Occupancy taxes on long stays

Old Mar 18, 20, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Occupancy taxes on long stays

I have been at Homewood Suites going on 4 months and was told by someone yesterday that I should have been credited for my taxes paid here. I asked a nice girl at the front desk, but she didnít know anything about it. Is this actually true? I am in CA
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a matter of state law. You may be due a refund from the property or you may need to file for a refund with the state. Generally, this is handled in advance so that the tax collection stops at the appropriate date.

Is there any chance that you checked out and then checked back in and thus restarted the clock?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

They have checked me in/out periodically due to rate changes. I am not exactly sure why, but on my account itís all listed as one continuous stay.
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michele Thompson View Post
They have checked me in/out periodically due to rate changes. I am not exactly sure why, but on my account itís all listed as one continuous stay.
How Hilton handles it probably has no affect how The State will. If your CC has been charged I assume (dont know for sure) that The State will consider it as if you left and came back and thusly under a 30 day consecutive stay = taxes will be collected and owed. Many programs wont give you any Stay or Night credit if a stay is over 30 days, by being checked in and out it may fool the computer, have you gotten full credit till now? fwiw, most programs consider a stay to be 1 Stay as long as you are there day in and out even if you have been checked in and out, as long as there hasnt been 1 night in between the checking out and back in again
Michele Thompson likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
You should check with a manager or other person at the hotel. Iirc, the California Transient Occupancy Tax may require an agreement before the stay begins for the exemption to apply.
See:
Hotel Stay Over 30 Days Tax Refund?
https://sco.ca.gov/Files-ARD-Tax-Inf..._chapter13.pdf
https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/civic...x?BlobID=17425
https://ttc.lacounty.gov/tot/
Old Mar 19, 20, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by craz View Post
If your CC has been charged I assume (dont know for sure) that The State will consider it as if you left and came back and thusly under a 30 day consecutive stay = taxes will be collected and owed.
I worked in two different states (although neither was California). The state doesn't get involved in payments. The only thing they care about is whether the housing unit was occupied for more than X days. For example, if you have an apartment lease for 6 months, the state doesn't care if you pay your landlord daily, weekly, or monthly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: