Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The latest in Hilton Customer Care

Old Jan 17, 20, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus

Nine days ago I sent an email to customer care. I received the following poorly written response the following day. I have received no other followup. Is this the new normal?

Hi Xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Please be informed that, I have created a case file for your query and the case id: Xxxxxxxxx. Hence, i would request you to co-operate 3-5 business days our dedicated team will revert to you and they will assist you accordingly.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We appreciate your loyalty towards Hilton.

As always, thanks for traveling with us and please let us know if you have any other questions. You can reach us any time at [email protected].

Happy travels,

Xxxxxxxx
Musta Pekka likes this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:34 pm

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Sounds like somebody answered for whom English is their second language. Maybe this is from a work center based outside the US?

Their English is much better than my French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, or (your favorite 'other than English' language here)
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goldmedallionflyer View Post
Sounds like somebody answered for whom English is their second language. Maybe this is from a work center based outside the US?

Their English is much better than my French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, or (your favorite 'other than English' language here)
I’m certain you are correct on all counts.

However, I’m not entirely sure of the relevance of any of the following: a) the staff member’s first language, b) the location of the work center, or c) your (or my) ability to speak/write in another language.

The fact remains that it was a poorly written email that promised a response in 3-5 business days. Today was the conclusion of business day #6, and I have not received a followup.

I want to know if this is the new normal for Hilton’s customer service.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by goldmedallionflyer View Post

Their job requires speaking / writing English well.

Does your job require knowledge of 6 languages?
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:34 am
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
The weird part is that if the CS centers are behind, shouldn’t a general email (copy/paste or auto) get sent? Seems odd they would have someone type out a “personal” reply for content that is clearly impersonal.
twitch76 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post
I want to know if this is the new normal for Hilton’s customer service.
What is your complaint about?

Any time you complain to Hilton Corporate about an issue at a hotel, it takes extra time to resolve when compared to contacting the hotel directly. This is the journey a complaint takes:
  • Guest goes to Hilton.com to make complaint.
  • Complaint sits in a queue at Corporate until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#1) sends the complaint to the hotel using the brand's proprietary system.
  • Complaint sits in a queue at the hotel until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#2) sends the complaint to the appropriate department at the hotel, usually by email.
  • Complaint sits in an email in-box until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#3) does whatever is necessary to address the complaint. (Although this may involve contacting the guest directly, that's not always going to happen.) Human responds to the email with the resolution.
  • Resolution sits in an email in-box until it's read by human #2.
  • Human enters the response into the brand's proprietary system and sends it back to Corporate.
  • Resolution sits in a queue until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#4) verifies the response and contacts the guest.
If at any point, one of those humans needs clarification of something, more time gets added.

In contrast, if you call the hotel during normal business hours, you have a far better chance of talking directly to a human that can fix your problem on the spot. That fact tends to speed up the process. And as a bonus, if the hotel can't fix the problem, you can then elevate the complaint to Hilton Corporate. You'll probably get more help from Corporate if you lead with "I tried talking to the hotel, but they never returned my calls".

Source: In one of my hotel jobs, I was human #2 in the above scenario. I was responsible for monitoring our brand's complaint/compliment software. Although it may differ with Hilton, we were given 72 hours to address each complaint. That clock resets with every communication. By that I mean, if human #4 at Corporate doesn't understand something in the resolution, they will respond with a question and we'd have 72 more hours to respond.
Old Jan 18, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
The last couple of times I have contacted Hilton (by phone) they have mention business hours, rather than days. This is how the last call, with an agent from the USA, went:

H: “Sir, they will contact you in 72 business hours”

Me: ‘What’s a business hour?’

H: “I beg you pardon”

Me: ‘What is a business hour?’

H: “Sir it’s business hours, so 3 days, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday”

Me: ‘Ok so there are 24 business hours in a day, but only 5 business days in a week?’

H: “Yes sir”

Me: ‘Right so, thanks’
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
What is your complaint about?

Any time you complain to Hilton Corporate about an issue at a hotel, it takes extra time to resolve when compared to contacting the hotel directly. This is the journey a complaint takes:
  • Guest goes to Hilton.com to make complaint.
  • Complaint sits in a queue at Corporate until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#1) sends the complaint to the hotel using the brand's proprietary system.
  • Complaint sits in a queue at the hotel until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#2) sends the complaint to the appropriate department at the hotel, usually by email.
  • Complaint sits in an email in-box until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#3) does whatever is necessary to address the complaint. (Although this may involve contacting the guest directly, that's not always going to happen.) Human responds to the email with the resolution.
  • Resolution sits in an email in-box until it's read by human #2.
  • Human enters the response into the brand's proprietary system and sends it back to Corporate.
  • Resolution sits in a queue until it's read by a human.
  • That human (#4) verifies the response and contacts the guest.
If at any point, one of those humans needs clarification of something, more time gets added.

In contrast, if you call the hotel during normal business hours, you have a far better chance of talking directly to a human that can fix your problem on the spot. That fact tends to speed up the process. And as a bonus, if the hotel can't fix the problem, you can then elevate the complaint to Hilton Corporate. You'll probably get more help from Corporate if you lead with "I tried talking to the hotel, but they never returned my calls".

Source: In one of my hotel jobs, I was human #2 in the above scenario. I was responsible for monitoring our brand's complaint/compliment software. Although it may differ with Hilton, we were given 72 hours to address each complaint. That clock resets with every communication. By that I mean, if human #4 at Corporate doesn't understand something in the resolution, they will respond with a question and we'd have 72 more hours to respond.
This is all true and helpful, but not entirely relevant. If it is not possible to resolve the concern within a promised time-frame, it is appropriate to reach out to the customer and let them know.

As an update, I replied to the email last night, and received a response today with a CS gesture of points deposited into my account. I’m not entirely convinced that the underlying issue was addressed, but the CS gesture was nice.
Old Jan 19, 20, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post
This is all true and helpful, but not entirely relevant. If it is not possible to resolve the concern within a promised time-frame, it is appropriate to reach out to the customer and let them know.
What I posted is entirely relevant because it details how the system works when you contact Hilton Corporate.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. If you have a complaint about a hotel and you want it addressed quickly, you should be complaining to the hotel directly.

Additionally, the absolute best time to address a problem is at the hotel. Hotel managers have a wide range of service recovery gestures available to them for in-house guests. Once you leave, compensation becomes far more limited.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
What I posted is entirely relevant because it details how the system works when you contact Hilton Corporate.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. If you have a complaint about a hotel and you want it addressed quickly, you should be complaining to the hotel directly.

Additionally, the absolute best time to address a problem is at the hotel. Hotel managers have a wide range of service recovery gestures available to them for in-house guests. Once you leave, compensation becomes far more limited.
Again, all true and helpful, but irrelevant. My post wasn’t about obtaining service recovery (and in fact, I never asked for or expected service recovery). My post was about two things: a poorly written email and a promised timeline that wasn’t met. Hilton provides the channel for communication, and Hilton established the timeline for response. The fact that *you* think I should have done something differently has absolutely no bearing on my experience with Corporate Hilton in this instance.

Your post is based on a reasonable (but incorrect) assumption that my complaint was something hotel management could resolve. That’s fine, because I did not and will not provide details of my complaint in this forum. Suffice it to say that the complaint was about hotel management, and not something that hotel management could resolve.
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh. OP has been given some useful inside track on how the system runs and keeps reverting to the meaningless first email response he received.

Simple fact is that, depending on the issue, if he wants it resolved he should contact the property directly or live with institutionalized corporate customer service which is slow and largely a pass-through process.
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:56 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Meh. OP has been given some useful inside track on how the system runs and keeps reverting to the meaningless first email response he received.

Simple fact is that, depending on the issue, if he wants it resolved he should contact the property directly or live with institutionalized corporate customer service which is slow and largely a pass-through process.
Like Hilton's email customer service, the poster quoted above has completely failed to read or comprehend the OP's latest post.
hotturnip and smmrfld like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
I for one find it appalling that the holding reply (which is basically a standard cookie cutter copy and paste) is written so poorly. If I was a CEO or senior manager and I found out that my company's customer service was sending such poor holding replies, head(s) would most certainly roll.
twitch76 and DJ_Iceman like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: