Hilton won't let me cancel!

Old Mar 16, 20, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Hilton won't let me cancel!

I was hosting a dinner event in Sioux Falls, SD. attendees cancelled due to the Covid 19 fears and the large conference was also cancelled. Hilton is charging me $1200 and citing no force majeure. clearly i cant control the virus and what people will do, but they have got to grant some leniency here. i am very disturbed by this greedy policy.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You don't have a problem with "Hilton". You have a problem with the contract you signed with a specific hotel in Sioux Falls, SD...

Events have very little to do with the hotel chain or the loyalty programme.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
You should probably look to the event agreement or contract you signed with the property as to who is responsible for the costs on cancellation. The liberal room cancellation policies that hilton has issued do not appear to apply to the booking of events.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
You state you cant control the virus or what people do, yet you expect Hilton to. Reality we are all beyond lucky how much the airlines and hotels are doing with refunds and credits in general. This incident is fully out of their control yet they are taking a lot of the hit. Your mistake is not charging your attendees who canceled.
lougord99, wizla and BearX220 like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A "dinner event" is a business, not a consumer, transaction and it is presumably governed by a written contract which lays out the terms, if any, under which it may be cancelled. Hilton has made a decision to deal leniently with consumers. But, when it comes to a business transaction, there is no argument for Hilton to accept all of the risk.

What does the contract say? Without that information, nobody here can provide you with any information.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:29 pm

Is this something you'd be willing to reschedule? Perhaps they'd be willing to offer a credit or partial credit for future booking?
DiverDave and trooper like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava View Post
You state you cant control the virus or what people do, yet you expect Hilton to. Reality we are all beyond lucky how much the airlines and hotels are doing with refunds and credits in general. This incident is fully out of their control yet they are taking a lot of the hit. Your mistake is not charging your attendees who canceled.
LOL I am sorry but what?! We are all beyond lucky that corporations that bring in multiple million, billion dollar profits are doing refunds (which most are not) and credits (where they preserve their cash on hand, thereby making a hedged bet that customers who may NOT redeem the credits before expiry and they can pocket the money)?? Absolutely not.

I am willing to bet Hilton doesn’t want to be responsible for aggravating the outbreak already occurring in Sioux Falls.

OP, you can and should push back on this. I would be emailing Hilton leadership at the regional and, if necessary, national level and citing guidance from the city, state, and White House - especially if you would theoretically have multiple out of town attendees. I doubt you would get a refund, but I would request a credit towards a rescheduled event.
Old Mar 16, 20, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold
And now we have Hilton’s one hit wonder. OP go back to the contract YOU signed and see what it says there. None of us could have imagined COVID-19 but a contract is a contract. Also since the roads and airports are open your attendees could have come. They made the choice not to—again. Not Hilton’s fault.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 2:48 pm

My company is dealing with pretty much every event being produced cancelling. Google Next, Workday Sales Conference, WWDC. We are negotiating with all hotel brands and they are generally speaking being cooperative as long as we reschedule for later in the year. Force majeure may help if your state has declared a "state of emergency." If it has not then FM is not enforceable.
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:00 pm

Hilton leaves decisions about cancelled events (and room blocks associated with them) to properties. But it has provided them with legal information on the 'impossibility' clauses in most Hilton contracts. Declaration of a state of emergency or a government recommendation not to meet in groups of more than 10 people will generally not allow an event host (or participant) to rely on Hilton's Force majeure clause. Generally Hilton defines them within the contract as "impossibility' clauses. They will allow penalty-free cancellation if it is physically impossible or illegal to hold an event. Examples of impossibility: the hotel falls down or the only road to it is on fire. In order for an event to be illegal a government must make an enforceable ban on events. Events in countries, states, counties or cities that have made gatherings illegal (not merely inadvisable) would qualify. Examples would be Italy, and the California cities and counties that have issued "shelter in place" orders.

If you cannot meet either of those standards, then you may try to negotiate re-booking for a later date. Some hotels are allowing that for a fixed future date and will apply deposits to the cancelled event to the new one. Others are offering to apply 50% of the deposits and some offer no credit for a future event.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: