Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Barbados (Barbados Hilton) or Puerto Rico (Caribe Hilton)

Old Jan 24, 20, 7:57 am
AGS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum

My wife and I are interested in a week in October or November at one of these destinations using points. We've been to both islands briefly as cruise stops so never spent any real time at either and both would be new experiences.

Any opinions on which would make for a nicer week vacation for an active couple in their 50's? We'd likely relax poolside or at the beach most of the week, with maybe a couple of day trips or tours and exploring the cities during the evenings. I'm a Diamond with Hilton and have the Amex Aspire card, so will have $250 to credit once we're at either property. I've read the threads on both properties but I'd like to hear from anyone who's been to both.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
As a destination i prefer Barbados. The Hilton there is good not great. If SJU I would prefer the ESJ vs Caribe.
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
I really enjoyed Barbados. The beach at the Hilton is small but pretty private.

Puerto Rico is having its share of problems right now. That may be a reason to visit and share tourist dollars or it may be a reason to look elsewhere.
Old Jan 24, 20, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
I really enjoyed Barbados. The beach at the Hilton is small but pretty private.

Puerto Rico is having its share of problems right now. That may be a reason to visit and share tourist dollars or it may be a reason to look elsewhere.

Been to both. Barbados by a long shot.
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:21 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Barbados. The Bajans are among the friendliest people on earth.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:44 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Nothing to do with the hotels, but just note that BGI can be difficult (and expensive) to get to. I thought I saw that B6 was dropping BGI which would leave AA as the only US airline flying there (AC might be an option too).

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Jan 25, 20 at 7:16 am
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:54 am

We’ve stayed at BGI a couple of times. As a Diamond we were treated to the full spectrum of benis upgrade to huge room, breakfast, etc.
Old Jan 25, 20, 10:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
I haven't been to Barbados, but I don't recommend Caribe Hilton. While the bar area is nice, the lobby feels more like an airport terminal than a relaxing beach resort with hordes of people moving through for conventions. Also, they will close the entire outside of the hotel including the pool, decks, path, and beach even on sunny days for mild winds. One day we went to the public beach next door, and another day we went to the La Concha resort up the road (much nicer) where our friends were staying to use that pool while Caribe's was closed.
Old Jan 25, 20, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíve been to both properties. While the loss of the lounge in Barbados isnít great, all other factors are much better in Barbados.
Old Jan 25, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Iíve been to both properties. While the loss of the lounge in Barbados isnít great, all other factors are much better in Barbados.
I have had very pleasant experiences at the Barbados Hilton. Once there was a mixup on the room, and the manager gave us a voucher for a full dinner at their beach facing restaurant, complete with any bottle of wine we selected. And the next day we were given a beautiful corner room.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:13 am
AGS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Nothing to do with the hotels, but just note that BGI can be difficult (and expensive) to get to. I thought I saw that B6 was dropping BGI which would leave AA as the only US airline flying there (AC might be an option too).
Thanks, that's good to know. I have seen that too in searching for flights but was able to get MileSaver award flights on AA.

AGS
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:14 am
AGS
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice, after this I am leaning toward Barbados.

AGS
Old Jan 27, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: Several
Barbados. I don't think the loss of the lounge is that great a deal as it was mediocre in my experience. The relatively secluded beaches are nice, and it's a short walk to Carlisle Bay which offers plenty for water sports like snorkeling and paddle-boarding from the beach. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a little wooden food shack that sold fish sandwiches for $4 US on the way to Carlisle Bay near the dive shop. I ate one almost every day on my trip, and didn't think to ask what fish it was till 4 days in. They said it was fresh swordfish fillet. Nice surprise .

If for no other reason, you can step foot on a parked Concorde.
AGS likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
but was able to get MileSaver award flights on AA.
AGS
Miracles do happen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: