Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton by Hilton Torbay {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hampton by Hilton Torbay {GBR}

Just noticed this one pop up on Hilton’s website, not much information yet but a great addition to one of the nicest parts of the uk coastline.
delinquentwoody and :D! like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Is this definitely going ahead now as was due to be started couple of years ago - but then planning turned down and I thought Hilton had pulled out as not heard any more about it (am local-ish). Would be good to have another option down here.
Link from when it was first suggested in 2018.
https://www.devonlive.com/news/hilto...opment-1751760

On another thought - wonder how Hampton Exeter Airport is going to go - as most of the rooms were pre-booked by flybe since it was built - and they recently - well couple of years - built a complete new wing same size as original hotel.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by wizla
Just noticed this one pop up on Hilton’s website, not much information yet but a great addition to one of the nicest parts of the uk coastline.
Opening June 2020
wizla likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Bit of a more in depth review as it is the first one.

The hotel is obviously brand new which is great. The staff are all really helpful and friendly. I saw two rooms during my stay which made me think that all the basic rooms are the same. They are to the latest Hampton design, with large TVs and some nice sea side themed pictures etc. They only seem to vary by bed type and view. The views range from ground floor rooms facing a very dull inner courtyard to nice views of the harbour on the correct side of the higher floors.

The ground floor lobby is nicely done with hot food and a bar available throughout the day.

The breakfast is served from a fairly large area. Hotel options are bacon, sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, beans and mushrooms. There are also pastries, yoghurts, toast and a few cold options. Breakfast does get a bit busy after 9am.

I booked a King room with City Centre and Harbour view. I was allocated room 324 which was a great room on its own in the corner with a good harbour view (although it is the same size and same size window as other rooms, so I wouldn’t fret too much if you are given another room). I assume 424 is directly above and also good. Some TripAdvisor reviews mention noise from building work across The Terrace but as I was on the other side of the building I didn’t notice this

As a diamond 2x bottled water, snack and a gift (a pin badge), were in the room on arrival with a welcome note.

There is access (if you have a key card or app key card) from harbour level via a lift accessed from Torwood Street. Otherwise access is from The Terrace.

As the hotel car park notes the hotel’s own car park is still under construction. If driving you will need to use the Torbay Council Harbour car park. Currently access is from Museum Road so the right post code is TQ1 1DW, not the post code on the hotel or the council website.

The pay machines only accept coins. You can pay using RingGo app but the max stay is set to 24 hours, so you must be sure to reset it then if staying longer.

There is also a 4 day permit available for £24 which works across most Torbay Council car parks. Unfortunately payment repeatedly failed for me online. However I was able to buy one in the end from another car park with a credit card machine (details of where here, but my experience is that three day should read four: https://www.torbay.gov.uk/roads/park...-park-permits/).

If arriving by rail Torquay station is just over a mile away along the sea front. So I would recommend a taxi or bus from there.

If you have a car the hotel makes a good base for a range of south Devon attractions.

I paid around £95 a night, although rates can go north of £200. At the upper end points redemptions, capped at 40k make sense. At £200+ it is a lot to pay for a Hampton, albeit a really decent one and it is good to have another UK sea side option.
Finally I never managed to track down the palm tree growing through the roof.

Edit:- one other thing. The room air conditioning is effective but the control is fiddly. Settings the temperature alone will not turn it on, you also need to press the very small on/off button on the top of the control so that ON show on the screen.

Last edited by lcylocal; Jul 21, 2021 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcylocal

The hotel is obviously brand new which is great. The staff are all really helpful and friendly. I saw two rooms during my stay which made me think that all the basic rooms are the same. They are to the latest Hampton design, with large TVs and some nice sea side themed pictures etc. They only seem to vary by bed type and view. The views range from ground floor rooms facing a very dull inner courtyard to nice views of the harbour on the correct side of the higher floors.

The ground floor lobby is nicely done with hot food and a bar available throughout the day.

The breakfast is served from a fairly large area. Hotel options are bacon, sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, beans and mushrooms. There are also pastries, yoghurts, toast and a few cold options. Breakfast does get a bit busy after 9am.

I booked a King room with City Centre and Harbour view. I was allocated room 324 which was a great room on its own in the corner with a good harbour view (although it is the same size and same size window as other rooms, so I wouldn’t fret too much if you are given another room). I assume 424 is directly above and also good. Some TripAdvisor reviews mention noise from building work across The Terrace but as I was on the other side of the building I didn’t notice this

As a diamond 2x bottled water, snack and a gift (a pin badge), were in the room on arrival with a welcome note.

There is access (if you have a key card or app key card) from harbour level via a lift accessed from Torwood Street. Otherwise access is from The Terrace.

