Slow Refund to credit card

Old Apr 14, 20, 8:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: AS gold
Posts: 209
Slow Refund to credit card

After Hilton announced their policy change to allow cancellation of non refundable reservations about a month ago, I called to cancel the reservation.
The agent filled out a paper form and told me Hilton would process the cancellation and refund in 7-10 days.

Two weeks ago, when the reservation had not been cancelled, I called them again. They cancelled the reservation and told me the CC refund would post in 10-14 days.
This morning, when the refund had still not posted, I called them again and they stated it is now taking 30 days for the refunds to post.

Can't blame them for a cash flow problem, but am wondering what others are experiencing and whether it might be time for a chargeback?
macfadsj is offline  
Old Apr 14, 20, 10:59 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
Told 30 days, too

I recently had to cancel a Hilton reservation and they told me to expect the refund in thirty days. Once the month passes, then I'd start contacting the credit card company.
Austennut is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:58 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,481
I had a charged reservation that was cancelled and told it would take 5 business days. I disputed the charge after that and have provisional credit.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 12:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Europe
Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 175
I cancelled a reservation a month ago, still nothing.
I enquired via email and I got the following
"Thank you for your e-mail, Unfortunately due to several cancellation, refund can take 90 days.
We apologize for that, and we do our best to finalize the refund as soon as possible."
MP001 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 10:56 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 326
I've been waiting a month, I've just given them another 7 days otherwise I'll start a Section 75 claim on my credit card.
strickers is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:46 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Marriott is claiming it may take up to 90 days for refunds... these hotels are mostly independently owned businesses, most are closed now or dealing with having almost no cash flow, so it isn't so easy to just give refunds.

Figure out when the dispute period for the transaction expires on your credit card. I think it is usually 180 days from the transaction date. But check your card's terms and do not take what I am saying here as fact. I would suggest filing a dispute before the dispute period ends, if you have not received a refund by then.

In your dispute support you will want to notate that the hotel is closed or similar. You cannot dispute because they are being "slow to give you a refund" assuming they can actually honor the reservation. You will lose a dispute if the hotel is open.
storewanderer is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:52 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
Marriott is claiming it may take up to 90 days for refunds... these hotels are mostly independently owned businesses, most are closed now or dealing with having almost no cash flow, so it isn't so easy to just give refunds.

Figure out when the dispute period for the transaction expires on your credit card. I think it is usually 180 days from the transaction date. But check your card's terms and do not take what I am saying here as fact. I would suggest filing a dispute before the dispute period ends, if you have not received a refund by then.

In your dispute support you will want to notate that the hotel is closed or similar. You cannot dispute because they are being "slow to give you a refund" assuming they can actually honor the reservation. You will lose a dispute if the hotel is open.
Which I fully understand but having been furloughed this is 3 weeks grocery money!
strickers is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Originally Posted by strickers View Post
Which I fully understand but having been furloughed this is 3 weeks grocery money!
I know, this is not a good situation and it is not right for them to hold money like this. But on a non-cancellable reservation they are not required to refund unless they cannot perform the service (so if the hotel is closed). They are refunding these as a goodwill gesture.

My suggestion next time is to not book a non-cancellable reservation unless you can part with those dollars. You have to do the cost benefit analysis of if it is worth saving the money and doing a non-cancellable, or risking a situation like this.

The cost spread on hotels for cancellable vs. non-cancellable is often 10-20%. Is it really worth it? With airlines where the cost spread is so much higher you really don't have a choice and have to do non-cancellable and basically know you will not see a refund of your money to your credit card under any terms.
storewanderer is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 3:05 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
I know, this is not a good situation and it is not right for them to hold money like this. But on a non-cancellable reservation they are not required to refund unless they cannot perform the service (so if the hotel is closed). They are refunding these as a goodwill gesture.

My suggestion next time is to not book a non-cancellable reservation unless you can part with those dollars. You have to do the cost benefit analysis of if it is worth saving the money and doing a non-cancellable, or risking a situation like this.

