FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   What to do for the Kentucky Derby? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2013207-what-do-kentucky-derby.html)

cchamb32 Mar 16, 2020 12:14 pm

What to do for the Kentucky Derby?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, I created this account because I haven't seen this specific question asked in the other threads. I am going to the Kentucky Derby this year, and it is at risk of being postponed due to COVID-19. Since it is speculative at this point if/when Derby will be postponed, does anyone see anything wrong with booking the flex rate for every weekend from May through August in hopes of scoring the lowest possible rate, then canceling the dates I am not traveling when plans become more concrete? I am sure rates will skyrocket and availability will dwindle on the newly announced dates. TIA

Sisosig Mar 16, 2020 12:40 pm

What a terribly annoying plan. I hope - if more people start doing this - that the hotel still exists by the time the Derby is held.

craz Mar 16, 2020 1:41 pm

I think its a great plan as long as your end goal is to have Hilton Ban you from their program and ever staying with them again and not just the hotel/s you book

Then again who says it wont be runned on time, only as many other venues lately w/o anyone in attendance

craigthemif Mar 16, 2020 4:13 pm

I really don't think that a springtime horse race is the type of thing that one just postpones to the summer in Kentucky. Besides the fact that you train elite thoroughbreds to peak at a certain time with warm up races, etc. None of which works with a simple postponement of who knows how long of the entire racing calendar...

It's not happening. Don't waste your time.

priyarainelle Mar 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Replying without judgment.

Are there online forums where people congregate to discuss the derby? If you are paying attention, you should hear some rumblings about what the possible new dates could be before they are officially announced.

When the NBA cancelled the All Star Weekend in Charlotte over the bathroom bill, I booked hotel rooms in the cities that were rumored to be considered as an alternative location. When they made it official in New Orleans, I cancelled all but the one I wanted to keep.

I’m not sure I would book every weekend at a hotel due to the risk of having your card pre-authorized for many of them at a random time, or flagged for suspicious activity by the hotel, etc.

csufabel Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Churchill Downs will have a press conference on Tuesday morning at 9 am Eastern to discuss the Oaks and Derby.

Mwenenzi Mar 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 32194936)
I really don't think that a springtime horse race is the type of thing that one just postpones to the summer in Kentucky. Besides the fact that you train elite thoroughbreds to peak at a certain time with warm up races, etc. None of which works with a simple postponement of who knows how long of the entire racing calendar...

It's not happening. Don't waste your time.

Originally Posted by csufabel (Post 32195398)
Churchill Downs will have a press conference on Tuesday morning at 9 am Eastern to discuss the Oaks and Derby.

In Australia, at this time, horse racing is continuing without on course spectators. Only TV crews. But that may change.

craz Mar 16, 2020 7:30 pm

seems like its gonna be Sept 5th, and many hotels are already soldout for that weekend or extremely expensive.

OP would have had a tremendous mess on their hands had they done what they proposed