at KCI- Kansas City airport, yesterday Sunday June 14, 2020, and they tried to charge me a Merchant Processing Fee, their fee that they pay to use Credit Cards with, now the catch is, they will not let one check in with cash. I think this is highly un ethical and borderine illegal... Has anyone else experienced this? Also, they do not offer any bottled water as a Diamond gift, overall was a very bad stay.

P.S. on the subject of benefits,In My own opinion, I think that these hotel and airline companies should honor their beneifts during this time, as when i wanted to stay at a 200 dollar a night hotel , and i only wanted to pay 150 dollars i told them i do not need maid service, etc.., they told me it was 200 dollars take it or leave it, i hope that this example sheds some light, so instead of breakfast they should be offering points etc...etc...

thank you,
kc tigers.
That’s a bit strange. Don’t recall US hotels trying this before. I know some merchants can offer a cash discount. We’re you using a Hilton credit card?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
they put iton my printed receipt and it said merchant processing fee, about 3 dollars give or take, which is about 3 % give or take of my charges, was not a hilton credit card, that is when i first found out about it and they then took it off, but i was visibly upset.

the lights in the hotel room not all worked, no bottled water at check in, etc.... makes me think the room was not cleaned well.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:15 pm
Suspended

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that companies are not allowed to do this? It is breaking the law.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
This was once prohibited. Thanks to the Durbin Amendment, US Merchants are allowed to charge credit card surcharges.
Few have tried. Some states prohibit it and it is unclear if Durbin amendment stands in those states or not (most businesses have decided not to try in those states; CA is one such state).

Hopefully this is not the beginning of a new trend. If not disclosed at time of booking, I would not consent to the surcharge and would have booked elsewhere. If consumers accept this practice, it will become much more widespread.

Have seen this at a small, small number of restaurants as well.

Looking at this MCI H2, when you book, it lists 16.35% tax, $1.99 per room per night tax, and $1.73 per room per night tax. Looking at other HH properties like the Hilton MCI, Hampton Inn MCI, none of them have this $1.99 per room per night tax that the MCI H2 is charging. All of these hotels have addresses in "Kansas City, MO." Is this another scam fee they are charging? Why doesn't the Hilton website label exactly what each of these taxes are for on the booking page? Legally they are required by law to list out what the specific tax they are charging you for is. I am suspicious the $1.99 is another junk fee in addition to the completely undisclosed at time of booking credit card surcharge.

Noted this was happening earlier this year per Trip Advisor reviews.

Would be curious to know if Hilton allows this practice or not, especially if someone is paying with a Hilton co-branded charge card this should not be allowed. Too bad we no longer have an HH Helper lurking here- since he was, I suspect based on the timing of when he left us, furloughed for 90 days. Maybe he will be back soon as I think the 90 days is about up.
SPN Lifer, writerguyfl and Thysk like this.

Last edited by storewanderer; Jun 15, 2020 at 3:06 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:27 am

I'd register your disappoint with Hilton.

Hilton Customer Service Contact Form: https://help.hilton.com/s/contactsupport

Although I've seen a bunch of different chain franchise agreements over the years, I can't recall if credit card surcharges are permitted. If they aren't permitted, the hotel will get penalized for breaking the rules.

But even if it's allowed, your complaint will count against the hotel's annual customer service scores. (If an individual hotel gets too many complaints, they will get a visit from the Regional Manager for their region.)
mikew99, SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:19 am

Just in case anyone is visiting Australia you should know that Credit Card surcharges are common (and legal).The merchant must clearly advise you of the surcharge up-front and the amount must be used to cover the costs incurred by the merchant and not as a "profit centre". It's typically somewhere between 0.5% and 1.5% for Mastercard and Visa. Amex is often higher at up to about 3%.

