Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Refund to credit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by strickers
Thanks for this, it was the email from the hotel that finally gave me the information and ammunition required.
Yes, I am glad you got that e-mail as it hits what you need with the Chargeback and any potential later issues with Hilton (though I am sure hundreds will be filing chargebacks at this very hotel so who knows if the hotel will take action against so many people, that may raise other red flags).

I have been watching situations like this throughout the hotel forums. Something needs to change in the future with all these deposits being collected in advance from customers. It appears to me many properties were taking those deposits and using them to fund operations or who knows what, vs. keeping them in a pool that could be refunded back to customers. Honest accounting would be to collect the deposit and restrict it 100% from any other use until after the service obligation to the customer is performed meaning after the customer checks out of the hotel. I suspect reality is they collect the deposits and just do whatever with the money and use it as operating revenue immediately (maybe restrict some small % that they estimate they will end up refunding, nowhere near the 100% they are having to refund now). This is almost like a pyramid scheme.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: A bunch
Got my refund notification from Amex today, 28 days after cancellation.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS gold
I also received my $775 refund two days ago, 28 days after I cancelled the reservation.

Last edited by macfadsj; May 1, 2020 at 6:48 am
Old May 2, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Hilton KL
2 months on after cancelling my reservation and still no refund received despite chasing
Old May 3, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Hilton KL
2 months on after cancelling my reservation and still no refund received despite chasing
I canceled Hilton KL 5 weeks ago and also haven't received refund.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Just a data point. I canceled my pre-paid reservation on 3/13 and got my refund on 4/28 (although it took a few extra days to post on my CC as well). I did not follow up with Hilton at any point during this duration, so it happened on its own.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond Member
I canceled my pre paid reservation on 25 March at Heathrow terminal 5 contact Hilton last week. Hotel emailed me to say they will pay refund when the hotel re opens
Old May 3, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I cancelled a stay at Hilton Heathrow Terminal 4 on March 17.th, refund received today.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:13 am
Suspended

I cancelled my APR for the vienna danube riverfront June 7th on March 27th and have received today the bill as I would have gotten at check out. No idea what that means.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
By "bill" do you mean that the property is asking for funds? Has it debited a card or deducted points?
Old May 6, 2020, 9:32 am
Suspended

I mean the folio that you always get after check out. It showed what I paid and sums up 0. Also in the App I can see the reservation as cancelled with the remark “late cancel”
Old May 6, 2020, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by adenzin7
I mean the folio that you always get after check out. It showed what I paid and sums up 0. Also in the App I can see the reservation as cancelled with the remark “late cancel”
I am still confused.

If you have not paid but show a zero balance, that is an internal accounting issue at the property. It you have paid anything, then the question becomes whether you are due a refund.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I’ve had to cancel a 12 day stay in early June, which I booked on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. I was hoping to be able to go but the hotel isn’t providing dinner, my airline has just cancelled my flight and there’s still a 14 day quarantine in place.

I have therefore filled in the form on the website for a refund. All my previous cancelled stays were flexible bookings that I could cancel directly.

I fully understand it might be a while before I get my money back, but will I receive email confirmation of my cancellation? I believe you can cancel up to 24 hours before your arrival so I’d expected a quick, even automated, acknowledgement after filling in the form - but I have heard nothing and the stay still shows as live online. Have I potentially filled in the form incorrectly, or do I just need to wait?
Old May 6, 2020, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS gold
Dmahon, we cancelled by phone and also filled out that form and the reservation was still there two weeks later.
When we called a second time, they had no record of the form being filled out. Best to call them
now: cancel the reservation again, insist on a cancellation email, and stay on the phone with them until the
cancellation email arrives.
Then, just for the record, do not accept their cancellation number of "LateCncl".
Go into your account and take a screen shot of the cancelled reservation,
which should show a numeric cancellation number. Never know when you might
need it for a chargeback.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
I am still confused.

If you have not paid but show a zero balance, that is an internal accounting issue at the property. It you have paid anything, then the question becomes whether you are due a refund.
Hi, of course I paid 120€ non-cancellable advanced purchase rate for June 7th. It all looks very strange and besides my invoice I haven't heard anything from the property. I'll call again.

LateCancel!?

No reservation or cancellation number, all my other cancelled stays in the past have them. I also never received a confirmation email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.