Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Adding Guests to a Reservation... Very Frustrating Process

Old Apr 6, 20, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE

With the unfortunate redesign of the website, the functionality to add a guests name to the reservation before booking is broken.

The only way to do this is to book the reservation, wait for the confirmed reservation to appear on your profile, and click “edit reservation”. It’s at this step when you can only add one additional guest.

I had to add my children’s names to a reservation. Since the website only allows you to add one guest’s name (despite being a room with capacity for 6 occupants), I called the Diamond Desk.

The DD agent said her system “wasn’t letting her make the change” and she put me on hold while she called the hotel. She then discovered that the hotel is closed temporarily. I found it incredible that a DD agent had to rely on the front desk of a property to add a name to a reservation.

I reached out to HHonors via Twitter and told that adding a guest to a reservation booked with points is not possible and I’d need to cancel and rebook, adding the names during the booking process (which, as mentioned earlier, is not possible). I created a dummy booking and, of course, the room and dates I need are now 50% more expensive.

HHonors Twitter team said they could add the guests’ names to the comments section of the reservation. However, the 3rd party’s external system that requires the guests’ names can’t see the comments sections since that is for hotel use only.

Long story short, be very mindful of how and when you add guests’ names to your reservation!
Old Apr 6, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I agree that sounds frustrating, unnecessarily so. But (honest question) why would you need your kids' names added to a reservation? If the hotel requires their names, couldn't you just provide them at check-in?
Old Apr 6, 20, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I agree that sounds frustrating, unnecessarily so. But (honest question) why would you need your kids' names added to a reservation? If the hotel requires their names, couldn't you just provide them at check-in?
The hotel is partnered with Disney to allow guests access to Extra Magic Hours, Fast Passes, and additional benefits for those visiting the parks. Disney only extends those benefits to guests named on the reservation. Disney uses your confirmation number and look into Hilton's system to confirm.

Since both my wife and I are named on the reservation, Disney can enroll us in the additional benefits. As it stands right now, since my kids can not be named on the existing reservation, they can not be extended the same benefits. Typically, Disney would do a 3-way call with the hotel to resolve, but since the hotel's closed, we're out of luck at this point.
Old Apr 6, 20, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Got it, thanks for the explanation. Sounds frustrating for sure. Whenever your trip is, I hope that Disney is fully up and running so you and your family have a wonderful vacation!
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If you and your wife are already named guests, I doubt that further persons (children or not) can be added to the room as add. guests - it would change the room rate from a 2 person room to a 3-4 persons room. To my knowledge it is not customary to add children to a reservation as add. guests.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 9, 20, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
To my knowledge it is not customary to add children to a reservation as add. guests.
I think this is a good point. It's hard for me to fault Hilton here. Needing to add the names of children is not something necessary for 99.9% of hotels. I suppose it's possible there might be a few other hotels that need that sort of functionality. But, I also wouldn't be shocked if it was only the three Disney World Hilton-branded properties that need kid's names. That's 3 hotels out of almost 6,000.

Needing to ensure that guests can manually add names to reservations (either during the booking or after they are made) would be super low on the priority list. In fact, it might not even appear on the programmers' list of requirements.

aww3583: The three Hilton-branded hotels where this matters might be closed to guests, but they still will have some managers working. (They are still accepting reservations, so there has to be someone monitoring their inventory.)

Try visiting the Hilton Contact Us page. Select "Hotel Questions" in the drop down menu. In the comment box, enter a short statement. Something like: "Please add the following names to my reservation so I can access the Disney World benefits like FastPass+." Obviously, include the names, too.

https://help.hilton.com/s/contactsupport

It might take a few days, but I am hopeful that doing that will solve your problem.
Old Apr 9, 20, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
If you and your wife are already named guests, I doubt that further persons (children or not) can be added to the room as add. guests - it would change the room rate from a 2 person room to a 3-4 persons room. To my knowledge it is not customary to add children to a reservation as add. guests.
It is customary to indicate the exact number of guests in the room for fire code reasons. Children, to the best of my knowledge, don't affect the rate. We've done it several years in a row, specifically at several Orlando-area properties. We also indicate in the reservation the number of guests and select a room with appropriate capacity.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 20, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
I think this is a good point. It's hard for me to fault Hilton here. Needing to add the names of children is not something necessary for 99.9% of hotels. I suppose it's possible there might be a few other hotels that need that sort of functionality. But, I also wouldn't be shocked if it was only the three Disney World Hilton-branded properties that need kid's names. That's 3 hotels out of almost 6,000.

Needing to ensure that guests can manually add names to reservations (either during the booking or after they are made) would be super low on the priority list. In fact, it might not even appear on the programmers' list of requirements.

aww3583: The three Hilton-branded hotels where this matters might be closed to guests, but they still will have some managers working. (They are still accepting reservations, so there has to be someone monitoring their inventory.)

Try visiting the Hilton Contact Us page. Select "Hotel Questions" in the drop down menu. In the comment box, enter a short statement. Something like: "Please add the following names to my reservation so I can access the Disney World benefits like FastPass+." Obviously, include the names, too.

https://help.hilton.com/s/contactsupport

It might take a few days, but I am hopeful that doing that will solve your problem.
Diamond Desk was unable to help. Calls to the hotel remain unanswered. The Twitter team did what they could and Disney customer care seems able to see what they need to see to process the reservation.
Old Apr 12, 20, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Diamond Desk was unable to help. Calls to the hotel remain unanswered. The Twitter team did what they could and Disney customer care seems able to see what they need to see to process the reservation.
When you use the web form, it gets automatically entered into Hilton's proprietary message system. It doesn't matter if someone is answering the phone. Using this method ensure that the question/complaint/compliment gets transmitted to the hotel. It also creates an internal "paper trail" with dates and times to Hilton Customer Service and Hilton Corporate can view.

It's a method that takes longer than a phone call, but it does ensure that the message gets delivered to the hotel.

Although, it sounds like the issue has been resolved.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: