Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New HH Amex benefits for a period of time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New HH Amex benefits for a period of time

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
This may be a good option to rack up some lifetime base points through spend. There are a lot of good opportunities out there, so I have to decide if it's worth focusing on Lifetime Hilton status. I'm not close, but this may be my only path towards lifetime status. Thoughts?
Old May 5, 2020, 2:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by DELee
For those gunning for Lifetime Diamond:
Lifetime Diamond = 10 years Diamond, 1,000 paid nights or 10 years Diamond, 2,000,000 base points

David
Award nights also count toward the night requirement.

Originally Posted by pollyG
I am so confused about what are "bonus points"? For regular purchases (non-supermarket, etc.) we earn 3x points. These are NOT "bonus" points, correct? Looking at my previous statements, under Hilton Honors Points earned, it has 2 categories:
Points Earned for Eligible Purchases
Total Bonus Points Earned

Do both categories count toward life Diamond now? or only the "bonus points"?
I called today to get my lifetime night and base point totals and asked about the AMEX bonus points counting towards lifetime base points. The CSR put me on hold to look into it and came back saying that all of the points awarded would count. So according to her, both the regular points plus the "bonus" points would count.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by stanj
Correctamundo. Will go back and fix the post.

I called today to get my lifetime night and base point totals and asked about the AMEX bonus points counting towards lifetime base points. The CSR put me on hold to look into it and came back saying that all of the points awarded would count. So according to her, both the regular points plus the "bonus" points would count.
Whohoo!

David
Old May 5, 2020, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
This may be a good option to rack up some lifetime base points through spend. There are a lot of good opportunities out there, so I have to decide if it's worth focusing on Lifetime Hilton status. I'm not close, but this may be my only path towards lifetime status. Thoughts?
Remember you need the base points (2 mm) or nights (1,000)- and 10 years as Diamond.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Well, depending on how you spend, it could be good or less good. If you're doing a bit of supermarket spend, you'll get 12x the total dollars => that's better than the 10x base point multiplier that you'd get staying in a Hilton Honors property that's not either Tru or Home2.

But this is only from May 1 to July 31.

A better point earner is stays @ Hilton where you'll continue to get the 10x/dollar Base Point earnings + 14x Bonus/now Base Points on your HH Aspire AMEX (or 12x for Surpass/Ascend) through the end of the year. So with the HH Aspire you'd earn 24x Base Points for each dollar spent on rooms and applicable purchases during your HH stays.

David
Old May 6, 2020, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Too bad you can’t charge your supermarket purchases to your folio .
DELee likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:25 am

Do any of the benefits (even the points towards lifetime) apply to the no-AF card?
Old May 6, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nall
Do any of the benefits (even the points towards lifetime) apply to the no-AF card?
Just the points towards annual/lifetime. Nothing else.

I got the no-AF card as a bonus churn and way to get 2.5% (as Hilton points) for gas/groceries, since I hadn't ever held this card with AMEX before, as a cheap companion to a Green card (pairing Green with Gold and Aspire is aspirational for 2021)... on the one hand, unfortunate to miss out on the 12x groceries/restaurants, but on the other hand, I'll still get something like 80k with my spend + bonus, plus some lifetime points through 2020, and it's still no annual fee.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 6, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Old May 6, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by stanj

We’re they able to provide your nights and points total when you called?

Thank you,

David
Old May 6, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Too bad you can’t charge your supermarket purchases to your folio .
Maybe you can: From Homewood Suites home page:

David
Old May 7, 2020, 9:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by DiverDave
We’re they able to provide your nights and points total when you called?

Thank you,

David
Yes. The CSR was able to see them when she pulled my account up.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:48 pm

Expansion of weekend night certificate to any day

For the expansion of the free weekend night to any night, are we interpreting that to mean the offer extends only through the end of 2020? The terms don't explicitly say that.
Unexpired Free Weekend Night rewards as of May 1, 2020 and new Free Weekend Night Rewards issued until December 31, 2020 on the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card can now be used any night of the week (not just on weekends). New Free Weekend Night Rewards issued from May 1 through December 31, 2020 will be valid for 24 months (rather than 12 months) from the date of issuance. Free Weekend Night Rewards must be redeemed on or before the expiration date.
You can read this to mean that any certificates issued through the end of 2020 can be used on any night until expired (potentially through 2022). However, Hilton probably means that the expansion to any night is only valid through 2020.

How is everyone else reading this?
Old May 8, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass Card. From May 1 to July 31 they are offering 12X points at grocery stores and those bonus points count as base points. So if I spend 10K at grocery stores from now to July 31 I will be Diamond next year? Is that right? That seems way too easy. And yeah I realize there will be a lot of Diamonds so it will be very diluted but still seems way too easy. Did I calculate that correctly?
Old May 8, 2020, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChanelCinq
I have the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass Card. From May 1 to July 31 they are offering 12X points at grocery stores and those bonus points count as base points. So if I spend 10K at grocery stores from now to July 31 I will be Diamond next year? Is that right? That seems way too easy. And yeah I realize there will be a lot of Diamonds so it will be very diluted but still seems way too easy. Did I calculate that correctly?
My view of the promo as described is it is only the bonus Amex points that will count as base HH points, eg only the 9 bonus points per $ spend, not the first 3. That is how the points post on the Amex statement. Assuming so you would need to spend $13,334 at grocery stores between now and 7/31 to be Diamond through 2021.

Don't forget the 3 bonus points per $ spend on other categories eg gas and restaurants.
Old May 8, 2020, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
My view of the promo as described is it is only the bonus Amex points that will count as base HH points, eg only the 9 bonus points per $ spend, not the first 3. That is how the points post on the Amex statement. Assuming so you would need to spend $13,334 at grocery stores between now and 7/31 to be Diamond through 2021.

Don't forget the 3 bonus points per $ spend on other categories eg gas and restaurants.
The way they show points on our statements (points on eligible purchases vs. bonus points) is very confusing, but I think they're using the term bonus points in the promo to refer to any points that are not the base points earned through hotel stays. If you look the Amex application page for Hilton cards, you'll see that they use the term bonus points for all points earned on the card. E.g.,

"Earn 7x Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio."
"Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card."

As I posted above, the rep I spoke with told me that all points earned on the card during the promo will be counted as base points. As we all know, reps don't always get it right, but what she said is in line with the way they refer to points on the application page.
ChanelCinq likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.