FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hotel cancelled my booking on check-in! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2003909-hotel-cancelled-my-booking-check.html)

GentleGiant Jan 12, 2020 3:57 am

Hotel cancelled my booking on check-in!

Has this every happened to anyone else?

Made a booking online for one night.
e-checked in
room ready at 1pm
go to front desk at 1pm to collect keys as prefer physical keys
front desk then cancel my booking and rebook at a much higher rate (unknown to me at the time) - no cancellation email from Hilton, no new booking email
in the morning receipt is about £100 too high!

I think I have managed to get the refund for the additional charge against what my room would've been (will have to wait to check)
Not sure if I have been charged for original booking, which is now showing on the app as a LateCancel (will have to wait and see)
No points or stay credit given! (hopefully I will get them in the end)

The hotel is confused, the lady who did this is not in until next week

I am confused!

I've never known this to happen before - all I wanted was a couple of keys for the room. Why I was asked to sign the registration form having already checked in was a mystery - but then I was then told everyone has to do this even if the echeck in - which sounds very odd!

:D! Jan 12, 2020 4:11 am

Is this in the UK? Even if I have checked in online and have a digital key the front desk will always make me sign a registration form if I go there for anything. (If I want physical keys I won't bother getting a digital one...)

GentleGiant Jan 12, 2020 4:15 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31939738)
Is this in the UK? Even if I have checked in online and have a digital key the front desk will always make me sign a registration form if I go there for anything. (If I want physical keys I won't bother getting a digital one...)

yes.

Although they have altered the digital key in the UK - it is awful - easy in the USA

I like the digital one as if I leave the keys in the room, I have the phone!

Or when we arrived at a hotel last week in the USA there was a queue, we just ignored them and went to the room .

Either way, I would love to know why my booking was cancelled by them!

hugolover Jan 12, 2020 4:56 am

I had this in the summer where a hotel would cancel my reservations showing “LateCancel” then rebook them but at the same rate. They denied doing it. It was rather odd and I just left it as it is as I perceived the management to be rubbish.

Probably someone in the hotel made a mistake. You’ll always get the LateCancel flag when it’s cancelled after the cut off.

Often1 Jan 12, 2020 6:45 am

What property? What did the manager say when you raised the issue while still at the property?

zack14 Jan 12, 2020 6:52 am

What hotel is this?

GentleGiant Jan 12, 2020 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31940054)
What property? What did the manager say when you raised the issue while still at the property?

I only noticed when I was sent the invoice for a much higher amount - more than double the original rate. Just waiting for my credit card to reflect the charges to see if I have been credited correctly.

He (not the manager) said he would email me the correct invoice, which he never did, which meant more explaining and time etc.....

Not getting the stay credit / points is annoying and a pain as it is always the customer who has to sort problems out and never the hotel!

Best I have got from the hotel is to contact the Diamond desk etc.

Oh well....

mctaste Jan 12, 2020 8:36 am

since many hotels are franchises, i can imagine local owners pulling this scam to bolster revenue.

GentleGiant Jan 12, 2020 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mctaste (Post 31940401)
since many hotels are franchises, i can imagine local owners pulling this scam to bolster revenue.

Am 100% sure that it was a genuine mistake, but it did cross my mind at the time.

Anyway - am hopeful that it is all sorted now. Fingers crossed.

However it should not have taken up a lot of my time.

1P Jan 12, 2020 9:16 am

Can't you see your credit card account online?

GentleGiant Jan 12, 2020 9:20 am

Originally Posted by 1P (Post 31940531)
Can't you see your credit card account online?

yes, but still pending as there were changes to and credits etc.

MSPeconomist Jan 12, 2020 9:21 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31939738)

In some places, the rate is shown on the registration form. Some hotels even ask you to initial the check out date and rate in addition to signing the form. It used to be common for front desk agents to write the rate on the key card envelope, but I haven't seen this much recently.

Orange.Man Jan 12, 2020 12:54 pm

I had a hotel cancel my stay, whilst I was in the room asleep.

Often1 Jan 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 31940082)
I only noticed when I was sent the invoice for a much higher amount - more than double the original rate. Just waiting for my credit card to reflect the charges to see if I have been credited correctly.

He (not the manager) said he would email me the correct invoice, which he never did, which meant more explaining and time etc.....

Not getting the stay credit / points is annoying and a pain as it is always the customer who has to sort problems out and never the hotel!

Best I have got from the hotel is to contact the Diamond desk etc.

Oh well....

What property?

One of the real beenfits of FT is that others may have had the same experience at the same property and had a good or a poor result with a specific person or a specific approach.

In any event, whether the rate is on the check-in card or other form, it is always prudent to confirm it at check in. 99% of issues are best dealt with on the spot.

smmrfld Jan 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 31940550)
yes, but still pending as there were changes to and credits etc.

What hotel?