Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - does Hilton waive nonrefundable bookings?

Old Feb 22, 20, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Due to the coronavirus situation in East Asia, would Hilton provide refunds for non refundable bookings ?

I made a couple of nonrefundable bookings for Korea and Japan but now those places have so many virus cases.

Tks
Old Feb 22, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
"Hilton" will not provide refunds. You can certainly contact the hotels directly and they may be willing to provide a refund.
HawaiiO and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I just cancelled Okinawa as a non refundable rate via hilton customer services and they refunded it. They are being flexible.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
"Hilton" will not provide refunds. You can certainly contact the hotels directly and they may be willing to provide a refund.
This is not true for Hilton Advance Purchase reservations and most prepaid third-party reservations. The funds are not at the hotel, and most times it is not at the discretion of the hotel to return them to you.

Hilton Advance Purchase is an entire department within Hilton and they have power to refund without consulting the hotel. Similarly, third parties can also choose not to consult the hotel and refuse a refund, regardless of the hotel's willingness to do so.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I've never asked for a refund, but many times have received a credit to be used against a stay at a later date. From memory I've done this at the following hotels:

- Conrad Hong Kong
- Hilton Singapore
- Hilton Sydney
- Hilton Brisbane
Old Feb 22, 20, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

If u ask for a credit, do u contact the hotel directly or Hilton desk?

Thanks

Originally Posted by shillard View Post
I've never asked for a refund, but many times have received a credit to be used against a stay at a later date. From memory I've done this at the following hotels:

- Conrad Hong Kong
- Hilton Singapore
- Hilton Sydney
- Hilton Brisbane
Old Feb 22, 20, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post

Thanks
It depends on where you booked. For Hilton Advanced Purchase, you would contact Hilton Reservations. For third party, you'd contact the third party. There are very, very few prepaid reservations that the hotel directly collects money from you.
Old Feb 22, 20, 11:03 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, HH Gold
seems like hilton only waiving Greater China for now, but no harm asking.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 1:15 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.

Thanks
I've always emailed the hotel directly, explained the circumstances and asked for refund or credit for future stay.

100% success.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Called the Conrad Centennial Singapore and they allowed me to cancel a non-refundable booking penalty-free.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 10:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by iknowthings View Post
This is not true for Hilton Advance Purchase reservations and most prepaid third-party reservations. The funds are not at the hotel, and most times it is not at the discretion of the hotel to return them to you.

Hilton Advance Purchase is an entire department within Hilton and they have power to refund without consulting the hotel. Similarly, third parties can also choose not to consult the hotel and refuse a refund, regardless of the hotel's willingness to do so.
This is incorrect except for Hiltons in the US, and the question applies to hotels outside the US.

Outside the US, hotels will charge the card number given on booking themselves, which may happen any time between booking and check-out, though usually shortly after booking. Therefore, Hilton is unable to provide a refund except by asking the hotel to do so on your behalf.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 4:23 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
Hilton KL have refused to offer a credit or change of dates
Old Feb 23, 20, 11:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Interesting. In March I have a 'member sale room only' rate in Tokyo, and two 'honors discount advance purchase' rates in Osaka/Narita. Only the Tokyo one has posted (months ago), whereas the Osaka/Narita ones ... not yet despite the reservation being barely a month from now.

Still on the fence whether to go ahead with the trip or not, I think it depends a lot on whether the cruise ship passengers end up causing wider community transmissions in the next week or so, and whether the three Hiltons will refund my money
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:13 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Due to the coronavirus situation in East Asia, would Hilton provide refunds for non-refundable bookings?
Yes! I had planned a trip to Australia in February 3 weeks ago. I had booked 11 non-refundable nights in Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne. I knew that the bush fires were not a problem those places, but the smoke was. Before deciding to cancel I contacted Hilton on Twitter asking if I could have a refund if I decided to cancel because of the situation. The day after I received emails from Hilton Sydney, Hilton Adelaide and Doubletree Melbourne. All said that they would be happy to refund what I had paid.

I was very happy with the service!
Old Feb 24, 20, 3:25 am

Any joy with cancelling in Italy?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: