Dirty room

Old Feb 1, 20, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Dirty room

I checked in last night late on at a hilton doubletree. We were tired and just got ready for bed and noticed the room was dirty with several established cobwebs in the corner, wedge of paper on the floor under the wardrobe and a paper clip on bathroom floor and bathroom mirror was a bit grubby

I spoke with reception and they have swopped us to another room, so problem solved.did think had the room been set up as a test for the cleaners.

however I am a bit aggrieved and went to speak with the manager as there was no offer of help to move bags, no apology and just a general poor attitude

make it right seems to me do the minimum. I have never asked for compensation but now feeling wound up by my first world problem. What would be a reasonable request?
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:26 am

New clean room.
Sisosig, Takubon, smmrfld and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:48 am

Totally agree!
Old Feb 1, 20, 6:07 am

If the process only took a few minutes, Ipersonally wouldn't expect anything beyond the new room. Hotels are run by humans and humans occasionally make mistakes.

As for help with your bags, did you use bell services when you were going to the (dirty) room? If so, then it should have been offered. If you took your bags to the room on your own, I wouldn't expect any hotel staff member to offer something you hadn't used the first time.

That said, I have occasionally spoken with managers about things like a lack of an apology so that the employee can be coached. As someone that used to manage hourly employees in a hotel, I know it's impossible for a manager to be around all the time. And unless the manager knows about the shortcomings of an employee, it's impossible to coach them.

But, I'd never go into that conversation expecting compensation. And the times it's been offered, I declined.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 9:07 am

Things happen. Perhaps you don’t travel much. It was handled quickly. Move on.
dlaue likes this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 11:57 am

it is a double tree. you are not paying for “help moving bags”.

you deserve a clean room, which you eventually got. but otherwise maybe your expectations are a bit high.
Old Feb 1, 20, 2:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Offering a drink, which has a marginal cost for the hotel, and probably the OP would not even take, would be appropriate, IMHO
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Things happen. Perhaps you don’t travel much. It was handled quickly. Move on.
I think a limo to a new hotel , like the Ritz or better is called for when a paper clip is found on the floor.

A paper clip! The horror! The horror!

The irony is the next day he needed to swap a SIM card and hey, what I could really use now is.......
Old Feb 2, 20, 12:27 pm

New room and good. In Warsaw once my bed flipped due to lack of stability and also just got offered a new room. LOL.
Old Feb 2, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by travelingschnitzel View Post
New room and good. In Warsaw once my bed flipped due to lack of stability and also just got offered a new room. LOL.
Never heart this before, LOL

Welcome to FT travelingschnitzel!
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
At the end of the day, I wish the hotels would just TRAIN their employees. Be empathetic, be super apologetic... If there is a bellman on duty or other employee on duty, offer to help with luggage. What is so hard about that? If that had been done, the OP wouldn't have been so wound up.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Definitely the apology is needed, a smile and "sorry" normally fix most problems that occur.
DC9 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Didn't even get the impression the OP was that worked up. He came in late at night, the FD assigned him what appears to have been a room not meant to be occupied (housekeeping test?; btw, was it really necessary to give the OP some special sauce FT snark about listing the things he saw that perhaps the housekeeping manager would also note). And he got it changed. FD was the overnight staff, probably trying to study up for a test in class tomorrow. I never really expect that the best service oriented employees are those working the graveyard shift.
Does DT even have 24-hour bell service?
DC9 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You called Reception, were given a new and clean room and that is the end of it.

Were you refused assistance with your bags or was it that you simply did not ask? Poor show if the former and I think you know the answer if the latter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: