Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[PROMO June to August 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Restaurant Credit (US only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PROMO June to August 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Restaurant Credit (US only)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
When I was on vacation for a month, I used my Amex Gold to buy a Cheesecake Factory Giftcard, which coded as a restaurant purchase.

Now would you want $250 at the Cheesecake Factory? That’s another question
cheesecake online is processed by Cash Star. Are we certain that is eligible for this?
Old May 26, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by nabeelj
I have an Aspire but I'm currently outside the US and will be through 8/31. Any ideas if there are any US-based online retailers that code as restaurant that I could buy GCs at, for example?
Not sure how AmEx codes restaurants, but one possibility may be the MileagePlus X app. I've used it to purchase restaurant gift cards (although using CSR, not AmEx), and have still gotten standard 3x restaurant bonus points.

Although there were some reports on that thread that some AmEx purchases weren't earning bonus points on purchases through the MPX app, so you might want to investigate there.

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

Also, pretty sure Starbucks reloads counts as a restaurant purchase (or at least it does with some other card issuers).
Old May 27, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by nabeelj
I have an Aspire but I'm currently outside the US and will be through 8/31. Any ideas if there are any US-based online retailers that code as restaurant that I could buy GCs at, for example?
Have you tried using your card at a non-US restaurant? The email I received said nothing about restaurants having to be in the US to receive the "resort" credit.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
Have you tried using your card at a non-US restaurant? The email I received said nothing about restaurants having to be in the US to receive the "resort" credit.
On the Aspire card this feature is not even starting until June 1, so going to a restaurant now would not yield any information as to whether it would receive the resort credit. Have other Amex cards (other than Hilton Aspire) started offering this benefit earlier?

Edit: I just checked my Aspire e-mail and mine does say "US restaurants"

Last edited by Eujeanie; May 27, 2020 at 2:10 am
Old May 27, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
On June 1 buy a hamburger at a Toronto McDonalds, call CSR a couple of days later to see if it counts.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I think you'd be hard put to find a US chain restaurant which doesn't offer gift cards online.
Yes, but you have make sure the purchase codes as that restaurant chain. Some stores that sell gift cards online can outsource the gift card sales so that they're not billed to the restaurant itself. For those people who just want the gift card, it doesn't matter, but for those people trying to trigger a restaurant gift purchase, it may not work.

So you have to either use restaurants for which there are datapoints, or watch carefully as you check out to make sure you're not "thrown" to some other website (or see some notice saying it will be billed by someone else), the way for example some airlines have outsourced selling their own stuff to points.com billing.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
Originally Posted by kmandrew
On June 1 buy a hamburger at a Toronto McDonalds, call CSR a couple of days later to see if it counts.
The email does say US restaurants:

From June 1, 2020 through August 31, 2020, eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants will qualify toward the $250 Hilton Resort Statement Credit benefit.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
But I'm interested in UAuhoh's email which did not specify US restaurants. What card, where is he located?

My e-mail went so far as to say, and I'm paraphrasing, that even a US restaurant operating in a foreign country does NOT count (they used the example of the Hard Rock Café in Paris).
Old May 30, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
On the Aspire card this feature is not even starting until June 1, so going to a restaurant now would not yield any information as to whether it would receive the resort credit. Have other Amex cards (other than Hilton Aspire) started offering this benefit earlier?

Edit: I just checked my Aspire e-mail and mine does say "US restaurants"
Going to a restaurant now would yield the information as to whether or not it's coded as "restaurant" in Amex's system.

I lucked out: my anniversary is 8/1, and I haven't made it to a Hilton resort in the past year. (I finally found one that offered gift cards that isn't too far from one place I travel to, but I'm not doing any traveling in the immediate future either.)
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Originally Posted by econ
Also, pretty sure Starbucks reloads counts as a restaurant purchase (or at least it does with some other card issuers).
I think you're right. I had a recent Starbucks reload on my Amex. The transaction detail shows "U.S. Restaurants", and it received the appropriate bonus (this was pre-6/1).
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Any datapoints on whether food delivery apps like Doordash, UberEats trigger the restaurant credit?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
Any datapoints on whether food delivery apps like Doordash, UberEats trigger the restaurant credit?
The following 1 May posts (# 1099 & # 1101) are the latest word on the subject. Good question.
Originally Posted by stevenou
Does anyone know if it includes delivery services though, like UberEats, Caviar, DoorDash etc? Or only direct from the restaurant?
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Some delivery services, but far from all of them perhaps. It has to code as a Restaurant, not as Delivery, at Amex. (Keep in mind that merchant coding varies with the card network.)

Because the Amex Gold card has a $10/month credit for using Grubhub/Seamless, we know that that particular delivery/pickup service codes as Restaurant at Amex, but that certainly doesn't mean all / any other delivery services do.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
Probably be a few days before we see anything fully post and get credited.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:13 pm

Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have the Gold card, so receive the 4X bonus on "restaurants" and have had experience with various merchants that do/don't come through as restaurants.

As pointed out upthread, Grubhub/Seamless work as that's a stated benefit
In my experience (over a year ago) - Doordash has coded as "restaurant" with the bonus and Postmates did not.
If it's the same criteria as the Gold card bonus, that might be helpful. However, unsure until someone posts their actual experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.