FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Has Hilton suspended free water and snacks for elites? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2017122-has-hilton-suspended-free-water-snacks-elites.html)

Mcdonoughdr May 4, 2020 6:07 pm

Has Hilton suspended free water and snacks for elites?

So I checked into a Homewood Suites tonight and was told that Hilton has suspended all water and snack benefits for elites during Covd19. Has anyone experienced this during recent stays?

Perhaps this was announced somewhere and I missed it.

aww3583 May 4, 2020 6:09 pm

I’ve had a handful of stays in the past 6 weeks.

No issues getting water or snacks at Hiltons or Hamptons. In fact, with the lounges all closed, the Hiltons have really done well with grab-and-go food/drinks in the lobby.

DELee May 4, 2020 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr (Post 32348909)
So I checked into a Homewood Suites tonight and was told that Hilton has suspended all water and snack benefits for elites during Covd19. Has anyone experienced this during recent stays?

Perhaps this was announced somewhere and I missed it.

Methinks you've been scrod by that particular HS.

David

writerguyfl May 4, 2020 9:38 pm

In this type of situation, the exact words matter. Sometimes guests hear the word "corporate" and hear "Hilton". Other times, it's the hotel employee that will read a memo and confuse the two terms.

Many franchise hotels are owned by companies that operate multiple properties. Those companies will have a corporate office. This is a separate corporate office from the chain's corporate office.

Hotel employees (particularly ones at limited or selective service hotels) aren't typically educated about the structure the industry. Or, if they are, they tend to forget it because they are more concerned with learning the critical functions of their new job.

My guess is that the corporate office of the company that owns this franchise made this decision. It's a policy that only applies to hotels owned by that company. In explaining the policy, the employee failed to adequately describe the situation.

Shane Foster May 4, 2020 9:41 pm

We just left a Homewood suites today. I received water at check in

Global Adventurer May 5, 2020 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Shane Foster (Post 32349202)
We just left a Homewood suites today. I received water at check in

I have a stay coming up and hope they have water, snacks and some prepackaged meals. But, water would better than nothing.

craigthemif May 5, 2020 9:17 am

Standard practice...

The franchisee wants to save money and thinks they can get away with it for awhile by blaming a new "corporate policy". Only a few guests will get on their phones immediately to confirm with customer service. Eventually the hotel chain will give the franchisee a good kicking for ignoring brand and loyalty programme standards...

DBCme May 5, 2020 10:15 am

I've also been staying at a number of properties, across brands past few weeks.
Wide range of breakfast offers - most buffets are now cold grab and go bags.

Best Buffet: Not self-serve, but wide range of hot and cold dishes served by staff member for to go only. Winner: Fairfield Inn & Suites Sacramento Airport
Best Scaled down self serve: Full range of cold, oatmeal, fruits, muffins, pop tarts, yogurts, pre-made cheese and meat sandwiches (microwave nearby). **Kudos: Holiday Inn Express OKC Airport**
Best of bags: Yogurt, reasonably balanced/healthy snack bar, muffin, piece of fruit, beverage. Many properties
Cheapo hotels: bag of 3 high sugar high carb snack bars, baby size water. **Shame on Best Western Barsana Hotel, Oklahoma City **
Decent gone cheap: grab and go bag with a reasonably healthy snack bar, piece of fruit, muffin, bottled water. BUT, has since changed the policy with signage saying breakfast is discontinued. In practice if you ask you will still receive the bag. ** Home2 by Hilton OKC airport **

After writing this I realized my observations pertained to Breakfast offerings, not elite snack.
My experience at Home2 (two separate stays); one was bottled water and some small Nabisco snack. Second time nothing proactively offered.