Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton’s Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) [updated in post #146]

Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

HILTON’S COMMITMENT TO YOU, OUR GUESTS, AS WE NAVIGATE THROUGH CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) (25 Mar 2020) — link

As it has always been, the safety and security of our guests and team members remains our highest priority. We are doing everything we can to ensure your travel safety and provide maximum flexibility as the situation around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve.

We will continue to update this page as with the latest information regarding booking flexibility, Hilton Honors membership Points and Status, supporting our communities and workforce, and travel safety.

Your Travel Flexibility – Updated as of March 25, 2020

We have made additional adjustments to our modification and cancellation policies to provide you with maximum flexibility while travel remains restricted in many parts of the world.
  • Existing Reservations. All individual reservations—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
  • New Reservations. Any individual reservations you make—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are booked between today and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.

If you cancel a rate which required an advanced payment or deposit, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Due to the influx of cancellations, it may take up to 30 days to complete your request. If you need to adjust reservations made via the Hilton website, app or call center, you can change your reservation here or contact the Hilton Guest Assistance team. If you need to adjust reservations made through another travel site, please contact them for assistance.

Your Hilton Honors Points and Status – Updated as of March 25, 2020

We know that earning and using points is not possible for many of you right now, so we are making a number of adjustments to help you maintain your status and points across the remainder of 2020.
  • 2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
  • 2020 Status Extension. We are extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
  • Points Extension. We will pause the expiration of all Points scheduled to expire between now and December 31, 2020.
  • Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. We have extended the expiration date of all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021).

Hilton Honors Experiences

We are monitoring all active Experiences to ensure the safety of our members and provide maximum flexibility. For more information as it relates to event cancellations and Point refunds, please visit our FAQs page.

OTHER

• Donating Hilton Honors Points. We have made it possible for our members to donate Hilton Honors Points to World Central Kitchen, Clean the World, Project Hope or Direct Relief. All Points donations will be converted into cash and sent directly to the organization.

COVID-19 has created unprecedented challenges for our industry, our hotels and our Team Members. While we have done all we can to limit changes for our people, without a traveling public we simply have fewer guests to welcome. As a result, we have suspended operations at many of our hotels and made the difficult decision to furlough some of our hotel Team Members. I am pleased to share that we are partnering with a number of companies looking to quickly expand their workforce, and that our incredibly talented Team Members will experience an expedited application process across many of these temporary opportunities.

We will continue to regularly update our COVID-19 page with our most up to date information. Our team is available to assist you day or night should you have any questions, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Print Wikipost

Hilton’s Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) [updated in post #146]

Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Email just received from Hilton re free night awards:

I wanted to follow up on the recent
message you received from our CEO, Chris Nassetta. In addition to the enhancements Hilton communicated, we are extending the expiration date of the Weekend Night Reward(s) you earned as a Hilton Honors American Express Card Member.

We appreciate that you choose to travel with us and want to make sure you have the flexibility you need to enjoy the rewards you’ve earned.

For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems.

We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels.
ABQ Jon likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Casimir
Wow, hilarious! Thanks for being so helpful!
Be sure not to renew when the annual fee for your Amex Aspire comes due. It is great that they gave away the first year fee free a few months back.

I am currently staying at a Hilton. The management has been fantastic. The increased attention to cleanliness is noticeable. Hilton has really stepped up this time, at least in my experience.

Last edited by GarlicFlyer; Mar 14, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Be sure not to renew when the annual fee for your Amex Aspire comes due. It is great that they gave away the first year fee free a few months back.

I am currently staying at a Hilton. The management has been fantastic. The increased attention to cleanliness is noticeable. Hilton has really stepped up this time, at least in my experience.

Thanks for additional helpful advice!! I appreciate you taking the time!!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I had an Advance Purchase reservation at the Hilton Brussels Grand Place, because of an event at the EU Commission.

Unsurprisingly, the event now got canceled. Based on Hilton's policy, I called the number provided there. Took about half an hour to get through to an agent and explain the situation. I was then put on hold for another few minutes. Afterwards, without any additional word from the agent, the hotel itself was on the line. I explained my cancellation wish again to them, and referenced the official Hilton policy. The hotel agent said that "they would have to look into it" and started talking about which country I would be traveling from etc.. When I said, no, the policy applies to all reservations, he again said they would "look into it" and I would hear the next day at the latest. That was several days ago. The reservation still exists.

