Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Diamond Status linkage to Aspire Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Diamond Status linkage to Aspire Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Diamond Status with Aspire Card

I know with the HIlton Aspire card you get Hilton Diamond status. Do you know how long after you cancel/close the card the Diamond status runs out?

I’m planning on applying in May/June of this year because then I’ll be Diamond for an upcoming Australia trip (November 2020) and also for another trip (to Asia) in May/June 2021 and I can still be within 1 year and not pay the $450 AF in year 2 (assuming I cancel after I return from my Asia trip)

As a data point, In October 2019, I downgraded my Hilton Surpass card (beginning of year 2 of that card, so got m AF refunded in full) and I’m still Hilton Gold even though I only have the NF Hilton Card. . I think Hilton’s tier/status cycle is every March, so I expect to be downgraded to Silver in March 1, 2020. If that is true, and I apply for the Aspire card in March 2020, and then quit after March 1, 2021 (before the $450 AF in year 2), will I still stay Diamond until March 2022? Trying to max out my benefits with just 1 years AF (have a short Hilton stay in April 2020). Also, after the downgrade, is it a soft landing (to Gold) or to silver (or maybe blue?)

Last edited by kayexalate; Feb 10, 2020 at 12:54 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Shortsighted view to manipulate the fees seems to make more work for you in the future. Do you plan to never travel again?

Because the benefits are so useful, the fee is easily reimbursed with even minimal travel every year. IMO, you can quit trying to game the system with this card as it is now. Use the weekend night and the resort credit and look at it as getting diamond for a couple of nice stays. You can go to the lounge at the airport and have your airline baggage free. You can also up your honors points which is worth something.
dw and kayexalate like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardDix
Shortsighted view to manipulate the fees seems to make more work for you in the future. Do you plan to never travel again?

Because the benefits are so useful, the fee is easily reimbursed with even minimal travel every year. IMO, you can quit trying to game the system with this card as it is now. Use the weekend night and the resort credit and look at it as getting diamond for a couple of nice stays. You can go to the lounge at the airport and have your airline baggage free. You can also up your honors points which is worth something.
Ok, as you stated "IMO", but would appreciate an answer to my question.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by kayexalate
Ok, as you stated "IMO", but would appreciate an answer to my question.
You lose status immediately as you should.
dw and kayexalate like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
You lose status immediately.
thanks! Is this Based upon your personal experience? Or just your best guess?

it would be interesting they’d have two sets of rules for downgrading after canceling the card but I have no data points to compare to (just plenty of opinions!)
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
thanks! Is this Based upon your personal experience? Or just your best guess?

it would be interesting they’d have two sets of rules for downgrading after canceling the card but I have no data points to compare to (just plenty of opinions!)
Read the terms and conditions of the card when you applied. Or you could call them.
kayexalate likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Read the terms and conditions of the card when you applied. Or you could call them.
I haven't applied yet! T&C may say one thing, but reality may be another. Phone reps don't know anything and would just read off script. T&C on my surpass card also stated Gold status would end when card is canceled but I can tell you 4 months after I canceled I still have gold status, so who knows.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:10 pm

Tacky move, IMO.
jamesteroh, hhdl and kayexalate like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think Hilton’s tier/status cycle is every March, so I expect to be downgraded to Silver in March 1, 2020.
Is it March 1 or March 31?
kayexalate likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Tacky move, IMO.
Tactful move, IMO

Originally Posted by henry999
I think it's March 1 (or beginning of the month), but will know more in about a month!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henry999
henry999 was correct. Just got the email I'll be demoted on 4/1.
Guess its time to look at applying for that Hilton Aspire card!
henry999 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:27 am

You lose status immediately as you should.
That was not my experience. I cancelled my Aspire in February 2019 and my Diamond status is good through the end of March. I recently received an email that I will drop to Silver April 1st.
kayexalate likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schutzee
That was not my experience. I cancelled my Aspire in February 2019 and my Diamond status is good through the end of March. I recently received an email that I will drop to Silver April 1st.
Good data point. That validates my question that it seems like if you cancel close to March, your current status will last through the next cycle (which in your case was a full year!)
Curious if you remember when in Feb 2019 you canceled? Must've been mid/late, since I would think if you canceled in Early Feb, the system would've demoted you on April 1/2019
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Before you go to this work for status, I suggest you read the recent threads on what Diamond actually means in Australia now? There's been a new "coordination of benefits" and it doesn't seem positive. For us, it meant almost no upgrades (in NZ) in any of five properties across a stay of almost a month (and for two rooms per hotel), and strict application of the policy of two continental breakfasts only (per Diamond member, not per room), upcharge to hot food ($10) and to barista coffee ($5) and if there's more than two of you, charges of up to $38 for a breakfast, per guest. Prepare to argue even if one of your guests is a child, they will charge full. In other words, Gold and Diamond aren't being distinguished as far as I can tell, and status doesn't mean much... So check into other chains?

Had a flawless stay at Park Hyatt Sydney (although spendy in points and cash...)

Enjoyed Pullman in other Australian cities too.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yaromac
Before you go to this work for status, I suggest you read the recent threads on what Diamond actually means in Australia now? There's been a new "coordination of benefits" and it doesn't seem positive. For us, it meant almost no upgrades (in NZ) in any of five properties across a stay of almost a month (and for two rooms per hotel), and strict application of the policy of two continental breakfasts only (per Diamond member, not per room), upcharge to hot food ($10) and to barista coffee ($5) and if there's more than two of you, charges of up to $38 for a breakfast, per guest. Prepare to argue even if one of your guests is a child, they will charge full. In other words, Gold and Diamond aren't being distinguished as far as I can tell, and status doesn't mean much... So check into other chains?

Had a flawless stay at Park Hyatt Sydney (although spendy in points and cash...)

Enjoyed Pullman in other Australian cities too.
Can individual hotels decide not to honor the different tier benefits? I'm assuming if you have Diamond, you can access the lounge because that is a benefit for that tier. Upgrades are up to the discretion of the hotel, but if one is available (and I understand they can always tell you there is no better room available) as a Diamond you should be eligible for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.