Hilton in Australia charge 1.5%.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:42 am

The CC surcharge is mentioned in the GDS at least

Code:
HOME2 SUITES KCI AIRPORT HOME2 SUITES KCI AIRPORT

SUITE:FLEXIBLE RATE;1 KING BED STUDIO SUITE NONSMOKING;FREE BRKFST/INTERNET-KITCHEN W/MICRO/FRIDGE

6/17/20 - 6/18/20 108.12 USD
TOTAL ROOM PRICE: 108.12 USD
TOTAL ROOM PRICE (incl. tax): 130.54 USD

TAX BREAKDOWN
8.60% SALES TAX
7.50% CONVENTION AND TOURISM TAX
0.25% ARENA FEE
$2.00 SERVICE FEE
$2.00 UTILITY FEE

NOTE: CREDIT CARD CHARGES ARE SUBJECT TO AN EXTRA CHARGE OF 3%
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Where not to stay.
IAHtraveler and Sisosig like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Definitely not-stay hotel.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment re US cash/currency: "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private."
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Billiken
Definitely not-stay hotel.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment re US cash/currency: "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private."
That is a tricky phrase that is commonly misconstrued in the realm of retail consumer purchases. The purchases you make at your local grocery, hardware, or clothing store are not considered "debt" for the purpose of the greenback being legal tender to cover the cost of said transaction. A retailer has the right to be selective as to what forms of payment they accept (No AMEX card, No Personal Checks, No Discover Card, No Bills Over $50, etc.). If you as a private consumer wish to do business and purchase items, then you have to play by the rules that the retailer has set forth - otherwise, take your business else where. Now, that is a grossly oversimplified example but you get the idea. Debt down at your local county courthouse or recorders office for a speeding ticket or property tax? They do in fact have to accept cash as a form of payment. I once saw a guy pay his property tax bill with $1's... lots of them. I guess he had a bone to pick with the county clerk!

I have run into retail shopping locations where they do not accept card (cash only) and vice versa (card only, no green cash). I have always inquired why they insist on one or the other. For example, coffee hut was card only. I ordered a $4 coffee. Now, I love points as much as the next guy, but I was just going to give them a $5 bill that I had floating in my pocket and be on my way. But they insisted they can't take cash and they didn't have ready access for daily cash deposits. They wanted card only. So I swiped! I guess they figure the cost of accounting for cash outweighs the merchant transaction fee that visa and MC charge them on their little square cash (lol, what a apropos name) register reader. I have also seen businesses who charge a fee for accepting credit cards on larger transactions..... construction contractor for example.... they wanted 1.5% for a CC use on charges of $2k or more. I was fine with that, as I had MSR to hit on a new CC.

To hotels, I would imagine any 4 star or higher property wouldn't be caught dead charging a CC fee... how tacky! They know they can just bump the room rate by $5-10 per night to cover the fee of a CC charge. For lower end properties, I would be less surprised to see it. But, that said, I don't think I ever have in all my hotel stays. But I have seen restrictions on card issuers at some non chain hotels and B&B's (specifically, no AMEX).
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA,BA,DEL,SPG,MAR
I have a friend "Steve" that sells CC processing for a company called Beyond. Beyond has been successful in selling this charging concept in California and nationally as well and unfortunately it is legal. The fee charges are the brainchild of Beyond CEO Robert O Carr. In my view the fees are simply a sales/marketing ploy to get more merchants. Beyond's sales pitch is "Why should a merchant pay CC charges so some "bleep" can fly for free.

Steve and and I have been arguing about these charges for the last couple of years. Steve swears his merchants hear no complaints about the additional charges from customers. My point is that many customers notice the fee and don't complain simply take their business elsewhere. I believe customers are more cost savvy than Beyond is giving them credit for.

My guess is we will see more and more of these CC charges in the future. When I see charges tacked on to purchases my response is to share my thoughts with the merchant and take my business elsewhere.

Best

Guido88
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’d say many might not notice it as they think it’s some sort of tax. If it’s up to the property whether to charge it, you can bet I won’t stay there. Just like Forex fees or similar, it’s not going to fly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:22 am

Credit Card Fee

The reason you must check in with a credit card is a very reasonable one. If you make off with a TV set or a painting or whatever, they can bill your card an option not available with cash. Second that does not have to be your payment when checking out you can pay with cash. As for the price, you should note that hotels have been starved for guests and need to stay afloat. If you wanted a cheap hotel was there no Motel 6 nearby?

hello all,

thank you,
kc tigers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.