As the hotel car park notes the hotel’s own car park is still under construction. If driving you will need to use the Torbay Council Harbour car park. Currently access is from Museum Road so the right post code is TQ1 1DW, not the post code on the hotel or the council website.

The pay machines only accept coins. You can pay using RingGo app but the max stay is set to 24 hours, so you must be sure to reset it then if staying longer.

There is also a 4 day permit available for £24 which works across most Torbay Council car parks. Unfortunately payment repeatedly failed for me online. However I was able to buy one in the end from another car park with a credit card machine (details of where here, but my experience is that three day should read four: https://www.torbay.gov.uk/roads/park...-park-permits/).

If arriving by rail Torquay station is just over a mile away along the sea front. So I would recommend a taxi or bus from there.

If you have a car the hotel makes a good base for a range of south Devon attractions.

I paid around £95 a night, although rates can go north of £200. At the upper end points redemptions, capped at 40k make sense. At £200+ it is a lot to pay for a Hampton, albeit a really decent one and it is good to have another UK sea side option.
Finally I never managed to track down the palm tree growing through the roof.

Edit:- one other thing. The room air conditioning is effective but the control is fiddly. Settings the temperature alone will not turn it on, you also need to press the very small on/off button on the top of the control so that ON show on the screen.

Even though it was myself who started this thread I completely forgot about this one…..looks nice!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: Ihg diamond ambassador hilton gold
Passed this in may on way back to Exeter hampton inn. Looks in a good spot but prices were sky high compared to the 55 we paid up the coast. Will keep an eye on it
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal

Do they have the Smeg fridges in the rooms here?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Do they have the Smeg fridges in the rooms here?
No they are a standard fridge in a cupboard. But they seem to work well enough once switched on and cooled down (hotel seems to leave them off by default to save electricity).

I found the tree, it’s at the harbour side entrance:

richardhall99 and oxfordjames like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Here currently.

Booked a king room.

Initially given the room of another Diamond member. Was told it had a view. It didn't.

Then given a Queen bed with a 'view'.

Then given a third room with a king bed.

Of course by then anything half decent had been allocated.

Bit disappointed as I spoke to someone at 11am regarding the best place for a blue badge holder to park. He said at that time that he would allocate a nice room and took my surname. He failed to do so.

Staying on points as Hilton rate is £293 per night!

Incidentally a king with a view is still for sale at £322 but they refused to allocate such a room claiming that they do not have one. How can it be for sale?

Not sure if they are hoping people will pay this rate.

Maybe I am tired, but expect better.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Here currently.

Booked a king room.

Initially given the room of another Diamond member. Was told it had a view. It didn't.

Then given a Queen bed with a 'view'.

Then given a third room with a king bed.

Of course by then anything half decent had been allocated.

Bit disappointed as I spoke to someone at 11am regarding the best place for a blue badge holder to park. He said at that time that he would allocate a nice room and took my surname. He failed to do so.

Staying on points as Hilton rate is £293 per night!

Incidentally a king with a view is still for sale at £322 but they refused to allocate such a room claiming that they do not have one. How can it be for sale?

Not sure if they are hoping people will pay this rate.

Maybe I am tired, but expect better.
That’s a bit crazy isn’t it, £293 for a Hampton!……. I have a gig to do in Bristol next month and the doubletree is £249, I simply cannot justify that so I’m in the Novotel.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

40,000 points tonight - can't justify £300!
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Then I see thick dust on the luggage rack.

I question the cleanliness.

I then see bad brown stains from a previous guest on my hand towel

I then find a pair of socks from a previous guest.

This is a £300 a night room!

The duty manager says I will email you and give you some points back.

Did I hear anything - did I heck!

Very disappointed.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Then I see thick dust on the luggage rack.

I question the cleanliness.

I then see bad brown stains from a previous guest on my hand towel

I then find a pair of socks from a previous guest.

This is a £300 a night room!

The duty manager says I will email you and give you some points back.

Did I hear anything - did I heck!

Very disappointed.
”some” points back?? Demand a full refund! This is totally unacceptable for any amount of points or money. And if management doesn’t budge write to the diamond desk, or last resort Tripadvisor that will make them spring into action.
:D!, enviroian and wizla like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Of course I haven't heard back from the hotel yet.

In the discussion with the duty manager it was clear that they do not upgrade Diamonds to better rooms with a view etc., before arrival.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Of course I haven't heard back from the hotel yet.
Nor will you because they are obviously useless.

Did you send a PM to Hilton twitter account? They have been very responsive. Nothing short of a full refund is due. Also be sure to include the names of these yahoo employees.

Unacceptable!
wizla likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.