The cost spread on hotels for cancellable vs. non-cancellable is often 10-20%. Is it really worth it? With airlines where the cost spread is so much higher you really don't have a choice and have to do non-cancellable and basically know you will not see a refund of your money to your credit card under any terms.
The hotel is closed and thanks for the lecture on the pros and cons of flexible/non-flexible, very constructive.
strickers is offline  
Old Apr 17, 20, 1:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Originally Posted by strickers View Post
The hotel is closed and thanks for the lecture on the pros and cons of flexible/non-flexible, very constructive.
You are welcome. Always glad to help out.

Also beware if you dispute the charge with your credit card you may get blacklisted from the company's properties and/or have your loyalty account closed.

It is not unusual for travel providers to handle credit card disputes with that as part of the resolution. Perhaps more common with rental car providers than other travel providers, but do believe we have heard of it happening in the past on the hotel forums.
storewanderer is offline  
Old Apr 17, 20, 1:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
You are welcome. Always glad to help out.

Also beware if you dispute the charge with your credit card you may get blacklisted from the company's properties and/or have your loyalty account closed.

It is not unusual for travel providers to handle credit card disputes with that as part of the resolution. Perhaps more common with rental car providers than other travel providers, but do believe we have heard of it happening in the past on the hotel forums.
Maybe the subtle sarcasm was too subtle?
strickers is offline  
Old Apr 17, 20, 9:23 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by strickers View Post
Which I fully understand but having been furloughed this is 3 weeks grocery money!
I don't think you still quite understand. Your aren't the only one without money at the moment. Hence the problem of a quick refund.
Super Mario is offline  
Old Apr 17, 20, 10:07 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I don't think you still quite understand. Your aren't the only one without money at the moment. Hence the problem of a quick refund.
I never expected a quick refund, just one in the timescale that was promised.
strickerj likes this.
strickers is offline  
Old Apr 17, 20, 1:37 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Originally Posted by strickers View Post
I never expected a quick refund, just one in the timescale that was promised.
You still never answered if the hotel was closed and unable to perform the obligation of a room to you, or if the hotel is still open and this is a case where you canceled a non-refundable reservation because you have chosen not to travel and they are giving you the refund as a goodwill gesture.

If the hotel is open and it was your choice to not travel, then you do not deserve any refund. You agreed to the terms of a non-refundable refund meaning non-refundable. They are giving you a refund as a goodwill gesture. Frankly, they can take as long as they want to give you the refund. They don't have to give you one at all. But go ahead and file that credit card dispute and risk getting blacklisted from the loyalty program and their properties. Also that will be a black mark against you with the credit card company when you lose the dispute, it may hurt you in the future when you have a legitimate dispute to file there as well.

Step lightly. If the hotel is open.

If the hotel is closed then absolutely file a dispute, that is a legitimate dispute, you just need proof that the hotel is closed and unable to perform the service that they charged you for.
storewanderer is offline  
Old Apr 18, 20, 1:46 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
You still never answered if the hotel was closed and unable to perform the obligation of a room to you, or if the hotel is still open and this is a case where you canceled a non-refundable reservation because you have chosen not to travel and they are giving you the refund as a goodwill gesture.

If the hotel is open and it was your choice to not travel, then you do not deserve any refund. You agreed to the terms of a non-refundable refund meaning non-refundable. They are giving you a refund as a goodwill gesture. Frankly, they can take as long as they want to give you the refund. They don't have to give you one at all. But go ahead and file that credit card dispute and risk getting blacklisted from the loyalty program and their properties. Also that will be a black mark against you with the credit card company when you lose the dispute, it may hurt you in the future when you have a legitimate dispute to file there as well.

Step lightly. If the hotel is open.

If the hotel is closed then absolutely file a dispute, that is a legitimate dispute, you just need proof that the hotel is closed and unable to perform the service that they charged you for.
Re read the first four words of post 9!
strickers is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: