Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Family MVP Rate -- 2020 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 3, 20, 2:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: cblaisd
Wiki Link
FEBRUARY 6, 2020 UPDATE

Loyalty Lobby has reported and the FlyerTalk Hilton Honors Ambassador has confirmed that MVP rates can no longer be booked via the MVP website without the required association with targeted sports programs.

ARCHIVES FOR PREVIOUS MVP THREADS ARE HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...?highlight=mvp

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...?highlight=mvp
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 20, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I'm a high school teacher and coach. I always carry my state's high school athletic association ID card. I'm assuming this would count as an affiliation?
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by OnceARunner View Post
I'm a high school teacher and coach. I always carry my state's high school athletic association ID card. I'm assuming this would count as an affiliation?
I'd guess that would be fine in 100% of any cases of someone asking for it. In the 25+ nights I've used the MVP rate, I have yet to be asked for any association ID. I do have one if ever asked though.
Old Jan 16, 20, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Recently, I've looked for reservations using the hiltonfamilymvp.com site, found a good rate, and when I clicked through to the hotel getting a notice "the rate you selected isn't available" and a higher rate offered. Is there a lot of that going around or am I just lucky?
Old Jan 16, 20, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OnceARunner View Post
The t&c's just say "sports affiliation ID". That could be anything. Many here take it to mean even joining a sports association would work. Since they rarely ask for ID we don't have a good sense of what wouldn't work. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen a report of any ID being turned away.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by sethb View Post
Recently, I've looked for reservations using the hiltonfamilymvp.com site, found a good rate, and when I clicked through to the hotel getting a notice "the rate you selected isn't available" and a higher rate offered. Is there a lot of that going around or am I just lucky?
I've had no problems with https://stay.hilton.com/mvp/. But as you probably know, mvp rates aren't available all of the time, especially if the hotel is getting full.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
A reminder, always keep checking for better prices. We had a MVP rate of $154 at SF Financial District Feb 1-3; it just dropped to $125. They treat Diamonds ok, high floor, Coit Tower view, decent lounge - they also let us eat breakfast in the restaurant, much better food choices than upstairs.
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by sethb View Post
I have noticed similar failings. Here on FlyerTalk, I was told to enable showing accessible rooms to see the MVP rate. In my experience, this sometimes works and usually doesn't.

Originally Posted by zachary View Post
I've had no problems with https://stay.hilton.com/mvp/.
When I tried it, the first address (hiltonfamilymvp.com) opened the second address (https://stay.hilton.com/mvp/).
Old Jan 19, 20, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've noticed that Hilton brand all of a sudden now has a disclaimer of sports membership required at booking and check-in. This is new at hotels where I've never run across it before. I suspect that there may be a reminder on the clerk's screen to check for membership. We'll see.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I've noticed that Hilton brand all of a sudden now has a disclaimer of sports membership required at booking and check-in. This is new at hotels where I've never run across it before. I suspect that there may be a reminder on the clerk's screen to check for membership. We'll see.
So, I signed up for a free membership at a local sports club. No physical card but an email confirming my membership. It basically entitles me to participate in their paid sports sessions. My question is... if asked, would the membership email confirmation count?
Old Jan 19, 20, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well crap. Almost every upcoming reservation I have is an MVP rate. I guess I'll have to renew my USGA membership, or do you think holding my finger over the expiration date will do?
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Well crap. Almost every upcoming reservation I have is an MVP rate. I guess I'll have to renew my USGA membership, or do you think holding my finger over the expiration date will do?
Since it appears Hilton is going through the trouble of adding terminology into every booking, I wouldn't chance the finger thing.

T&C's state:
As a valued, coach, leader or participant of group travel for sports...
Please note: You must be an athletic administrator, athlete, or affiliated with a sports entity, sports-related company, sports group or event to be eligible. You will be asked to show credentials, such as an official business card designated with your team logo, etc.

My interpretation of "affiliated with a sports entity" would cover membership in any sports association (such as USGA, USTA, etc). Of course that's my reading, so it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when they start checking IDs. And if one reads the final part re team logo - it can be argued my interpretation is incorrect and they really meant this rate for coaches, leaders and participants of teams (so not membership in USGA, etc).
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:57 pm

Two weeks ago at the Hilton ORD, I was asked to show a card - first time ever. Fortunately, I had my card in my wallet.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bamboola View Post
Two weeks ago at the Hilton ORD, I was asked to show a card - first time ever. Fortunately, I had my card in my wallet.
What card/membership did you show?
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Anyone had USGA questioned ("I'm not sure this qualifies..." eventually backing down), if not outright rejected?
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Anyone had USGA questioned ("I'm not sure this qualifies..." eventually backing down), if not outright rejected?
I got my USGA card in 2016 when this brouhaha started and in 4 years I've never, ever been asked for it. I know things are different now (but I'd like to see more DP's of ID actually being requested). In the meantime I did switch all my reservations over to either AAA or AARP (very lucky I'm old), only one was more than a minimal difference, and that one I cancelled and booked a Marriott instead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: