FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hampton Inn vs Home2 Suites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2014973-hampton-inn-vs-home2-suites.html)

COEWR2587 Apr 2, 2020 7:12 pm

Hampton Inn vs Home2 Suites

I’ve stayed in Hampton Inn a few times but never Home2 Suites.

How do the studio suites at Hampton Inn compare to the “suites” at Home2 Suites as well as breakfast compare?

miasmal Apr 3, 2020 5:09 am

Studio suites at Hampton are just slightly bigger rooms with an elongated desk. The standard suites at Home2 have a separate bedroom and living area (unless you pick a studio room, in which case you get a combined room). The breakfast is mainly the same.

Cledaybuck Apr 3, 2020 7:18 am

I don't like Home2 because of the reduced earning. It really shouldn't be a big deal, but it annoys the hell out of me.

serpens Apr 3, 2020 8:47 am

Originally Posted by miasmal (Post 32259975)
The breakfast is mainly the same.

To each his or her own. I consider the Home2 breakfast far inferior to Hampton's, and I'm no fan of Hampton breakfasts. This is based on only one (multiple night) stay at Home2, so I could have gotten a dud.

MissJ Apr 3, 2020 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 32260198)
I don't like Home2 because of the reduced earning. It really shouldn't be a big deal, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Same. I am still sore about it since it made me delay my diamond earning one year. It was a long time ago and I didn't realize it earned at the reduced rate. I calculated that I would qualify on that stay but did not. I had a big foreign stay coming up right after that and wanted to check in as diamond. Oh well. Lesson learned.

smmrfld Apr 3, 2020 10:00 am

The breakfast at the Home2 in Montebello, CA was much better than standard Hampton fare, IMO, including breakfast items from Porto's.

aztimm Apr 3, 2020 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal (Post 32259975)
The breakfast is mainly the same.

I've only stayed at one Home2, and the breakfast was just a bunch of frozen things that you had to put in the microwave. You could get them at a supermarket and do it yourself.

While I'm not a big fan of Hampton, at least the breakfast is fairly consistent.

miasmal Apr 3, 2020 1:22 pm

I meant to say the quality is mainly the same. Hampton - powdered scrambled eggs or 'omelettes', sausage, bacon, potato/hash brown nuggets, cereal, waffle maker. They've also started adding smoothies. Home2 - microwaved breakfast sandwiches (bagel or biscuit), cereal, waffle maker. If you just want sausage for instance, you have to heat up the entire sandwich and toss the bagel/biscuit, which is wasteful.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Apr 3, 2020 6:02 pm

I'm dairy-allergic, so the Home2 breakfast blows. Everything is prepackaged, so I have to dissect every little sandwich or burrito/bowl/whatever. Which is impossible after heating/melting cheese, and a pain at best prior. No matter which way I've heated those things, the microwave consistently leaves cold spots and overcooked portions of the breakfast foods.

When it comes to breakfast, TRU is actually way better than H2S, and possibly better than some Hamptons, in my opinion.

That said, I like the H2S rooms just fine. Lots of room, functional, good TVs (as you'd expect, newer properties would have modern options). Hamptons are boring rooms with old decor. Maybe that doesn't matter for functionality, but I enjoy both the H2S decor and usefulness of storage and such as compared to Hamptons.

I just stayed in Cabo last month at a really nice Hampton though: There's certainly great Hamps out there.

UAzip Apr 4, 2020 11:37 am

One advantage of the heat-and-eat Home2 breakfast items is that you can take extra one day and put them in your fridge for late-night snacks or the next day's breakfast without leaving the room. :D The reduced earnings is a bummer though.

OskiBear Apr 4, 2020 10:56 pm

I actually like the layout in Home2 better than Hamptons (and I'm a huge Hampton fan). Unless you get a new or recently remodeled Hampton, the Home2's are typically very new, clean and in good order. The half-earning blows, though.

Bliebs1977 Apr 8, 2020 12:11 pm

Home2 and Tru both have reduced point earnings?

sdsearch Apr 8, 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal (Post 32261278)
I meant to say the quality is mainly the same. Hampton - powdered scrambled eggs or 'omelettes', sausage, bacon, potato/hash brown nuggets, cereal, waffle maker. They've also started adding smoothies. Home2 - microwaved breakfast sandwiches (bagel or biscuit), cereal, waffle maker. If you just want sausage for instance, you have to heat up the entire sandwich and toss the bagel/biscuit, which is wasteful.

You forgot to mention that Hampton also has "real" (un-powdered) hard-boiled eggs, which is the only kind of eggs I want at Hampton.

Does Home2 have anything to compare to that? :confused:

DELee Apr 8, 2020 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bliebs1977 (Post 32276194)
Home2 and Tru both have reduced point earnings?

From: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...mber-benefits/

David

zappy312 Apr 10, 2020 11:18 am

I don't like the synthetic sheets at Tru or Home2, so that's my biggest gripe. Tru definitely felt like a step down from Hampton, a bit tacky almost. I'd probably stay at either property again if I'm looking for a cheap room but would choose Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn first without question.