Disappointing how this is being handled.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I had an Advance Purchase reservation at the Hilton Brussels Grand Place, because of an event at the EU Commission.

Unsurprisingly, the event now got canceled. Based on Hilton's policy, I called the number provided there. Took about half an hour to get through to an agent and explain the situation. I was then put on hold for another few minutes. Afterwards, without any additional word from the agent, the hotel itself was on the line. I explained my cancellation wish again to them, and referenced the official Hilton policy. The hotel agent said that "they would have to look into it" and started talking about which country I would be traveling from etc.. When I said, no, the policy applies to all reservations, he again said they would "look into it" and I would hear the next day at the latest. That was several days ago. The reservation still exists.

If you made your reservation with Hilton directly, your check in date is no later than 30 April 2020, you made the cancellation request on 12 March or later, but no later than 11:59 pm on the day before your scheduled check in, and your booking is not part of group (a.k.a. block of rooms, you will be fine. If there was a special rate for the conference you were going to, things look gloomier.

Last edited by retiredfromhilton; Mar 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm Reason: completeness
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Football Fan

Email the hotel and state the policy. Further, if they charge your card you will do a charge back dispute with your credit card company. Also contact the Hilton Representative on here.

It's redicious hotels are behaving in this manner.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
Perhaps if you could mention being diamond one more time, it would help.
.......which reminds me of all all-time favorite DYKWIA post

Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Does anyone know if Hilton are extending status and if so for how long?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I am having the same issue with the same hotel! Hilton Brussels Grand Palace.

I completed what I was asked to do at hilton.com to cancel this reservation. I never received a confirmation email though. But it did state this may take awhile. I then courtesy I emailed the hotel to explain to them that I cancelled due to not being able to get to Europe. The reservations manager emailed me back and said basically, no sorry, you can't cancel this one.

I then emailed him back citing the policy with screen shots. Asked to please cancel and refund. Have not heard back. Will give him until Tuesday to respond , then will just deal with corporate. Uhg. Don't make things more difficult people.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Casimir
I had an event cancelled in Washington DC this past week because of the coronavirus scare. I had reservations at a Hampton Inn in Virginia and at the Madison Hotel in DC as part of this trip I called the Diamond line and cancelled the reservations as soon as the event was cancelled.

I've now been charged one night penalty for each reservation, ironically on my Hilton Amex Aspire Card. Neither reservation was advance purchase, but both had passed the time to cancel without penalty. I would not have cancelled but for the event cancellation due to coronavirus.

Apparently, in being loyal using my Hilton card, I don't have automatic trip cancellation insurance which my other credit cards provide.

I'm a Hilton Diamond, and when I called about the charges I was told that Hilton's"policy" is to charge penalties for cancelled reservations before the President's recent speech.

My policy is not to do business with a company that is ripping off customers as part of a worldwide pandemic. Shame on you Hilton. Shame, shame, shame.

Spare the "apologies it's our policy." Change the policy, or be the company that chooses to profit off a health crisis. If the latter, this Diamond won't soon forget your corporate greed.
You might have better luck if you knocked off the Diamond attitude nonsense and just focused on your issue.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Staying at a HGI in FLL and did not get housekeeping in the room yesterday or today. Called down for some clean towels and was told servicing the rooms daily has been suspended due to coronavirus. Had not heard of this before.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
.......which reminds me of all all-time favorite DYKWIA post

https://youtu.be/WCqm4H3m3Ew
​​​​​​
Wow, very helpful, thanks for your help and concern!
Sisosig likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
You might have better luck if you knocked off the Diamond attitude nonsense and just focused on your issue.
Excellent advice, thank you 👍.

One small correction, however. In dealing directly with Hilton I never uttered the word "Diamond." So, with respect, I indeed actually followed your helpful suggestion that I not mention my status with Hilton when dealing with Hilton, and they nevertheless treated me with disdain.

​​I do apologize to everyone who seems offended by the mention of status with Hilton when outlining a problem with Hilton. I won't do it again!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Boringbarry
just want to be sure, this cancellation policy should apply to 'Honors Discount Advance Purchase' rates as well?
Sounds like it should but just want to be sure since they only call out "Advance Purchase" in the email
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Boringbarry
Sounds like it should but just want to be sure since they only call out "Advance Purchase" in the email
Yes, I cancelled two planned stays booked under 'Honors Discount Advance Purchase' rates.
I used the chat and it took few minutes. Fully refunded within 7/10 days
Boringbarry likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.