Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

No Diamond upgrades on government rates anymore?

No Diamond upgrades on government rates anymore?

Old Jan 16, 20, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Thumbs down No Diamond upgrades on government rates anymore?

I've been a Diamond guest with Hilton for years and as a government employee staying with Hilton often. I actually booked a Virtuoso rate at the Waldorf in La Quinta and was surprised to receive the below "welcome" email specifically advising they do NOT upgrade Diamond members who book the government rate. To be fair this property has never upgraded me without a huge fight even when booking FHR or Virtuoso so it's not surprising (and surely a non-issue on this particular stay) however it does impact many of my upcoming stays if true. I followed up with the hotel and they indeed clarified this is their policy. I then contacted the Diamond desk who advised "hotels can do whatever they want" and "upgrades are subject to availability and if you are on a government rate it's not available as they are losing money on those rates already".

I am pretty livid HHonors didn't take the opportunity to correct this property's assertions. I've reviewed the HHonors T&C's and it appears to me if a rate is eligible for points then it is eligible for benefits. If true I'm taking my government stays to another chain (not that Hilton would care based on their statement they are "losing money"). I just find the whole thing a bit bizarre-that this property especially just wouldn't continue their typical policy of lying and saying "no upgrades available" instead of specifically excluding certain rates. Thoughts?
As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, we have listed your benefits below. We hope you will be able to take advantage of your Hilton Honors Benefits as well as the many unique experiences offered at the resort. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to maximize your enjoyment. If you need any recommendations or dining reservations we will be happy to assist. We look forward to your arrival!

∑ Early check-in if available
∑ 1 tier room upgrade at check-in
oRoom upgrades are accommodated only at check-in if available
oGovernment Rate reservations are NOT eligible for upgrades
∑ Daily breakfast credit for you and a guest, up to $30 daily
∑ 10% discount at Spa La Quinta and Resort Retail Shops (excluding alcohol)
∑ Complimentary internet access
∑ 1,000 Honors Bonus Points
∑ 100% Elite Status Bonus Points
∑ 2 complimentary waters per day
∑ Digital Check-In
∑ 24-hour access to fitness facility
∑ Exclusive Honors messaging app for pre-and post-stay contact with resort staff
Old Jan 16, 20, 2:26 pm

I realize that you have probably set the place aflame by now, but this looks highly property specific, not chain wide, and makes me wonder if there isnít a specific story here. Has this property been the site of any highly publicized government outings with public blowback? My working hypothesis would be that this has to do with optics management, not the loyalty program.

FWIW govt can also mean state govts.
Old Jan 16, 20, 2:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Maybe your previous "huge fights" have lead to this public stated policy. I really don't see a problem with the policy, especially given the healthy discount generally applied on Govt rates, and as arlflyer states, there may be other history behind this.
Cat88L3 and smmrfld like this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Doubtful-Iíve never stayed at this property on a government rate, only higher end rooms or suites through Virtuoso or FHR

Originally Posted by birdiedouble View Post
Maybe your previous "huge fights" have lead to this public stated policy. I really don't see a problem with the policy, especially given the healthy discount generally applied on Govt rates, and as arlflyer states, there may be other history behind this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
I realize that you have probably set the place aflame by now, but this looks highly property specific, not chain wide, and makes me wonder if there isnít a specific story here. Has this property been the site of any highly publicized government outings with public blowback? My working hypothesis would be that this has to do with optics management, not the loyalty program.

FWIW govt can also mean state govts.
Iím hoping itís property specific and not a chain wide thing-thatís what I was seeking to clarify directly with Hilton though and why their answer was so surprising.

The room rate difference from the base level room (a government worker would book) to the next category up is only $18 on a random sample night I checked-hardly seems worth them alienating elite members over what is a pretty deminimis upgrade anyways-just my opinion.

Im not aware of any negative publicity recently at this hotel.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
I travel with a government ID that I use occasionally when the rates justify. Most of my travel is in small towns / Southeast USA where the only options are HGI and HI if I am lucky

So far this year, I am 3/4 on upgrades using the GOVT rate

DoubleTree Fayetteville NC - Upgraded to a Jr. Suite.
Hotel Ballast Wilmington NC - Upgrades to a Suite.
Home2Suite Asheville - From a Studio to a 2 Room Suite. (Last Night)

No Upgrade at the Hilton Myrtle Beach but I have never been upgraded there anywho. Getting a clean room with functioning equipment is an accomplishment at that place.

I have noticed over the last 2 weeks that the AAA rate has been cheaper than the GOVT rate in a few cases but then again it is the off-season at the beach and Asheville was dead this week.
Old Jan 16, 20, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Iíve been upgraded at a Waldorf on a govt rate just last night. I think this is property specific and an email to Hilton maybe warranted as this is not in their terms and conditions of the program AFAIK.
Old Jan 16, 20, 5:49 pm

Dont you know who I am!!!!
Old Jan 16, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
Dont you know who I am!!!!
Yes, I'm sucking off the government and demand to be treated like the kingly status deserved without spending a dime of my own money.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:05 pm

Waldorf La Quinta used to have a nice govt discount pre 2020. Sadly the gov rate is no diff than their reg rates now.
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
complain enough and the gov't rate might also lose the ability to earn point ... that would really suck, and internet search engines would lead people back to your post here as the reason for it

Cat88L3, treppenlaeufer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Yes, I'm sucking off the government and demand to be treated like the kingly status deserved without spending a dime of my own money.
This is a rather weird contribution to this thread. I'm not sure how government rates are different than any corporate negotiated rates (Google, Citibank etc). The higher end properties such as the Waldorf at issue are very rarely if ever at our per diem rate so the traveller (such as myself) pays the out of pocket difference to stay at a nicer property (as opposed to a Holiday Inn or Fairfield that probably is available at the per diem rate). I can issue you that government travelers do not "make" any money off travel and our meal and expense per diems are ridiculously low-perhaps you should rethink your comment.

My only point is that if this property is allowed to exempt certain rates (and I get that people who aren't eligible for it probably don't like the government rate) then the next thing will be prepaid advance purchase rates, or HHonors member rates or other corporate negotiated rates.....you get the idea. In any case I won't be responding to comments any more that aren't constructive to the conversation
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
one of my favorite posts of all time

jg3 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 7:26 pm

OP, drama much? Itís a rogue property. Stuff happens when you travel - hardly worth you starting huge fights, to use your own words. Deal with it.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 8:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by hedoman

Originally Posted by PDXbased1K View Post
This is a rather weird contribution to this thread. I'm not sure how government rates are different than any corporate negotiated rates (Google, Citibank etc)

***Not to mention that not all "government rate" people are burning OPM (other people's money). I sometimes do work for government entities (and have gov-issued I.D. for these agencies/activities) but the hotels come out of my own pocket.

But that said, I've sometimes been upgraded when I ask pretty please on many various rates: Points, gov't, MVP, etc. I don't need an upgrade when I'm domestic by myself, but if I'm abroad I'd prefer a club lounge room.

TDM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: