Antwerp/Brussels Hilton

Old Jun 5, 20, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Antwerp/Brussels Hilton

We have the air booked for a trip next April, the Belgium part will include either the Hilton Antwerp 40k or Hilton Brussels 60k. While there we plan to do day trips to Bruges, Ghent, Rotterdam, ect so with the 5th night free we are talking about 80k or around $350 difference. They both have lounges and seem nice - is there any reason to pick Brussels Iím not thinking of? From there we are flying to Lisbon but the flight from BRU doesnít leave until noon so no factor there.
Old Jun 5, 20, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Its been a few years but i am a fan of the Antwerp Hilton. Right in the thick of where you want to be. In Brussels there is the Brussels City property, which should be avoided at all costs, but given the reference to a lounge it looks like you are looking at the Grand Plaza, which i have not yet experienced. In terms of the cities i much prefer Antwerp, and given your planned excursions it is better located. And the drive from Antwerp to BRU is an easy 30 minutes.

In Holland watch the speed cameras
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 3:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Drive???

Brussels Grand Place is next to the train station while Antwerp is a bit of a walk, which I would be happy to do to save 80K points. Train service from Antwerp to Ghent is slightly less frequent and may need a change to Bruges, but that's minor.
Old Jun 6, 20, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I would go for Antwerp, Lovely hotel, good lounge and just a much better vibe. You can easily take the train to the airport.
JDiver, neo_781 and redpalmetto like this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks Antwerp it is
i just noticed the Crown Plaza in Bruges went for 35k to 20k so thinking maybe spend the first 2 nights there then 5 nights in Antwerp. We are flying OMA/ORD/AMS/BRU in J using 96k almost worthless VS miles on KLM so assume we will not get much done the first night (OMA to ORD on AA).
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
. We are flying OMA/ORD/AMS/BRU in J using 96k almost worthless VS miles on KLM so assume we will not get much done the first night (OMA to ORD on AA).
Keep a close eye on your reservation, as part of the government help to KLM one of the conditions is to cut short flights from AMS that can be replaced by a train ride, and AMS-BRU would be one of the prime candidates for the chop.
Old Jun 6, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Thanks Antwerp it is
i just noticed the Crown Plaza in Bruges went for 35k to 20k so thinking maybe spend the first 2 nights there then 5 nights in Antwerp. We are flying OMA/ORD/AMS/BRU in J using 96k almost worthless VS miles on KLM so assume we will not get much done the first night (OMA to ORD on AA).
I did not stay at the CP so I can't comment on the hotel, but I highly recommend staying in Bruges. Charming city that becomes even more so in the evening after the day trippers leave and the lights come on.
Old Jun 6, 20, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Keep a close eye on your reservation, as part of the government help to KLM one of the conditions is to cut short flights from AMS that can be replaced by a train ride, and AMS-BRU would be one of the prime candidates for the chop.
Thanks, I will watch for that
It actually wouldnít be all bad my wife wants to do a day trip up to the tulip farm outside Amsterdam. Now you got me thinking I suppose I could just skip the last leg, spend one night at one of the AMS Hiltonís, check our luggage at the hotel, jump on the bus to the gardens then take the train to Bruges that afternoon.
Old Jun 6, 20, 11:24 pm

Thanks, I will watch for that
It actually wouldnít be all bad my wife wants to do a day trip up to the tulip farm outside Amsterdam. Now you got me thinking I suppose I could just skip the last leg, spend one night at one of the AMS Hiltonís, check our luggage at the hotel, jump on the bus to the gardens then take the train to Bruges that afternoon.
Also be careful with "just skip", traveling to Europe is not like the US: your luggage will be checked to BRU where you will do customs, while you will immigrate in AMS. So unless you short check your luggage to AMS or you have the last leg removed from the ticket you might end up with a very angry wife
Old Jun 7, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Drive???
Hey, I'm a yank, need i say more ?
wizla likes this.
Old Jun 7, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH D; IHG G
You might feel out of place today. Didn't they just adjust the speed limit in the inner circle of Brussels town to 20 km/h (12.5 mph) for all non-pedestrian traffic? Also you would need to register your vehicle for the light emission zone for all of the Brussels Capital Region, or get a 350 euro fine (luckily, just one for the duration of your stay). Cars rented in Belgium will have been accounted for I assume, but about foreign cars I wouldn't be too sure. Welcome to the Capital of Europe!
Old Jun 7, 20, 3:20 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Iíve been to both of these Hiltonís a couple of times, whilst the Brussels hotel is more modern and somewhat grand I actually prefer the Hilton Antwerp more.
Antwerp itself is such a lovely place to spend a couple of days , great little cafes, restaurants and the square outside the hotel always has some sort of entertainment going on , perhaps a fair, food market, etc.
The lounge also has a rather nice outside terrace with views over the square, itís a little dated but this adds to the charm, also the variety at breakfast here is one of the biggest Iíve seen!
Hilton Brussels is nice too but I feel Antwerp has the edge.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jun 7, 20, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks Antwerp it is
The Crowne Plaza in Brugge / Bruges is a brilliant location. Iíd certainly do that.

The Hilton Grand Place has a very good location, practically across the boulevard from the railroad station, and within walkable distance of so much. While I like the Hilton in Antwerp as well, and itís a short tram ride from the rr station, which one Iíd recommend for a five for four stat depends on what you prefer for activities. We loved Antwerp. The hotel has a good vibe, but the rooms are a hotch potch placement.
Old Jun 9, 20, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP been did done that, I stayed in Bruges,Ghent,Antwerp and BRU, I would forget about getting a 5th night free and would gladly use more pts in order to avoid going back an dforth with the train everyday (or most)It was nice to simply walk out of the hotel both by day and night for a stroll. And what you will save on not paying to return by train will take care of that free night. Either way you will pay extra $$ wise or pts wise

I understand not packing up everydayI would redo it as I did rather then try and get a free night out of it, Unless you will spend the majority of then 5 days in either ANT or BRU which doesnts eem to be your plans
Old Jun 9, 20, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
OP been did done that, I stayed in Bruges,Ghent,Antwerp and BRU, I would forget about getting a 5th night free and would gladly use more pts in order to avoid going back an dforth with the train everyday (or most)It was nice to simply walk out of the hotel both by day and night for a stroll. And what you will save on not paying to return by train will take care of that free night. Either way you will pay extra $$ wise or pts wise

I understand not packing up everydayI would redo it as I did rather then try and get a free night out of it, Unless you will spend the majority of then 5 days in either ANT or BRU which doesnts eem to be your plans
I’m warming up to your suggestion, 5 nights in one place does seems a bit much. This would bring the Hilton’s in Rotterdam and The Hague into play, I have 7 nights available. My wife would prefer 2 night says, we land at 10 am in BRU - so train to Bruges - as I mentioned Crown Plaza 2 nights. Let’s say the last 2 nights in Antwerp so the middle 3 would be open, I assume Ghent is a must, I see a couple of very nice hotels (Pillows) pretty reasonable - so Rotterdam or The Hague? We do typical tourist stuff, castles, churches, museums ect - we do like to walk the towns in the evening.

Last edited by kmandrew; Jun 9, 20 at 3:15 pm Reason: Update

Search this Thread
Search Engine: