Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

An Embassy Suites Without The Atriums

An Embassy Suites Without The Atriums

Old Jan 24, 20, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
South Bend/Notre Dame doesn't have an atrium and is a little over a year old.
Old Jan 24, 20, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
You havent seen ES Napa then.
No, no I have not.

Originally Posted by indufan View Post
South Bend/Notre Dame doesn't have an atrium and is a little over a year old.
My guess is Embassy is changing gears?

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
The Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista Resort has the traditional atrium and an exterior-corridor area. As I recall, the exterior-entry rooms were added in an expansion that happened long after the original hotel opened.

Image Courtesy: https://bookit.com/us/florida/orland...ort/?optst=195

(FYI: The big white thing on the left is the screen they use for their outdoor movies. That walkway leads to the stairway. Aside from the one window to the right, there are no other windows/doors there. So, the screen doesn't completely block sunlight from reaching a guest room.)
Interesting...

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
I was trying to be diplomatic and said "older". I don't think anybody stays there more than once. My last stay was in 1996 and it was crappy then.
How is that hotel in Phoenix crap?

Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
That one in Phoenix is a piece of .... and should be demolished.
Why do you say that?

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 1, 20 at 9:19 pm Reason: merged poster's five consecutive posts
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: HH D; IHGR P; MB m
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
I was trying to be diplomatic and said "older". I don't think anybody stays there more than once. My last stay was in 1996 and it was crappy then.
I guess you mean the one on 2333 E Thomas Rd, Phoenix? It was originally built as a Granada Royal Hometel. Before continuing I would prefer you read this article from August 1982 in The New York Times. It has got relevant information regarding the history of Embassy Suites.

HOMETEL SUCCEEDS WITH ALL-SUITE INNS

Contrary to what many people want you to believe, Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn were not originally created by Promus. When Holiday Inn got the country saturated with Inns - and later: downtown hotels, they started exploring new areas. For tiny markets a futuristic looking 'mobile home on pillars', Holiday Inn Jr. was created. For the smaller markets the Hampton Inn brand was developed, which featured free in-room movies, free local phone calls and a complimentary continental breakfast. Rates were 20-40% lower than at Holiday Inn.

Based on the succes of other all-suite hotels, in 1983 a 'Holiday Inn Guest Suites' concept was tried out, one year later followed by the Embassy Suites hotels. In 1985 the Granada Royal Hometel company was purchased and in that same year Holiday Inn acquired Residence Inn, which was later sold to Marriott in 1987. In 1991 Park Suites from Florida was added to the Embassy-chain. (All brands are mentioned in the NYT-article, hence my referral.) This short history explains why some of the early ES hotels look different. Around 1990 the non-Holiday Inn brands were spun off into a new company 'Promus' (pronounced as 'promise') which merged with Hilton in 1999.

I'll try to upload some illustrations that go with this information in a separate post.

This 2015-Arizona Republic story also provides an interesting insight:
History of Embassy Suites Scottsdale

Illustrations

(BTW in the previous post, apparently my internal auto-correct refused to type the mixed British-French spelling of Granada-Royale)

1: 1983 promotional ad describing the Granada Royale Hometel features. Really looks like Embassy Suites 0.99
2: Historic postcard of Granada Scottsdale Resort. You'll find a recent, similar image on today's booking pages for the current Embassy Suites hotel.
3: Granada Royale Hometel in El Paso, TX. There was an older Front Desk agent. At check out I asked if it had been a different hotel in the past, because it didn't look like a regular ES. He said some difficult name that didn't ring a bell, now I know.
4: Backside text on these post cards.
5. Holiday Inn Jr, the Motto/Tempo for Boomers. This almost finished one is in Memphis, TN. You were supposed to park under the rooms. Holiday Inn was based out of Memphis, but the pre-built units came from a low labor-cost state, in particular Phoenix, Az.
Attached Images      
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 1, 20 at 9:20 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker View Post
My guess is Embassy is changing gears?
Without having proprietary data or doing a lot more research, I'd say it's hard to know if Hilton Corporate is consciously moving away from the atrium set-up. Most of the limited-service brands like Hampton Inns come with cookie-cutter floorplans. But newly-built full-service properties often come with site limitations. If you don't have a huge plot of land, the architect has to get creative in order to fit everything into one building.

There appear to be five Embassy Suites listed on the New and Coming Soon pages of the website:
https://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en...els/index.html

A quick glance at those hotels' web pages doesn't provide much in the way of details. There aren't extensive images or renderings. So, it's tough to know 1) if they are new builds, 2) if they have site limitations that preclude the ability to include and atrium, or 3) if they are being rebranded from an existing hotel, or 4) if they are adaptive reuse of an existing building.

That said, one of the new properties appears to have all exterior entries: Embassy Suites Tucson East. It's the "outdoor" atrium concept that formeraa talked about. Although that property was definitely reflagged. It used to be a Radisson Suites brand, I believe.

Source: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60950-d75216-Reviews-Embassy_Suites_by_Hilton_Tucson_East-Tucson_Arizona.html#/media/75216/127978496/?albumid=101&type=2&category=101

To put it another way, we're dealing with a very small sample size. As such, it's difficult to know if Hilton is discouraging developers from including the atrium or if it's just due to the limitations of the particular sites where these new hotels are being built.
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:29 pm

Fascinating that people find this worth a thread...OP pops up every couple months to start a new thread regarding some architectural minutia...brands evolve, not really worth a thought...
OskiBear likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Without having proprietary data or doing a lot more research, I'd say it's hard to know if Hilton Corporate is consciously moving away from the atrium set-up. Most of the limited-service brands like Hampton Inns come with cookie-cutter floorplans. But newly-built full-service properties often come with site limitations. If you don't have a huge plot of land, the architect has to get creative in order to fit everything into one building.

There appear to be five Embassy Suites listed on the New and Coming Soon pages of the website:

A quick glance at those hotels' web pages doesn't provide much in the way of details. There aren't extensive images or renderings. So, it's tough to know 1) if they are new builds, 2) if they have site limitations that preclude the ability to include and atrium, or 3) if they are being rebranded from an existing hotel, or 4) if they are adaptive reuse of an existing building.

That said, one of the new properties appears to have all exterior entries: Embassy Suites Tucson East. It's the "outdoor" atrium concept that formeraa talked about. Although that property was definitely reflagged. It used to be a Radisson Suites brand, I believe.

Source: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60950-d75216-Reviews-Embassy_Suites_by_Hilton_Tucson_East-Tucson_Arizona.html#/media/75216/127978496/?albumid=101&type=2&category=101

To put it another way, we're dealing with a very small sample size. As such, it's difficult to know if Hilton is discouraging developers from including the atrium or if it's just due to the limitations of the particular sites where these new hotels are being built.
I never heard of Raddison Suites. Are those rare?
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Fascinating that people find this worth a thread...OP pops up every couple months to start a new thread regarding some architectural minutia...brands evolve, not really worth a thought...
I must admit I find it interesting.
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:37 pm

I remember Crown Sterling Suites and stayed at them before ES😁. Who here remembers Lodgenet?
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
I must admit I find it interesting.
I'll second that, thank you very much!

Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I remember Crown Sterling Suites and stayed at them before ES😁. Who here remembers Lodgenet?
That name does ring a bell, somewhat. I'm not so familiar with Crown Sterling Suites.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 1, 20 at 9:21 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Feb 24, 20, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Embassy Suites Beachwalk HNL doesnt have an atrium.

Space is at a huge premium there, and the front desk is literally open to the valet. Theres a little greenery/water feature IIRC between the street and the valet drive, but only a hallway to elevators - no atrium. The breakfast area is open air upstairs on the pool deck floor. I wouldnt call that an atrium in the classic ES style.
Old Feb 24, 20, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post
Embassy Suites Beachwalk HNL doesnt have an atrium.

Space is at a huge premium there, and the front desk is literally open to the valet. Theres a little greenery/water feature IIRC between the street and the valet drive, but only a hallway to elevators - no atrium. The breakfast area is open air upstairs on the pool deck floor. I wouldnt call that an atrium in the classic ES style.
Interesting...
Old Feb 24, 20, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
That one in Phoenix is a piece of .... and should be demolished.
Not sure if it's the same one, but the worst ES I've ever stayed in in my life was in Phoenix. I want to say it was a little north of downtown, along a highway, and it felt like the entire hotel was falling apart. This was about 5 years ago...had a business trip down there for 2 nights during the height of baseball spring training when a search for "hotels that don't suck" just showed everything sold out.
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker View Post
That name does ring a bell, somewhat. I'm not so familiar with Crown Sterling Suites.
It was the predecessor to Embassy Suites. Essentially all the Embassy Suites open at the time of the merger went from say Crown Sterling Suites Napa, Burlingame etc to Embassy Suites with the same amenities etc I would say Circa 1992 it was Crown Sterling Suites maybe a year earlier and then they converted it to Embassy Suites part of the Promus Group and then it switched to Hilton as we know it today. As a child I remember turning on the LodgeNet and it said"Welcome to Napa and thank you for choosing Crown Sterling Suites we hope you enjoy your stay with us" then it went to Embassy Suites instead of Crown Sterling Suites.

Perhaps someone here can jog my memory.

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Not sure if it's the same one, but the worst ES I've ever stayed in in my life was in Phoenix. I want to say it was a little north of downtown, along a highway, and it felt like the entire hotel was falling apart. This was about 5 years ago...had a business trip down there for 2 nights during the height of baseball spring training when a search for "hotels that don't suck" just showed everything sold out.
There is anew Embassy Suites around Jordan UT that has no Atrium.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 1, 20 at 9:22 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Feb 26, 20, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'm guessing that, if ES is no longer interested in atriums, it's for the same reason that Courtyards lost interest in courtyards 20 years ago: Revenue per square foot.

Everyone is trying to squeeze the maximum revenue per square foot out of floor plans these days. And all that air in an atrium goes for $0 a night. (Not to mention, you have to heat and air condition all that air.)
Old Feb 27, 20, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Sisosig View Post
Illustrations

(BTW in the previous post, apparently my internal auto-correct refused to type the mixed British-French spelling of Granada-Royale)

1: 1983 promotional ad describing the Granada Royale Hometel features. Really looks like Embassy Suites 0.99
2: Historic postcard of Granada Scottsdale Resort. You'll find a recent, similar image on today's booking pages for the current Embassy Suites hotel.
3: Granada Royale Hometel in El Paso, TX. There was an older Front Desk agent. At check out I asked if it had been a different hotel in the past, because it didn't look like a regular ES. He said some difficult name that didn't ring a bell, now I know.
4: Backside text on these post cards.
5. Holiday Inn Jr, the Motto/Tempo for Boomers. This almost finished one is in Memphis, TN. You were supposed to park under the rooms. Holiday Inn was based out of Memphis, but the pre-built units came from a low labor-cost state, in particular Phoenix, Az.
I stayed in a Granada Royale in the early 1980s! It was in Houston. I knew that the chain eventually got folded into Embassy Suites through subsequent mergers/acquisitions.

One of the non-atrium Embassy Suites that's been around for quite awhile (at least ~25 years, perhaps longer) is the one in Philadelphia. It's an octagonal tower that was originally built many decades earlier as an apartment building.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread